Question about tomatoes

Forum: Gardening

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Corrupt

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Gardening LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies,

I'm new to growing tomatoes so I have no clue if I'm doing something wrong. We have a very small garden with about 6 plants, all of which have tomatoes on them. The problem is they've been on there quite a while and aren't turning red. Any ideas why this is happening??

The plants also seem to have stopped growing and I don't see any new fruit coming out.

TIA!
July 14th, 2012, 05:36 PM
SouleBaby's Avatar Lovin My Boyz!
From my experience, reducing the amount you water them or cut out the water for a day or two will get them to turn red.
I'm not an expert, that's what my Grandpa taught me and it has worked for me.
Good luck!

Thank you GreysMom for my awesome siggy!!!!

July 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
Are they getting enough water? I have never had that happen. My tomatoes don't usually start ripening for a while though - late August. Maybe I plant later than you.
July 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM
We've been watering them every day, once in the evening. They're called Early Girl tomatoes which are supposed to produce fruit in 50 days, which they did, but I can't find any info on that type about why it won't ripen.

Do you think we're watering too much? Too little?
July 15th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
I'm not sure exactly where you are but if you're under the same heat wave I am, a daily drink shouldn't hurt them at all, though be aware the too much water near harvest can dilute the flavours.
It's the heat. Tomatoes won't fully ripen above 29*. I grew early girl last year and had the same problem. One variety I'm growing this year is an heirloom with a similar short season and they're not doing a whole lot either. Keep watering and don't give up on them. Once the heat breaks, they'll start producing like crazy. The first few that have been hanging around the longest might not have ideal flavour but the rest will be fine.
Hopefully it's soon 'cause I'm so ready for tomatoes!!!!
Ever likes this.
July 18th, 2012, 09:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our tomatoes slowed down due to the heat we are getting so if your in the 90's wait til it has a cool down as the recent cool down nights we finally have 2 tomatoes turning color out of a lot of small ones.

July 20th, 2012, 04:31 PM
We've been having some pretty brutal heat waves lately. It's been cooler the past couple of days but it looks like it's going to get hot again next week. Maybe I picked the wrong year to try growing something new! Hopefully they'll do OK eventually. It does look like some of the plants have grown a bit more and some new tomatoes are cropping up so I'll just keep waiting.
July 20th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Corrupt's Avatar Happy Mama
They'll start pumping lots out soon. I've had several turn this week. You could always try a mid/late season variety that won't start putting out ripe fruit until later in the summer but you'd be waiting either way.
November 13th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Useful stuff! I've got a couple of heirloom varieties on the go in different locations around the garden. The ones up by the house have tomatoes on but are slow to ripen, the ones in the shade don't have fruit yet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search