Swipers in the Garden

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ideas for protecting our Garden from Swipers .

When I had my first start of patio gardening my pot of Strawberries got stolen off the patio.

Last Summer we have had young kids taking tomatoes off our plants

March 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
That sucks.
An intimidating looking dog, paintballs and electric fence come to mind
If it's a nighttime issue a motion activated flood light might discourage some. Do you know who the children belong to? A chat with their parents might help.
We had gas and a partial bottle of mixing oil taken from our shed last summer. I'm 90% positive I know who did it but I would hate to wrongly accuse anyone. People are dumb.

Last edited by Corrupt; March 25th, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
March 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I have been mildly worried about it but haven't had it happen. This is also my first year gardening, and we're in a town with mostly college students who I get the impression don't do things like cook with herbs (which is all I have planted ). I guess someone could swipe some just for kicks but I'm not sure what I could do to stop it. We're in a rental where we can't have pets and I don't really know that we want to pay to change our light to an motion censored one.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my fabulous siggie!
March 25th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are also at a rental live in a apartment complex surround by tons of kids and do know which took the tomatoes.

I'm for sure that I need to have protection of my tomatoes this year because the two kids are still around that did the taking of tomatoes and one got a talking too but he don't change his habbits even tho he know he is doing wrong.

The other kid doesn't know he is doing wrong and is clueless on that. His mom wouldn't do any good at talking too as last summer I caught that kid playing with the fire starter from their bbq grill it was like Omigosh and what is worst he was turning it on as I noticed that when he was trying to burn something with it which I took it away from him brought it to the Mom. She was like oh ok.

March 26th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
LOL when i read the title i though it was gonna be geared towards animals! The squirrels used to swipe my watermelons and pumpkins!

March 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Lorena -Yes wildlife animals can be included in this topic as we have had deer, squirrels in our backyard. Also, last spring I saw this bird that was huge it looked like a road runner bird went to grab my camera to take a picture of it but didn't make it in time. As I looked in our bird book to see what I saw and it looked like the Road Runner in the book even though they usually don't live in this area.

Also, we saw a praying mantis and boy was that fascinating as I never saw one before. It was on top of our neighbors front door and I was like going what is that so I ran to get Brendan saying there is a strange bug you got to see he was like Oh Cool!

We also have Mountain Lions,and antelopes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search