New garden pictures thread! *Updated May 28*

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Keakie
  • 1 Post By magz88
  • 2 Post By Dixana
  • 1 Post By mom2more

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2012, 11:11 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
It's been awhile so I figured I would update. I didn't want the first thread to be super pic heavy. The old one is here if you're curious to see where I started (Potted herb garden - planted! *New Pictures 04/06).

As you can see, they're still growing.

Both the rosemary and the basil plants are starting to outgrow my little stand. The other side of the basil is even bushier - I rotated it a couple of days ago and then trimmed some leaves off for a spaghetti sauce I was making.

Being on top seems to have significantly helped my marjoram along.

The dill continues to get bushier.

Alas, though, my poor cilantro was indeed bolting. I'm sad that I no longer have usable fresh cilantro whenever I want it (although I did freeze what I could using a blog I came across as a guide) but coriander seeds are on their way (and they're yummy too!). For now, I'm just enjoying the pretty flowers and all of the butterflies they attract.

There was actually a pretty little monarch sitting on the rosemary plant when I first looked outside, but it flew away by the time I grabbed the camera.

Let's see yours!

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!

Last edited by Keakie; May 28th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
May 2nd, 2012, 07:26 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Nice Kayla!

I don't have a pic but we just took the cover off the lettuce that I had pictured in March and they are amazing! We ate some last weekend at my Mum's not bitter at all.

I just have two pictures that are from last week. A close-up of the rhubarb and some of the aquilegia.

May 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Awesome about the lettuce and your rhubarb and aquilegia look great! I'm especially jealous of the rhubarb - I'm from southwestern Ontario and it's really common up there. Down here it's next to impossible to grow successfully apparently, and it's even harder to find it in a store for a reasonable price.

I discovered today that my cilantro plant was covered in aphids. I sprayed a home made mixture I found online on them so hopefully they go away. I didn't see them on anything else so that's good. There was also already a ladybug hanging around so hopefully it managed to eat a bunch of them too.

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

May 2nd, 2012, 06:45 PM
Are you going to plant more cilantro to eat young as well as let the others go to seed?

I just planted a row of it a few days ago. We are getting some good rain and nice temperatures so I hope mine do as well as yours have.
May 2nd, 2012, 07:28 PM
I'm not sure. On the one hand I like cilantro a lot so I've thought about it, but on the other hand I wouldn't mind trying something else too. Despite the fact that it's used in a lot of Mexican food, cilantro is actually kind of a wuss in hot weather and I'm not sure that it would be worth getting another plant this close to Georgia summertime (it's already been about 90 degrees the last couple of days -- or about 32 celsius) and from what I've read it will likely bolt even faster in that sort of weather.

May 28th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I'm back with another update.

Earlier this month we had to go out of town on short notice, and we were away for about a week. I put some upside down water bottles/wine bottles and paper towel "wicks" as sort of makeshift Aqua Globe style delayed watering system, moved the plants inside in front of a window so it wouldn't be as hot, and hoped for the best.

Most of them held up okay but sadly, the dill did not fare very well. After a couple of days of care when we got back it became pretty clear that it wasn't salvageable. Also, my bolted cilantro made it but it was about time to harvest seeds (they're drying out now!) so I pulled it up yesterday.

We replaced them with some pink petunias (I wanted to try my hand at some flowers and both of my parents used to grow them so I was semi-familiar with them) and a cherry tomato plant. Looking forward to seeing how I do!

And it's totally time to make some pesto...

How are all of your gardens faring as we move from spring to summer?
Earthy.Mama likes this.

June 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
My cilantro have started to bolt and they are only 2 inches high. I might try again in the fall but I think we are getting too hot for them now.

My foxgloves have started blooming.

Earthy.Mama likes this.
June 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Dixana's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW!!! Loving these pics! Keakie the basil......OMG! I can practically smell it!
Mags those foxgloves are beautiful! I'm going to have to do some investigating and find out if I can grow those here.
Earthy.Mama and magz88 like this.

Thanks to the awesome Rachel for my siggy!

October 15th, 2012, 10:56 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Keakie will you take your plants inside when the weather gets cold to keep them growing? I have never tried growing spices indoors, but am thinking about trying because I love fresh stuff so much more!
Earthy.Mama likes this.

November 2nd, 2012, 02:18 PM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2more View Post
Keakie will you take your plants inside when the weather gets cold to keep them growing? I have never tried growing spices indoors, but am thinking about trying because I love fresh stuff so much more!
I love growing herbs indoors! Just put them next to a window for light

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

November 3rd, 2012, 02:03 PM
Unfortunately, between starting full-time work and everything else that's been going on for us since August, my poor garden has largely fallen to the wayside. I think I may just let it rest in piece until next year. I did consider doing some kind of either indoor or winter planting, though, so maybe not. We'll have to see!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search