We're back

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Back from the feeding clinic... again. As expected, Caeden weighed in at 21 lbs. 1 oz., so still down 8 ounces from his last visit there. Apparently last time he was at 90% of his ideal body weight, and now he's at 88%. Since they consider anything 90% and above to be "okay", he dropped below that line too obviously...

Still though, she wants me to stick with the rules, and only conceded on me letting him drink more than just a sip of water in between meals. (I don't think a sip is enough for him, because he ALWAYS guzzles way more than that, and since we're in a very dry climate, i don't want him becoming dehydrated...) So, we'll go back next month, and she said if the new rules still aren't working, she has something else in mind to try... so that's good i guess. She also mentioned maybe switching him to another drink that has more calories than the pediasure he drinks now.

So... i don't know how much good this appointment really was. I'm still feeling a little bit unsure about it all, but i guess we'll stick it out for now and see what happens...
April 14th, 2008, 07:13 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
He's only allowed a sip between meals? That doesn't sound right at all! I would be worried about dehydration.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
April 15th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Super Mommy
Poor you! I'm sorry it didn't go well. Sigh.
Did you ever look into Ensure, the adult version of Pediasure? When my doc said to try calorie drinks for my son I checked out both and I think the Ensure had more calories per ounce - so I went with that (he's 2 years old). Just a thought...
- Xty
April 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
He's only allowed a sip between meals? That doesn't sound right at all! I would be worried about dehydration.[/b]
Yeah, that was how i felt. But yesterday the nutritionist agreed with me, and said he can drink however much water he wants to... She just doesn't want him always having access to it, and she doesn't want it to be hid pediasure since that has calories, and the idea is for him to build up an appetite. So i'm more okay with that...

Quote:
Poor you! I'm sorry it didn't go well. Sigh.
Did you ever look into Ensure, the adult version of Pediasure? When my doc said to try calorie drinks for my son I checked out both and I think the Ensure had more calories per ounce - so I went with that (he's 2 years old). Just a thought...
- Xty[/b]
No, i haven't... The problem is, we're getting our pediasure through WIC, and i just could not afford to be paying out of pocket for it. So if she does switch his drink to something else, i'll have to ask if it can be covered either by WIC, or by medicaid.

Thanks for the info though!
April 18th, 2008, 12:47 PM
anabella's Avatar Regular
Hi, I know we don't 'know' each other but I wanted to offer you what I have been doing and getting some results. We have both a feeding and drinking issue. My son will only take 2-3 ounces of liquid at a time so I have to make them count. I make him a 4 ounce bottle of pediasure and put 2 scoops of toddler formula into it and mix it up. This concentrates it to 50 calories per ounce. I also recieve my pediasure through WIC but the formula was only 12 dollars for a huge can of Walmart brand toddler formula. I haven't seen any formula with a higher calorie count than 24/ounce. In total I am able to get 10 oz of this in him every day which equals 500 calories. Unfortunately, like you said it keeps him from building up an appetite so working on his solid food issues is a bit harder. But for us at this point it is about putting some weight on him. I don't even want to think about what it will be like when he has to get the majority of his calories from solids as he hates food in his mouth.
May 21st, 2008, 09:56 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What kind of ins. do you have? When my dd was FTT she was getting nutren jr. plus fiber that was a total of 240 calories in 8 ounces (so 30 cals per ounce) plus it also had vitamins and minerals, as it is also used as a total nutrition drink. They also have a nutren jr plus that I think was 300 calories in 8 ounces. My ins. covered it because she was FTT we just had to get prior authorization from the ins company, and I paid a 15 dollar copay. She was getting 4 cans a day, so almost 1000 calories right there. She got a can with breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and then right before bed. HTH.

Another thought? Has anyone ever mentioned doucal to you? It is a tasteless powder that you mix into any drink or food with moisture to boost the calorie content? We used it with my dd for awhile. Also, only prescritpion, but most feeding places usually have a sample. This way you can increase his calorie content while in the high chair. My dd is still on a strict 3 meals 2 snack in a high chair schedule (and she is 6). It took awhile and she did lose some weight, but onoce her body got used to the new schedule she sstarted eating beautifully for the meals and snacks. Also, if they didn't mention it, snacks don't have to be potato chips, or something we would normally consider snack food. My dd was getting chicken and steak, and turkey, and what not for snack, no snack foods.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search