Ways to prevent wildlife

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of now to prevent wildlife from eating your plants?

We rent so we cant attach anything permanent into the ground or the fences (all our plants are potted) so im at a loss of how to construct something to cover them. The area we live in has a lot of birdlife, particularly cockatoos and kookaburras. The kookaburras arent the problem, but the cockatoos like an easy feed, and they are particularly fond of our strawberries (and of course being cockatoos, they happily sit there in my window sill with my strawberries in their claws slowly eating them while looking at me, as if to say "na na na na look what I have")

So im curous as to whether any0one knows of any way I can cover the plants that larger birds cannot get into, that I dont have to fix into anything, because im pretty sure my property manager will make us pull out whatever we put in during one of our inspections if it is fixed into the ground/wall/fence.
February 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Sticks in the pots covered with bird netting might help.
February 21st, 2012, 07:37 AM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
Now I just want to note that I'm on the opposite side of the world and have very little first hand experience with cockatoos (none with wild ones) but you might try
-something reflective - such as cd's or tape (designed for such a purpose)
-scarecrow, if they tend to be shy around people
-I've seen heavy duty balloons with big eye shapes on them or maybe a large plastic predatory bird
-to my knowledge snakes are a natural enemy of theirs. Perhaps you could try laying out some rubber ones or some sort of snake lookalike that moves in the wind
-this is bit of a long shot but maybe you could lure them away with some other type of food in another area of your yard (though personally, there isn't much that would make me pass up strawberries)
-maybe some wind catching lawn ornaments (you could stick pieces of reflective tape on the moving parts for good measure)

I also posed the question to a friend with a pet cockatoo and her 2000 bird enthusiast Facebook friends (not joking), some of which I know live in your part of the world. If they have any suggestions, I'll add them later.
February 21st, 2012, 02:18 PM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
Thank you so much Corrupt, ill try some of those.
March 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Bella Nyxe's Avatar Serenity in Moonlight
i dont know with birds and berrys but for land animals you could try mums. i dont think it would deter the cockatoos, though.

♥ღ ☽O☾ ღ♥
☽.☆
.☆ ☆

☆. . ☆ ☆~☆ ☽☆. .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search