How to protect your plants from the Weather

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If you have pots of plants how do you keep your pot from not falling over or blowing away in the wind?

How do you protect your plants from heavy rain, and hail ?

March 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
If you have pots of plants how do you keep your pot from not falling over or blowing away in the wind?

If wind is a big issue, make sure to use large enough pots that their weight will keep them down. If wind is a really big issue you could secure the pot to the ground with stakes, or if they are on a deck you could tie them down.

How do you protect your plants from heavy rain, and hail?
I don't protect from rain or hail. I do protect from cold though. It went down to -6 last night so Rich and I pulled out the plastic and covered the lettuce up again.

I imagine hoops and plastic could protect from hail to some degree.
March 28th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
I actually keep having this issue with one of my grapefruit plants, it keeps blowing over! It is too big for it's pot i think, like it's top heavy. It's only on the days where the wind is slightly stronger than a breeze that it tips over but it's annoying. I hope to plant both of my citrus plants soon so i don't really want to transfer it into a bigger pot.

As for the other weather i either bring it under the roof on the lanai or i bring them in the garage if it's going to be cold. I think we have passed those cold days now though.

March 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
My pots are on a stand. We haven't had really heavy winds since getting it all set up, so I'm not sure. Depending on the direction, I guess I could either move the stand as close to the house as possible or I could just move the stand inside if it were really bad.

As far as heavy rain goes, there's enough of an overhang from the roof that I have about 1-1.5 feet of space that stays dry and I usually just make sure that the stand is safely within that range when it gets to be really heavy rain.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for our awesome banner and my fabulous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search