my daughter maybe FTT

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2005, 07:37 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Eliana's Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Eliana's Mommy
Eliana is 13 1/2 months old. She weighed 16lbs 12oz at her 12 month check up and is 27 7/8 inches tall. She has an appt. with WIC and her Pedi on Jan 6th. At that time they may classify her as FTT. hat will happen if she is FTT? What will I have to do? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

December 28th, 2005, 11:03 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I just read your other post. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of the same issues as we have dealt with. If she has FTT they will likely run some tests to rule out some things. You will probably have some tests for metabolic disorders, cystic fibrosis, and some other tests. You may also get a referral to a feeding clinic to be evaluated by a speech pathologist and/or occupational therapist. It sounds like she has some of the same issues as Brandon had. He had low muscle tone and had a had oral dysphagia where he had difficulty with chewing and swallowing. It sounds like she has some of the same issues with using her tongue. Brandon also has sensory integration disorder so he has a lot of issues with textures and temperatures.

((Hugs)) I will try to answer more questions if you have them.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
December 28th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Eliana's Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Eliana's Mommy
<div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE(pattyandthemoos @ Dec 28 2005, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class=\'quotemain\'>I just read your other post. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of the same issues as we have dealt with. If she has FTT they will likely run some tests to rule out some things. You will probably have some tests for metabolic disorders, cystic fibrosis, and some other tests. You may also get a referral to a feeding clinic to be evaluated by a speech pathologist and/or occupational therapist. It sounds like she has some of the same issues as Brandon had. He had low muscle tone and had a had oral dysphagia where he had difficulty with chewing and swallowing. It sounds like she has some of the same issues with using her tongue. Brandon also has sensory integration disorder so he has a lot of issues with textures and temperatures.

((Hugs)) I will try to answer more questions if you have them.[/b][/quote]

January 3rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
A feeding clinic is usually run by occupational therapists and speech pathologists. They work on establishing if there is a phsyical reason why your baby isn't eating (like swallowing/chewing problems) or if its texture or sensory type issues. They have you go in and they work with you on getting your child to eat. They give you ideas and have you work with what they will eat and try to get them to increase from there. It was very helpful with Brandon.

January 10th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Eliana&#39;s Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Eliana&#39;s Mommy
I'm waiting to schedule the appts. We have a ST and DT coming to the house or sitters to do therapy with Eliana. Her tongue only tends to go to the left side. She also gags and chockes before anything actually goes down her throat, doesn't matter if it is liquid or food.

Quote:
A feeding clinic is usually run by occupational therapists and speech pathologists. They work on establishing if there is a phsyical reason why your baby isn't eating (like swallowing/chewing problems) or if its texture or sensory type issues. They have you go in and they work with you on getting your child to eat. They give you ideas and have you work with what they will eat and try to get them to increase from there. It was very helpful with Brandon.[/b]

January 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Are they doing a swallow study with the Upper GI? They are usually two different studies but they may do them together. I am not sure. If they do a swallow study it will tell you if she is having problems with chewing and swallowing. It sounds like she might be if she is gagging on things. That is usually done by a speech pathologist. If she is having swallowing problems they may have you thicken her liquids. I had to thicken Brandon's formula for a long time because he would lose half of it when he tried to drink or he would choke on it.

Let us know how it goes.

January 11th, 2006, 04:30 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Eliana&#39;s Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to Eliana&#39;s Mommy
they are doing the upper gi at the hospital due to her vomiting and small stature. not exactly sure what that means. i know she had an upper gi Dec 24, 04 and I got to watch but not sure what they did exactly. I will ask what they are looking for and doing Friday. i've tried thickening her formula/milk mix but it makes things worse. and there is no way to thicken water and juice.

January 11th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Well if they didn't have you spoon feed her and watch how she does it wasn't a swallow study. They will watch how she eats and swallows and also watch it on the xray. To see if food is being asperated into the lungs and if there is a safety issue with eating. They actually do have products to thicken juice and water, you would probably need a prescription for it. If she is vomiting they are probably looking for reflux or to see if there is a problem anatomically with her keeping food down. If she has reflux it would definitely affect her wanting to eat and keeping things down.

I am sure you will know more soon.

((Hugs))

January 11th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Veteran
she had an upper gi Dec 25, 2004 and they had her drink barium. they watched it go down on the machine. she was 6 weeks old then and wanted to rule out pyloric stenosis and diagnosed her with reflux. but they feel something else is wrong.

we tried meds and that didnt help. we thickened formula and that didnt work. we tried 4 kinds of formula and that didnt work.

right now she is vomiting 1-2 times daily. for the last 4-5 months it was only once every 2 weeks and now for the past month its worse again. they think it has something to do with texture with foods. example she eats babyfood carrotts just fine but add noodles with it and she will spit it out. before liquid or solids get down her throat she gags, chokes. then this causes her to vomit.

doc said it's possible her throat may be narrower then normal. also her tongue only goes to the left and not to the right. everytime she takes a bottle she gags and chokes as soon as she sticks it in her mouth.

she will be doing the barium again on Friday I believe as they told me that she needed to be hungry for the test.

her last pedi, in the 5 months we saw him only tried the 2 meds and didn't run any tests or do anything. her new pedi is at least repeating the upper gi that was done in the MI hospital where she was born. we moved to IN mid Jan 05

Quote:
Well if they didn't have you spoon feed her and watch how she does it wasn't a swallow study. They will watch how she eats and swallows and also watch it on the xray. To see if food is being asperated into the lungs and if there is a safety issue with eating. They actually do have products to thicken juice and water, you would probably need a prescription for it. If she is vomiting they are probably looking for reflux or to see if there is a problem anatomically with her keeping food down. If she has reflux it would definitely affect her wanting to eat and keeping things down.

I am sure you will know more soon.

((Hugs))[/b]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search