has anyone used periactin?

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Regular
We just started periactin. It's an allergy drug that has a side effect of increased appetite. Not FDA approved as appetite stimulant, but often used by DRs for that purpose. The peds GI said go ahead & try it, but she said sometimes people build up a tolerance to it & then it doesn't work any more. I have 14 month old boy, diagnosed FTT at about 6 months, having issues with feeding & weight gain since about 3 months.
May 15th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Super Mommy
I've never used it on my kids, but - and don't laugh - I did use it on my cat to help with appetite!
She had chronic renal failure (kidney disease) and threw up a lot and didn't eat enough. So the vet put her on periactin and it did help her want to eat more! So I don't have experience with it with kids, but it did help my cat eat more! I do remember talking to my ped about it for my DD and she had heard of it being used for appetite, but we never got around to trying it with her (we were trying so many other things). I hope it helps with your son! Let us know if you notice any difference.
- Xty
May 15th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Regular
Quote:
I've never used it on my kids, but - and don't laugh - I did use it on my cat to help with appetite!
She had chronic renal failure (kidney disease) and threw up a lot and didn't eat enough. So the vet put her on periactin and it did help her want to eat more! So I don't have experience with it with kids, but it did help my cat eat more! I do remember talking to my ped about it for my DD and she had heard of it being used for appetite, but we never got around to trying it with her (we were trying so many other things). I hope it helps with your son! Let us know if you notice any difference.
- Xty[/b]
Oh wow, that's exciting! How long was your cat on it? How old is your dd & do you still have feeding issues? (or tell me where to go read your story!) Thanks.
May 15th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Super Mommy
I don't remember how long my cat was on it - it was maybe 8 years ago that we did that. I just remember it helping her for a bit.
My DD will be one in two weeks! I can't believe she's almost one - wow. Here's her story...
She was born at the 80% for weight and ate well for the first week. Then she ate less and less. Started trying all different kinds of formula on her - now use Neocate. At 5 weeks old she weighed less than she did at 2 weeks old and she was vomiting at random times, not eating enough, and coughing so hard that she'd vomit. I think she was down to 40% so since she had crossed two major curves on the growth chart (75% and 50% she was labeled FTT). So she was hospitalized for a week and had all kinds of tests - upper GI, cystic fibrosis, EKG, ultrasound for pyloric stenosis, heart ultrasound, blood work, urine tests, chest x-rays, etc. Decided she might have whooping cough so treated her for that while waiting the month for results to come back. Coughing eventually stopped, but not eating enough and vomiting did not. So more docs and more tests and treated her for acid reflux. Finally got the vomiting to stop, but by then she, I think, had oral aversion to the bottle. I don't blame her - we were so worried about her that we forced it on her a lot. She was 6 months by then and down from 80% on weight curve at birth to 20%. We made a hard choice of not forcing bottles anymore to see if we could get her oral aversion under control and gave her cereal mixed with formula and corn oil to boost the calories. But no forcing. It was hard and she lost weight at first but then she ate the solids well after a bit. Last weight check about a month ago she was down to 10%. I fear the weight check at her one year appt in two weeks, but I think she'll be ok. She's on table foods now and does ok. Not sure how ok though. My hubby and I are super thin, so I think she'll always be thin. We've been weaning her off the prilosec (for acid reflux) slowly this past month and she hasn't had any this week and I think it's going ok. So we'll see how her weight check goes - hopefully ok.
- Xty
May 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, welcome!

I've never used periactin myself, but i have heard about it a lot while lurking on various FTT boards. From what i've heard, the building a resistance to it is a problem, and that's why a lot of them seem to cycle on and off the meds. For instance, one week on the meds, one week off.. or something like that. Might be worth asking your doctor about.
May 17th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my son was on and off of it for close to a year. it really worked!! i hated giving it to him (just cause i hate him having to be on meds) so i would take him off of it for awhile, then put him back on it. his problem has always been not eating enough. i'd use it again if we had to (he's been FTT cleared for about 9mo now.). the periactin and the scandishakes, IMO, are what *cured* us.
May 17th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Regular
Quote:
my son was on and off of it for close to a year. it really worked!! i hated giving it to him (just cause i hate him having to be on meds) so i would take him off of it for awhile, then put him back on it. his problem has always been not eating enough. i'd use it again if we had to (he's been FTT cleared for about 9mo now.). the periactin and the scandishakes, IMO, are what *cured* us.[/b]
How long did it work before you would take him off? Did it stop working or did you just take him off to give him a break from meds? My guy doesn't eat enough either & we have no reason why. Do you know why your son didn't eat enough? I'm not familiar with scandishakes. When you say cured, do you mean he gained weight, or he started wanting to eat more? Thanks for info. He had a good eating day yesterday, but I'm almost afraid to get too excited.
May 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
it worked almost immediately, at least within 24hrs i'd notice a difference in his appetite. the meds do have some potential risks, so i didn't want him on them more than he needed. as he approached his 2nd bday, and was back on the growth curve consistantly (about 5th %) for several months (and i credit it ALL to periactin and scandishakes together) they said he was fine and didnt' need to be seen by the GI doc anymore, that we'd "graduated". they never found a reason, after all the testing, for his low appetite, they finally just said he's fine, that is just the way his is built. he'll be 3 in sept and finally has a somewhat normal appetite without the meds or the shakes, he acutally asks for food and can finish a whole happy meal, for example. i can't remember our exact dosage but he took the meds 3Xs a day.

do a google search for scandishakes. they are a shake you mix with 8oz of milk and it makes a 600 calorie shake. he'd have one a day for months. i had to buy them online by the suggestion of our GI doc NP and a nutritionist. i know a few other woman have put their kids on them and had good success with it, too.

i hosted this board for a year and hardly think to come here anymore now that we aren't having issues. if you want to PM me, feel free, i'm likely to respond faster that way

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search