Gardening and pregnancy

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Corrupt

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2012, 09:00 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
For those of you who are avid gardeners - how long into your pregnancy were you able to garden successfully?

This will be my second year selling at the Farmer's Market and we probably won't have anything ready until mid-May. It would be great to offset some of the baby costs with this income and I am hoping to be able to continue up until mid-July. I am sure it is different for everyone but I would like to hear any other stories.

Plus, I am hoping to get back to it for the months of October and November.
February 21st, 2012, 06:16 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
We took possession of our house exactly one month before our son was due in June so I didn't have a garden that year because there was just so much happening. I was working full time though and went off with four weeks to go. I was on my feet for 8 hours and routinely carrying up to 35lbs with a fair amount of bending and it was fine up until the last week; my ankles puffed up to painful proportions and refused to go back down. I can't see gardening being any worse - at least you can take a break or go have a nap whenever you want.
I have plans to expand some of my growing space and help my mother put in new beds at her place, on top of the usual stuff. I don't think it will be too bad...I should note though that I'm a SAHM - working all day and gardening after might be tough.
February 21st, 2012, 06:21 PM
OK - I am in fairly good shape so it sounds like I may be all right. If not, it isn't the end of the world and I am still off all of next spring when the babe is 8 months.

How big is your garden Corrupt? Do you have a lot of property?

Our garden area is 5250 sq feet. My fiance helps but he is not nearly as interested in it as I am so the planning and direction fall to me. He's really good though. He helped me dig it all up last year.
February 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM
I'm so jealous! Nowhere near that much, I just garden as a hobby and to put a bit of food on the table. I believe I'll be sitting somewhere between 370-400 square feet depending on how much I add this year
My husband is pretty good too. He has no interest in gardening but he helped with some of the digging and occasional watering and was happy to run the till (not easy with a helpful toddler).
Do you sell at a farmer's market or run a roadside stand?
February 21st, 2012, 07:49 PM
We sold at the farmer's market.

We didn't have a ton of stuff last year - since we were still digging the yard up most of the season - but we sold out more often than not.

I had been planning on selling some from the house through a Facebook page but now I am not so sure if that is a good idea for this year. It costs $200 to get a permit to sell from the house and with the wedding, going to England and the babe it's $200 I'd rather spend somewhere else.

We are allowed 4 garage sales a year though and I suppose I could just do it anyway and lie if the city ever bothered us. (taps toe, looks up, and whistles)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sanfo...15213015159024

The menfolk always love the power tools, eh?
February 22nd, 2012, 11:36 AM
I'd love to do something like that. Making a little cash from home would be a boon.

Hey I'm all for lying...bribes are handy little things too. Who has the heart to hand a fine to a sweetly smiling Mum holding a gorgeous newborn offering a bunch of lovely fresh tomatos?
magz88 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search