Possible answer

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 30th, 2008, 02:10 PM
My little guy Corben got a test result yesterday that indicates he isn't digesting lactose. The ped under advice of a ped gastroenterologist told me to immediately wean him and start him on Neutrogamin formula. I really want to keep breastfeeding but haven't been able to determine if there's a way I can. I'm also still not clear how the test they did (fecal reducing substances) necessarily means lactose is the whole issue. Still waiting on the dr to call me back and already planning on seeing a diff ped next week for another opinion.

On a good note, he gained twice what I'd hoped last week and in now up to 9lbs 6oz.
June 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Caeden'sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just my opinion... But i think a lot of these doctors are WAY to quick to suggest weaning when it's not really necessary. Is there any way you can meet with a lactation consultant to find out if weaning is truly necessary, or if there are other options?

Good luck... I hope you get some answers.
June 2nd, 2008, 06:28 AM
Super Mommy
Good idea to talk more to the doc and to get a second opinion. Maybe google the test they did too to see what you can learn about how accurate it is and what it can really tell?
If you do go to the Nutrimagen, ask your health insurance if they cover it. Then you just need a prescription from the doc and you'll get it for free. We got my son's Allimentum for free that way and it's the same thing as Nutrimagen, just different brand. We get my daughter's Neocate free now too. We're not on WIC or anything - this is just our normal health insurance.
Good luck and that's great you got a possible diagnosis!
- Xty
June 2nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
I did get a little clarification from the pediatrician late Friday (I had a ton of questions for him after lots of web research) and he's thinking Corben has secondary lactose intolerance and allergic colitis due to a cow's milk protein allergy. He still insists that there's no way I can get all the milk out of my diet and I have to switch entirely to formula, but I know better thanks to some dear web friends who I hadn't even realized also dealt with this issue with their little ones. I stopped all dairy Friday and I am pumping and giving Corben bottles of mixed breastmilk and Neutrogamin in the day (half and half. otherwise he won't even drink it) and just let him nurse at night. My plan is to go back to nursing him completely in about a week, once all the cow's milk protein has left my system.

I've got lots of research to support me breastfeeding from really reliable sources, so I'll be armed when we go in for our next appts. We are also supposed to see a pediatric gastroenterologist soon--hopefully this week--and I'm thinking of finding an allergist for him too.

It may well be a coincidence, but with my whole pregnancy with Corben I couldn't eat dairy without getting sick. This had never happened to me before but I just figured it was just because he was boy (my other 2 are girls), but maybe it is related to his allergy.

Very interesting about the insurance covering the formula! If we do have to buy some more I'll be sure to call our insurance company!
June 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You sound very prepared and informed, and i think that's so awesome... Just stand your ground, even if the doctor gets snippy with you (been there... lol). I wish you luck!!!
June 4th, 2008, 06:25 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
YAY! Good for you doing your research! It frustrates me to no end when I hear doctors advocate weaning. In very rare (and nearly nonexistant) cases does a mother need to wean. Lactose intolerance is pretty rare as well when it comes to breastmilk, but completely doable. I had to do an elimination diet when Anastasia was younger to see if she was lactose intolerant but she wasn't.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 4th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks ladies! He gained 6 more ounces over the last week! (His usual was just 3 oz/week.)

We had a visit with the pediatrician today and he also had a medical student in with him and he didn't argue with me one bit about still bf-ing! He encouraged me to keep giving Corben as much Nutramagin as he would take (for now) since we aren't sure it's a cow's milk protein allergy or if it is, that it's the only issue, so he either has become informed in the last week or didn't feel like arguing in front of his student.

Our appt with the ped gastroentrologist is next Wednesday.
June 4th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Super Mommy
Thats awesome weight gain! Wahoo! Let us know how the appt with the ped GI goes...
- Xty
July 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Super Mommy
How did that appt go? How's everything?
- Xty
July 10th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Thanks for thinking of us Xty!

We had the Ped GI appt about a month ago and that dr was great! He checked thoroughly but said he really did think it was only the cow's milk protein affecting him, most likely the whey. In the week between the previous ped appt and this one Corben gained really well and was up to 10 lbs 1 oz! Between the Nutramigen and me going off dairy, the change in him was just amazing! Finally, no more 5-8 watery diapers a day, no sleeping all the time. He just babbles and talks with us like crazy now! Stays awake for long stretches, sleeps for long stretches. Once the dairy was completely out of my system he went back to full-time breastfeeding. His 4-month check up was today and he is up to 11 pounds, 12.5 ounces--almost gaining an ounce a day still!
July 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
YAY!!! I'm glad he's doing better for you!! And I'm glad you were able to continue breastfeeding
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 11th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Super Mommy
That's awesome news! Yea! I'm so glad to hear things are going so much better!
Hopefully he'll grow out of the milk protein allergy too - I know a lot of kids do (mine included - me too actually!).
- Xty

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search