Hi - New Here

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2008, 02:22 AM
mamabeeto3's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi my name is Diane. I am the mom to three great kids - Samantha 16, Jordyn 3, and Caden 19 months.

Caden is my "problem" child but also my miracle. Caden was born 2/8/07. In December 2005 I lost Caden's brother at 5 1/2 months. It was devastating. Then just prior to finding out I was pg with Caden I had a kidney stone - had x-rays, heavy duty narcotics, anesthesia, surgery. And one week later had a BFP! Talk about freaking out. I should NOT have been pregnant based on ovulation times, everything - but here I was. My OB who is absolutely wonderful and the best called me that day to tell me how a positive BFP is a great sign. During my pg I was initially diagnosed with an anterior pp. Then during a routine visit I had gained 10lbs, my bp was high and I was immediately taken off work and placed on bed rest. The next day I was hospitalized. Upon my release from the hospital I had 4x's per day bp monitoring, 2 x's per week NST's (which Caden routinely failed - by not increasing his HB enough for them), 1x per week visits to my OB and my Peri. We were able to keep Caden baking till 36 weeks.

The amnio indicated Caden's lungs were mature and we already had the steroid shots when I was initially diagnoses with pre-e 9 1/2 weeks earlier. When he came out he had the cord wrapped 2'x around and was blue. They got him going and brought him to me briefly. Then took him to the NICU for monitoring. Later that day he ended up in the high risk NICU due to breathing issues. We did have to leave without him, but got to bring him home the following day.

Caden initially had issues with vomiting and also not gaining weight. We were placed on Neosure to get his weight going. Caden was also given tagament for the GERD but is allergic to it and could not take it. Meanwhile Caden also gets diagnosed with a milk protein allergy and we are placed on Nutramigen.

During this time he is also diagnosed with Torticollis and Plagiocephaly. We finished the PT in July for his tort and did helmet therapy for his plagio. Caden has also had respitory issues and was diagnosed with asthma. He is on a nebulizer with twice daily breathing treatments of pulmicort

Caden has always been on the lower end of the weight chart - so I really haven't given it too much thought. I am only 5'2 and my husband 5'7. So I don't expect our children to be in the 95th percentile.

However in the past 5 1/2 months Caden has only gained 8oz and 4 of them was in the 6 weeks. He still cannot eat dairy. He does not eat beef except for all beef hotdogs. His food of choice is turkey. I wouldn't say he is a picky eater per se but there is a lot that he cannot have with the dairy issues. We were doing rice milk with him because of the hormones they discuss in Soy. But we have been switched to soy because it offers a little more calories and fat.

Last Monday we had the CF sweat test - which came back negative. We have had blood work done for celiac, metabolic panel, thyroid issues, etc. We should find those results out shortly. I am not sure that there is an answer as to his slow weight gain. He has been a medical mystery from the beginning with many of his issues and the way they manifest or end up being diagnosed.

Cognitively he is amazing. He sings, signs, talks better than most his age. He says so many things and has everyone amazed with his vocabulary.

He is currently 19 1/2 months and weighs 20lbs 12oz. He is 30inches tall.

So if you read all that - thanks for reading my novel. I hope to get to know more information and all of you better.

Thanks!
September 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM
*tacii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Diane, and welcome! Sounds like your little man has had quite the journey in his short life. He is a miracle baby! I'm so sorry you're having issues with his weight. My little man also has a milk allergy along with a soy allergy, so I definitely understand how difficult it can be feeding wise. I'm glad the CF test came back negative though and hope the other test come back fine as well. It's frustrating not knowing why they're not gaining like they should be.. and not knowing if it's just because they're going to be small or if something else is wrong. *hugs* Hang in there, I hope he starts putting on some weight soon!

Btw, I'm Tracy and my little guy is Jonah. He's 15 1/2 months and weighs in at 16lbs 13oz.

TTC our 3rd and last baby since Dec 2007

July 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; BFN
August 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 3-7; BFN
HSG Aug 27/09: Tubes are clear!
September 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; final cycle on Clomid; BFN

Referral to fertility clinic sent Dec 1, 2011.. the wait begins
December 2011: Vit B6, Folic acid, Preseed, OPK's + temping... and lots of praying
April 3, 2012: Initial consultation done at fertility clinic. Starting Prometrium to induce AF, doing b/w and pelvic u/s and doing Clomid x 3 cycles

September 16th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Veteran
Hi Diane,
Welcome to the board! I am Jenn and my FTT child is Cade - he is 6 yrs old(32lbs, 41 inches). Sounds like you and Caden have been through alot. I am so glad to hear that his CF test was negative - my little guy was tested for that too...along with a ton of other things. I hope you won't have to wait too long to find out the results of his other tests.

I hear you about Caden being a medical mystery - my Cade is like that too. I call him my little puzzle - lots of his docs feel that way too. We have been lucky though to have found some really great docs. My Cade has asthma too. He is on pulmicort and foradil 2x daily in the neb. He also has some immune deficiencies and has started IVIG infusions.

There are some great people here and lots of great experience, so please feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Jenn
Mommy to Kendall, Cade and Colton
September 18th, 2008, 04:03 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Hi and Welcome!!! Sounds like you have been through a lot. Glad the CF test came back negative. We also have no real reason why Paige isn't gaining. She's only 16lbs 3oz at just over 2 1/2.
I know that Boost and Pediasure are lactose free. I am almost positive that Ensure is as well. So, if he will drink those nutrition drinks that might help add some calories.
Sorry my reply is kind of short - I'm heading out the door to work in about 5 mins. I look forward to getting to know you.

September 18th, 2008, 07:25 AM
mamabeeto3's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Hi and Welcome!!! Sounds like you have been through a lot. Glad the CF test came back negative. We also have no real reason why Paige isn't gaining. She's only 16lbs 3oz at just over 2 1/2.
I know that Boost and Pediasure are lactose free. I am almost positive that Ensure is as well. So, if he will drink those nutrition drinks that might help add some calories.
Sorry my reply is kind of short - I'm heading out the door to work in about 5 mins. I look forward to getting to know you.[/b]
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately all three of those supplements have milk protein in them. And this is the allergy that Caden has and he is unable to take those.

I'm sorry that you have no answers for your daughter not gaining weight. It is comforting though to know there are others out there.
September 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry my reply is kind of short - I'm heading out the door to work in about 5 mins. I look forward to getting to know you.[/b]
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately all three of those supplements have milk protein in them. And this is the allergy that Caden has and he is unable to take those.

I'm sorry that you have no answers for your daughter not gaining weight. It is comforting though to know there are others out there.
[/b]
Darn - sorry that won't work either. My 1 year old has a milk and soy protein allergy but fortunately NO problem at all gaining weight. She is my little chunky monkey. lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search