baxkyard chickens

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 28th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
anyoe have them?
dh wanted to do this last year but since we just moved into the house we are in now in july he dident get it started. but i was working then and i only thought of that project as just more of a headach then anything. now that im not working i brought it up to dh and he still wants to do it. we have a huge old shed out back and there is a part of the shed that would be perfect for him to fix up to make a chicken coop. iv been seeing some articles in mother earth news (which might be my new fave magazine that i found about a month or two ago!). dh has done a ton of research on it but ivnot done too much, so im going to do a bunch or research and gather info. any help would be greatly appreciated

TIA

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

April 28th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Mother Earth is awesome.

If you live in a town, you might want to check on the codes and policies in your town. In our area we are not allowed to have backyard chickens. That said, when Tim gets the electric to our garage repaired he's going to finish the bird coop that he started building for me. We plan to have 2 or 3 in town, and when we move out to our hobby farm in 2 years or so we will likely have around 24. We'll be using them for both meat and eggs at that point, but for now only eggs.

Have you considered what breeds you are interested in? There are a lot to choose from! If you are going to start with chicks, the time is now to get them. There is a swap meet in our area where you can get older birds, and there might be suppliers near you too, but the most common way to get chickens is to start with chicks.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
April 28th, 2011, 09:43 AM
i havent a clue yet. dh has done all the research on it but i am just not getting on board with this idea. last spring i was still working and dident want the hastle (cause i know i will be the one who ends up doing most of the actual care and egg gathering ) but now that im not i an deal and i actually like the idea of doing this - minus the building part thats all dh. we were talking more this morning about it and i think it will be a project that will happen soon. so thats a major reason iv got to read read read. we have a farmers store that has a great rep with dealing with chicks. we were thinking about 3-5 but you know i read that there may be city rules but i never asked dh about that. he is at work now, but i will look it up and when i talk to him later i will ask him about it all too. thanks for mentioning that. it will be my next thing to look up!

do you know what kind of chicks you want? id so why did you choose that kind?

oh i forgot to ask about your hobby farm that you are planning! can you tell me more about it? or maybe make a new post about it? wither way it sounds so interesting!

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

April 29th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I prefer Rhode Island Reds - they are a standard size, dual purpose, high egg production, produce large brown eggs and are cold climate hardy. We may also do some Ameraucana's later on because Dalton likes the blue and green eggs. We may also add some Cornish for meat later on, but I'm not sure on that.

April 29th, 2011, 10:11 AM
i asked dh about the city rules and he said there were no specifications. ilooke dit up and it was under the domestic pet laws. we are looking to get about 6 chicks but havent decided what kind yet. we are going to the farmers store - checking out what they have and then comeing home to do the research on them. we have decided to definatly do this. dh has the plans all drawn up (he has done more then i realized ) and go from there.

im all excited! i cant imagine how dh feels, he has waited about two years to do this.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

April 30th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I'd love to have some guinea hens to eat all the darn ticks around here but I think my dogs wouldn't do well with the chickens. We don't have a shelter for them ether.

Good Luck to you! And make sure to post pics when you do get your little chickies!
May 1st, 2011, 10:07 AM
we got them! dh came home with them on friday night. it can put me into a whirlwind because i still feel like i know so little about them. dh was ready though. we have them downstairs right now but will be putting them outside in a few weeks. the new chicken house will be ready in a about a week. pics will be comeing soon

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

May 2nd, 2011, 05:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Guinea hens are great watch birds too

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search