What do you do before you put seeds in ?

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2012, 08:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Depending on what I'm planting if I'm planting tomatoes I will mix some crushed egg shells into the soil and then put seeds in them then when it gets time to move them outside I put pine needles around them.

Egg shells supposedly help with calcium while pine needles help with the PH balance.

March 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I plan on doing the egg shell thing with my tomatoes and also the brassicas. I keep all of my egg shells and then grind them.

I direct seed most things outdoors because it is less work for me than doing it indoors first.

We applied sheep and horse manure as well as municipal compost to most of the garden last year so this year I will just be adding things once the seeds are up. We will get more manure in the fal but since the baby will be here then we will have to pay to get it delivered instead of hauling it ourselves.

I have about 30 gallons of pigeon poo that we got last year from a guy near us that raises homing pigeons, I will also add coffee grinds at times. We will collect more pigeon poo if he is willing to save it for us to use for next year as well.

Last edited by magz88; March 21st, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
March 21st, 2012, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Awesome never heard about pigeon poop before or coffee grinds

March 21st, 2012, 04:00 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
I'll tear down the compost pile and apply what's ready. I mulch with dry grass clippings through the summer and put down a layer of mulched leaves in the fall that all gets turned in come spring.
I'm hoping to get my hands on some comfrey cuttings this year to augment my compost in the future (and soak my girl parts in once Bump arrives )
March 21st, 2012, 07:24 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Brendan View Post
Awesome never heard about pigeon poop before or coffee grinds
You can pick the coffee grinds up for free from any Starbucks.

Do you rake the leaves off every year in the spring Corrupt or do you do no-till? I covered a few beds with leaves last fall but I felt like I was doing unnecessary work when I had to rake it off last week. The worms were nice and fat underneath though.

Last edited by magz88; March 21st, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
March 22nd, 2012, 12:44 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
I just till everything right in come spring.
March 25th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Lots of compost here, I think we're just gonna set it in the ground and see if it takes off this year

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search