I want to cry :(

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just put My 22 month on the scale and it said 18.5 pounds. Last month she was at 20 . My scale could be wrong, but I doubt that it is off my to much. She weighed 18.5 pounds at her 15 month checkup . She has not been to the doctor in 6 months because I was having major problems with the old ped and also had some major problems getting her to transfer records (took her 3 months ). I was told by the new doctor's office to call first thing Monday and they will work her in. I am afraid that they are going to think that I am not feeding her.

She just wont eat . What use is bettering things when she will not eat but a bite or two. She acts like she is starving, but those couple of bites will keep her going for hours.

The old doctor ran lots and lots of test on her and nothing is wrong. I am just lost. How can you fatten up a kid that refuses to eat?

June 27th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Super Mommy

Its so scarey and frustrating, isn't it?

So what does she eat? What are her favorite foods? Can you add corn oil or butter to them? Will she drink shakes? Can you get her to drink some Ensure high calorie drink? Can you get her to drink half and half or use that on cereal instead of whole milk?
My DS is 2.5 years old and its very hard to get him to eat. He'd rather play. We use bargaining alllll the time with him. It's a pain in the butt, but it works for him. He likes to drink water, so we'll just give him a little and then when he wants more we'll say he has to eat two pieces of hotdog first. Then give him a little water and when he wants more again he'll have to eat two more pieces of hotdog. We also do things to make his food more interesting and "fun" and we find he'll eat more that way. Give him some sliced hotdogs and he might or might not eat them. But stick toothpicks in each and every one and he's soooo much more likely to eat them. Give him a slice of cheese and he might or might not eat it. But use a cookie cutter to cut it into a star shape and he'll likely eat it. That sort of thing. It's super duper hard though.

I hope the doc can get you in on Monday. Let us know how it goes.
- Xty
June 27th, 2008, 12:24 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
*hugs* APril! (NAKing here, so forgive me), the scale might just be off, not wrong but different scales can read lbs off of one another. All toddlers go through that not eating much stage, we just notice it more because we are so keyed into wanting our children to eat a ton of food to put on weight. Her biological norm might just be on the smaller side, it doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong or there is anything wrong with her.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 27th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Its so scarey and frustrating, isn't it?

So what does she eat? What are her favorite foods? Can you add corn oil or butter to them? Will she drink shakes? Can you get her to drink some Ensure high calorie drink? Can you get her to drink half and half or use that on cereal instead of whole milk?
My DS is 2.5 years old and its very hard to get him to eat. He'd rather play. We use bargaining alllll the time with him. It's a pain in the butt, but it works for him. He likes to drink water, so we'll just give him a little and then when he wants more we'll say he has to eat two pieces of hotdog first. Then give him a little water and when he wants more again he'll have to eat two more pieces of hotdog. We also do things to make his food more interesting and "fun" and we find he'll eat more that way. Give him some sliced hotdogs and he might or might not eat them. But stick toothpicks in each and every one and he's soooo much more likely to eat them. Give him a slice of cheese and he might or might not eat it. But use a cookie cutter to cut it into a star shape and he'll likely eat it. That sort of thing. It's super duper hard though.

I hope the doc can get you in on Monday. Let us know how it goes.
- Xty[/b]
The funny thing is that she is not picky at all. It is just that she will not eat but a bite or two. I have tried bargaining, but she is just so darn stubborn. I have tried the ensure before, but she would not drink them. It has been awhile though I need to try that again. I am going to have to try some of your "fun with food" ideas.

June 28th, 2008, 08:01 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
So sorry April. I hope she starts to eat better. Will she drink anything like Pediasure, Carnation Instant bfast drink, Boost, etc? We add Carnation Instant Bfast drink powder to Paige's milk.

June 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Caeden&#39;sMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh *Hugs* The girls already covered pretty much everything i wanted to say, so i will just big fat ditto them...

If she's only taking a few bites, but is not picky (that's good at least!), then the best you can do is make those few bites as high calorie as possible until you can get her to eat more... The other thing, as already mentioned, is what is she drinking? Definitely get some pediasure and try that again. That's helped my son a lot...

My only other question would be, how much are you fighting with her? How is she eating? Is she at a table, in a high chair, walking around... what? You might want to try playing around with where and when and how she eats... Maybe have food just available near where she plays, so if she wants it great... And if not, okay.

My personal suggestion, if you have been fighting with her about the eating, would be to just not make food an issue AT ALL. Have it available, but don't push it... let her decide. I know it seems backwards, but at least with my son, that's how he eats best. When the feeding clinic suddenly gave us a bunch of strict feeding rules, he completely balked and became very stubborn, eating at most a few bites... if even that. After a couple months of that, i'd had enough, and tried giving him his freedom back. And miraculously, he began chowing down again! If i just leave him alone, he does way, way better...

But obviously all kids are different, so i may be completely off base with regards to your daughter. Just thought i'd offer some of my experiences.

Hopefully her new doctor can either help or reassure you... And as Beth said, scaled can be DRASTICALLY different sometimes... and even by itself, weight can fluctuate hugely (my son can gain a full pound throughout the day sometimes just by weighing him at different times... lol), so there may not be as big a problem as you're thinking.

I know it's tough, and i hope everything is okay and works out! Big hugs...
June 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I bought some ensure and she is actually drinking it this time!!! She only drank about 1/8th of the can, but it is a start. She said that it was good!

June 28th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Yeah! That's awesome!
June 29th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
YAY!!!!!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

June 29th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Now she is refusing it. Crazy kid.

June 29th, 2008, 10:46 AM
typical nearly 2 year old!

June 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Now she is refusing it. Crazy kid.[/b]

Do you think she might drink it if you mix it half and half with regular milk? I know how frustrating it can be! Good luck, let us know how she is doing.

Jenn
June 30th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Super Mommy
Let us know how the doc appt today goes! I'm hoping your scale was just off...
- Xty
June 30th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When I called to day the receptionist did not seem to be concerned at all. I told her that Carly was only 18 pounds and almost 2. You would think that would be a red flag. I also told her that another doctor diagnosed her FTT. She acted like it was the first time that she ever heard the term. She said that the soonest that she could be seen was July 23rd for a checkup. Sigh, I guess we will have to wait until then.

We went to Taco Bell today and she ate a few tortilla chips, half of the beans off her nachos, 1 and a half triangles from her brothers quesadilla, and a bite of my burrito. That is GREAT for her. I was so proud. She has not drank any of the ensure today

June 30th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Super Mommy
JULY 23?!? That's absurd! They should at least let you come in for a weight check with just a nurse. If the weight is ok, you go home, if it is not then you get a sooner appt with a doc. Perhaps a different day, but at least sooner.
I'd be tempted to call up and say I think my child has strep/ear infection/etc just to get her in and while there innocently ask for a weight check!!! Seriously!
Does your ped have call in hours? With mine, we can call anytime between 8:30-9:00am and talk to our ped and if she's out then at least a nurse or perhaps another ped in her office. Can you call then and talk to the ped rather than the receptionist? Or does your ped do email at all? Can you email and explain the situation? I don't know. I just wish you could get in sooner...
- Xty
June 30th, 2008, 03:24 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Wow that seems like a long time to wait. I would call back and ask for a nurse. Maybe a nurse could get you in sooner.

Paige is 2.5 and weighs 16lbs 3oz! We got for weight checks every 2 weeks.

June 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Wow, i agree... that's nuts. And the receptionist has never heard of FTT? I would definitely be calling again, and insist on speaking to someone else if you have to... I have my issues with our pediatrician, but getting in has never been a problem. When Caeden dropped over a pound in a month, i called the office freaking out, and they got me in that day for him to be weighed, and see the doctor. And his doctors have always told me that if i'm worried about his weight, i can just drop by and they will weigh him, no problem.

So, if your doctor's won't work with you... is there any way you can find a new one? Especially when you have a child with special issues, i think it is so important to have a good pediatrician.

Good luck, i hope you get some better answers...
July 10th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Super Mommy
How's she doing? Any update on trying to get an earlier appt?
- Xty

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search