Patio/Deck Gardening

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM
AndyBee's Avatar Super Mommy
We just moved into an apartment that has a nice long patio. I want to hang some flower baskets, but also want to have container vegetable gardens on the rails. We face north, so I know this will hamper what I can grow. However, since it's right on the rail, I'm wondering if we will get enough sun after all. What if I were to do a topsy turvy tomato plant? Do you think that would get enough sun?

I'm planning on doing lots of leafy greens, and maybe some cabbage and broccoli too. Any other suggestions?

Special thanks to AlexAiden Mommy for my precious siggy
July 4th, 2011, 11:02 AM
wilkette's Avatar Member
About the Topsy Turvy - make sure you plant it very deeply (pick off some leave so just the top couple are still there and bury the rest of the stem). They tell you this in the videos but not in the included paper instructions. I didn't watch the video tips until after I had planted, and sure enough once the plant got to a certain size it just snapped at the roots.

July 11th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We live at an apartment and I have had some good success with my plants as long as you keep on watering them before the soil gets too dry . Avoid getting water on the plants you want to only get water near the roots area .

Also, I agree bury tomatoes plant deep otherwise the roots will dry out too quickly because the lack of water intake .

I also say make sure you put your plants in an area where they are able to get the most sun on your patio you will get to know as you see the sun go by . With my tomato plants I put them on a little stand more out closer to the end of the patio .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search