When will you be planting outdoors?

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
When will you be planting outdoors this year? I know some of us live in colder areas... (is the snow gone yet?!)

We're in Zone 5B so we'll be planting outdoors toward the middle of May. I was out in the garden the other day setting up a trellis for my peas and I noticed that I have some volunteer tomatoes coming up already!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
April 28th, 2011, 07:42 AM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
About mid May here also. We probably wont even get a veggie garden in this year though Still working on our raised beds. Maybe buy fall I can do some cool season crops.

Central Ohio Zone 5 BTW.

Forever remembering your smiling face.
April 28th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
im hopeing to plant outside mid to end of may. i am starting my seeds in the greenhouse next week - sunday and monday. dh is going to start the soil work this next week too.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽¸.☆
´ ¸.☆´ ☆
¸☆´
´¯☆. ¸. ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. ¸.

April 28th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OhioBoys View Post
About mid May here also. We probably wont even get a veggie garden in this year though Still working on our raised beds. Maybe buy fall I can do some cool season crops.

Central Ohio Zone 5 BTW.
Zone buddy! What's left to do for your raised beds? I'm hoping to do fall crops too... I'm not putting a whole lot out for summer since our little one is due in mid-August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellazx2 View Post
im hopeing to plant outside mid to end of may. i am starting my seeds in the greenhouse next week - sunday and monday. dh is going to start the soil work this next week too.
What will you be starting?

April 28th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
i have a whole basket of seed packets. radish, peppers, tomatoos, peas, beans. onion, lettuces, squash (mostly zucchini) spinach b sprouts corn (not much though) and herbs too. i only have three pots in the kitchen right now, the herbs dident servive well after the move or at least im blaming the move )

im also going to plant some flowers in containers at the end of the week i hope. iv not done flowers before so im a bit nervous about it

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽¸.☆
´ ¸.☆´ ☆
¸☆´
´¯☆. ¸. ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. ¸.

April 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by way2gomom View Post
Zone buddy! What's left to do for your raised beds? I'm hoping to do fall crops too... I'm not putting a whole lot out for summer since our little one is due in mid-August.
Build them.. all of them, lol. We have had the lumber for a year but have to clean it up and pull nails and I just never feel like it.

Forever remembering your smiling face.
April 29th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellazx2 View Post
i have a whole basket of seed packets. radish, peppers, tomatoos, peas, beans. onion, lettuces, squash (mostly zucchini) spinach b sprouts corn (not much though) and herbs too. i only have three pots in the kitchen right now, the herbs dident servive well after the move or at least im blaming the move )

im also going to plant some flowers in containers at the end of the week i hope. iv not done flowers before so im a bit nervous about it
You might want to check the back of the packets to see the planting recommendations. If you are able to direct sow in mid- to late-May, then you should already be able to sow radishes, peas, lettuce and spinach directly outdoors - those plants like a bit of cold (especially lettuce, keeps it from beign bitter) and can handle a touch of frost. Those don't typically start well indoors either, especially not radishes or any other root veggies. You want to start them in their permanent home.

Mine have been in since St. Patrick's Day and it sounds like we are in similar zones. Also with your set-out date, your peppers and tomatoes are not likely to be ready in 2-4 weeks, typically you start those about 6-8 weeks ahead of time, but you'll have to check your seed packets to be sure. You would probably have better luck putting them outdoors directly and using a cloche to help them grow. They'll be late season either way - if you start them in the green house or directly outdoors. Do you know what your zone is?

Good luck with the flowers! I am also doing some annuals this year, I usually only put in bulbs but I have a ton of packets of annuals, so I'm just going to go ahead and do them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3OhioBoys View Post
Build them.. all of them, lol. We have had the lumber for a year but have to clean it up and pull nails and I just never feel like it.
Ahhh... yeah, that takes some doing I can't say as I blame you, it's a lot of work! And then you have to fill them... Actually, all that work is why I prefer to just do a regular garden and do extra work on the soil. Too much startup for raised beds for me I do want to build a cold frame this fall, though.

May 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I planted peas, cosmos and zinnia today! - Can't wait to get the rest done.
May 5th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Love My Boys ♥
Unfortunately i think my gardening is going to be on hold for this year because we're moving. DH and I just got back from FL, which is where we'll be moving to in about 2 1/2 weeks!!! We're going to be in a short term rental while we look for a house but i'm hoping that i'll be able to get some gardening in by the late summer/early fall when we plan to have a house...i have no idea about gardening in that zone though so i'm not sure if that's even possible

June 14th, 2011, 01:48 AM
A veranda or outdoor patio can be a great spot to grant your house plants a summer trip. Like us, they get an extra small bit of energy with a change of landscapes and are in great shape to come back to their normal interior environment whenever the temperature turns. The plant life love their new surroundings and make excellent additions to collections of patio pots. Everyone reacts to the heat, refreshing air, rain and evidently sunshine by giving off fresh advancement and vigor as seasons change.

There is a process to moving houseplants outside. It's extremely important that they are relocated slowly but surely so that they will not go into distress and grow to be familiar to the quite different conditions over time. Exactly like seedlings, they demand to be coated. Start to sit the planters and pots outside when the weather condition has heated up and just about any danger of frost is over. Firstly, set the pots in a protected, shady area. If you begin with the plant containers in the sun, they will scorch - despite the fact that they have already been in a window all wintertime. Expose them to more and more sun over the course of about a week. Check every single day to see that the terrain is wet and there are no scorch marks on any of the leaves.

By the beginning of summer, they really should be completely incorporated in the garden. Each houseplant has its own spot among the several containers. They create a fresh aspect to the porch and patio and can easily even be positioned in the garden scenery to add a definite focal point to the area. It's so effortless to move flower pots and canisters all over, attempt to locate places where they will receive the early morning sun and afternoon shade, aside from the hot sun rays of the late afternoon.

Tags
starting outdoors , zone

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search