New here with questions

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello I am a member of the Feb 08 PR. I will start by saying that my daughter does not have a FTT dx however I am afraid at the rate we are going she may have it at some point. Sydney is just about 4months old and has never been a great eater since birth, she was dx with reflux and is on medication which has helped a lot in that regard however she just does not want to eat. She used to scream during feeding before the meds now she just seems to have no interest in eating. At 4months old she is still only taking 3-5 oz of formula every 4 hrs this doesn't seem right to me and no matter what I do she will not take any more. She weighed 7lb 15oz at birth and is currently weighing about 13 and 1/2 so she is gaining but I am concerned she may start to lose with the way things are going. I stress about this every single day and have talked to the ped on several occasions, they are not all that concerned because she is gaining and has enough wet diapers but I really don't want it to get the point where she stops gaining weight. I am just looking for some insight on this, are some babies just not big eaters and she will take what she needs and therefore I should stop stressing? I guess I am just concerned because I hear about all the babies in my PR eating at leat 6-8oz every 3 or so hrs and we are no where near that and it concerns me. I know I shouldn't compare but it is hard to do. She is our 1st child so I really have no personal experience to compare her to and I am just worried sick on a daily basis. I should also mention she is a happy baby, does not seem sick in any way and developmentaly speaking seems a bit ahead of the game (she is already rolling both ways and trying to start crawling) I guess I am just looking for reassurance that this is just normal and she just doesn't need as much as other kids her age, DH and I are both small so I don't expect her to be a giant LOL but I am a worrier by nature. Thanks for reading and any feedback you may have would be helpful.

I will also add she is formula fed since birth and we have been on several kinds including hypoallergenic ones, currently she is taking Similac Sensitive and she is getting cereal and fruit once a day at dinner time per ped recommendation.
June 3rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
*tacii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My little guy was only taking between 3-5oz around 4 months as well, but he's a great eater. At 12 months, he's still only taking about 6oz of formula at a time. He'll eat everything else in sight though. I know it's hard not to worry. Some babies just aren't big eaters. Is she staying on her own curve on the growth chart? I don't have very much advice, but the other ladies here are great!

TTC #3 since Dec 2007

July 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; BFN
August 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 3-7; BFN
HSG Aug 27/09: Tubes are clear!
September 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; final cycle on Clomid; BFN

Referral to fertility clinic sent Dec 1, 2011.. the wait begins
December 2011: Vit B6, Folic acid, Preseed, OPK's + temping... and lots of praying
April 3, 2012: Initial consultation done at fertility clinic. Starting Prometrium to induce AF, doing b/w and pelvic u/s and doing Clomid x 3 cycles

June 4th, 2008, 05:19 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Every baby is different. Not every baby is going to eat the same amount at the same age. Your best bet is to follow YOUR baby's cues and feed when your baby is hungry. If you stress and fight her on feedings it may cause her to have anxiety about eating and therefore eventually fight off eating altogether. She sounds like she is a great weight, hun My daughter weighed a few oz more than yours does when she was a year old.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 4th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks ladies, I suppose I worry too much. In a world where chubby babies are thought of as "healthy" it makes it even harder I think. Thank you for your thoughts and good luck to you and your little ones!!!
June 4th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Super Mommy
Is she staying on her growth curve? Meaning, if she's 10% for weight, has she always been around there or is she dropping on it (30% one appt, 20% next, 10% now...)? That's the main way to know if she's doing ok weightwise. If she's over 5% on the curve and staying around the same % number every time she's weighed then she is doing fine.
- Xty
June 4th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Will she accept a bottle more often? You may well have already tired this, but maybe offer her a small bottle at the 2 or 3 hour mark.

My girls were both 13-something pounds at 4 months too. Not sure how much they were taking in since they were mainly bf, but they've both continued to grow and gain well. They just dropped below the 50%tile after a few months.
June 4th, 2008, 11:28 AM
She has always been around the 25% for weight and 75% for ht, to be honest her ped is a bit "old school" and really doesn't talk to much about the % charts, she is my 1st child so I don't know much about them either, sorry I know I am not that informed on this stuff. She has gained a steady amount, her last real weigh in was almost a month ago and since then her eating has dropped off I guess that is what has me concerned, last month at this time her intake was much higher than it is now. Although she has never been a huge eater prior to about 2weeks ago she was taking 4-5 oz every 3 or 4hrs now it has dwindled and really just seems like she has no appetite. For instance this morning at 4ish she took about 5 oz went back to sleep and when she woke at around 9am the sitter fed her and she would only take 2oz. She doesn't seem to be in pain when she eats she just simply turns her head and wants no more. I may be just paranoid about this I know and I am really trying to not worry about her but I am a 1st time mom and something just seems off. Thanks for your responses and at this point I am going to try to just follow her cues and let her eat when she seems hungry and accept that whatever she eats is what she wants, I do not want to try to force anything on her because I don't want her to have a negative association with eating. We made an appointment with the ped for this week so I am hoping they are able to ease my mind a little. Thanks so much for your thoughts I really do appreciate it!
June 4th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Super Mommy
It's so hard to be a first time mom, isn't it? How are you supposed to know all this stuff?!? I've got two kids (1 year old and 2.5 year old) and I still have no clue what I'm doing sometimes!!! Sounds like you are doing the right thing though. Seeking out advice, going to the ped, etc. You said she ate more a month ago and she's 4 months old now. I think there is a growth spurt around 3 months - she might have eaten more then because of it and now has dropped to a normal amount. Also she could now be teething, which makes them eat less. 4 months is right around when that could start. Do you see anything in there? Even if you don't, she could be feeling it. Is she drooling at all? Chewing on her hands? You could try infant tylenol to see if it helps her eat better. When you go to the ped, ask what her weight percentile is - if it's still around 25% then I think you're doing fine! Oh, and does she have a cold now? That can cause less eating. And if she has a cold, how's she sleeping? If she's having issues sleeping, she could have an ear infection, which also makes them not eat as much as it hurts. But I bet it's the teething thing, both my kids ate less while teething (and it can take a month or two for them to pop out so be prepared to wait...)
Let us know what the ped says.
- Xty
June 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I do think that teething is a good possibility, she is constantly chewing on anything she can including constant hand sucking and she is drooling a lot too. I can't really see or feel anything in there I tried over the weekend but now she is really not even letting me get in there to look I will try again when she is napping. She doesn't seem sick at all at the moment and other than the lack of appetite and chewing on everything she seems fine. I will give the Tylenol a try and see what happens. We see the Ped on Friday morning so I will update then, thanks again. Being a Mom is way harder than I thought. I waited until I was 33 to have a baby so I would be more mature and prepared, yeah right! I don't think anyone is ever fully prepared. I am a big nervous nellie when it comes to her.
June 6th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Super Mommy
It just shows you care! Sounds like it's the teething. They start to move around and hurt way before you can see them. You can try baby orajel before a bottle too. We didn't find it that useful, but others have.
- Xty

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search