Can I join here

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Lisa1705's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello, My name is Lisa I am a mommy of 6.

I have been having a bunch if different issues with my youngest Talon. He is 10 months old will be 11 months in about 2 weeks. He weighs 11lbs 6oz. He is currently in OT and PT because the is not really doing too much sitting, crawling reaching or playing with toys. Right Now the main concern is his weight. He really does not like solids and he throws up a lot. But he is taking to the solids when i give them to him a few bites at a time through out he day just trying to get more calories into him. He is BF on demand and can not hold a cup and refuses a bottle. Next week he has a few new appts. Such as Upper GI a CT scan also feeding clinic.
Any advice for me?

Not sure if I am forgetting anything.

Ashley (loving sister)
9/7/89
Julie
12/19/91
Gage
4/17/01
Carter
10/18/02
Bf'd 18 months

Olivia
1/7/05
Bf'd until she was 2!
<span style="font-family:Arial Black">
Talon

7/5/07
Bf'd 16 months and still going strong!

May 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Super Mommy
Howdy and welcome.
Sounds like the tests for next week are the right way to go - my DD had an upper GI done and I know a bunch of people here go to feeding clinics with their little ones. Will you be seeing a pediatric gastroenterologist (GI doc) as part of the upper GI test? They are the experts on failure to thrive. Have any tests been done to evaluate why he throws up so much? Was pyloric stenosis ruled out? Ever tried reflux meds (zantac, prilosec, prevacid)? My DD used to throw up a lot and prilosec stopped that.
Have you gotten any diagnoses at all yet as to what is causing any of this? I'm assuming not or you would probably have mentioned them, but just wondering. What do the OT and PT people think it is?
Tell us more about him "not liking solids." Does he get mad if you try to feed him or is he just not able to keep the food in his mouth? Are you trying baby food (mush) or are you trying table food? At one point my DD refused baby food and only wanted table food - is it a stubborn thing like this?
Sorry if that's too many questions! Just trying to get a better feel of what's going on with Talon.
Anyway, welcome. My DD is about one month older than your son - she'll be one in another two weeks.
- Xty
May 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Welcome, hun. My daughter was the same way. She wouldn't eat solids much at all, and when she would she would choke and gag. It's great that you are BFing on demand! That will ensure that Talon is getting some food, even if it's not in solid form. With Anastasia we had to win her trust with food, so we let her eat what she wanted and when she wanted. Now she's 21 months and eats a lot better even though she still isn't gaining much.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
May 14th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Regular
Quote:
Welcome, hun. My daughter was the same way. She wouldn't eat solids much at all, and when she would she would choke and gag. It's great that you are BFing on demand! That will ensure that Talon is getting some food, even if it's not in solid form. With Anastasia we had to win her trust with food, so we let her eat what she wanted and when she wanted. Now she's 21 months and eats a lot better even though she still isn't gaining much.[/b]
'
I'm new, so forgive me if I'm not doing this right. I have FTT son (post above this one, I think). How did you gain her trust with food? I think that is an issue with my son. From early age, we were giving him meds orally, trying to get him to eat & finally shoving a tube up his nose. I think he's got small appetite & is probably going to be small, but I wonder if he has some issues going on with trust & oral aversion.
May 15th, 2008, 07:10 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Thats how it was with Anastasia. She was on reflux meds because she was throwing up so much every day (projectile vomiting...) that we were shoving meds into her all the time. The only thing she wanted to do was nurse, which was fine by me until she hit a year. But after that we needed her to eat a bit of solids. We started not pressuring her, I just let her nurse around the clock and try things if she wanted to. So she sat in her high chair with us with a plate of food but we didn't make a big deal if she ate or not. From this I discovered she would eat pizza and peaches. So I tried to incorporate those foods at least once a day (you can make pizza yourself and it can be made VERY healthy). After about a month of that she slowly started wanting bites of what Chris and I were eating, and sweets. She developed a bit of a sweet tooth, but we were more concerned with her eating then what she was eating. At about 17/18 months old she just perked. She started eating a bit of everything we would put in front of her, she started wanting snacks during the day too. Some days are better than others, and she doesn't let people FEED her, but she eats quite a bit now. Well, quite a bit for someone who refused to ever eat.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search