Hello all New Here

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone,

I'm Megan and I'm a mommy to 3, I'm married to a navy submariner. My three children are Nathaniel who is 5 years old, Savannah who is almost 3 years old, and Roscoe who is 22 months old.

My two boys are good eaters and are very very active. Infact, my youngest can out eat all three of them. But Savannah my baby girl, has had such a hard time with food. When she was an infact she had no problems, I breast fed untill I could no longer, then I put her on regular formula. Then we switched to milk. Thats when she started to no longer gain weight, so I would add formula to the milk. She never took to eating. I would sit for hours pulling my hair out trying to get her to eat. I tried everything all the baby food I could find, regular food through the food processor, etc. She started to get a bloated belly, and all the doctors kept telling me to do was feed her Ice cream, cheese, and other high calorie items. They said even though she wasn't really gaining much weight, she was still on the chart, and they had no real explination for her belly always being bloated. She slowly bumped up her eating habbits and never really turned away anything put infront of her. BUT she would only eat a bite or two and that was it.

So in March of this year all of a sudden she started loosing weight and then basicly went lythargic. We rushed her to the ER and they thought she may have had an intestinal blockage, but when they did their initial test they couldn't find anything. So they sent us off to the Children's hospital. We spent 8 days there doing testing after testing and nothing could be found (accept for extreamly high folic acid and low iron). They also tracked her eating, giving her every type of food children love, while we were there and on average she only took in about 300 cal. a day and she weighed 21.9lbs. So they put her on 3-4 pediasures a day. We've continued doing testing on many other things since we've left the hospital and still everything comes up negative and we have gotten her teath fixed (they grew in with no enamal and started to crumble). We thought her teath may have been her cause for not eating, but so far it doesn't look that way.

She's always has been super active, still is to this day. Since march she has gained 2 lbs. Which is a feat!! but her eating habits have not really cahnged at all, the pediasures have really been whats kept her going. We try everything , and we incourage eating with out TV and before she gets her pediasure, she doesn't graze because we want her to be hungry for the next meal, and we try to eat dinner as close to bedtime so she doesn't burn off the calories. She goes to daycare and seems to eat much better there around others her age. She hates icecream, but besides that she will eat mostly anything put infront of her, but still its only a few bites per meal.

So right now she is exactly 24lbs and is 29.9 inches tall and will be 3 years old on December 15th. We are really hoping to soon be past all this, but its all hopes right now. The doctors say that sometimes they just grow out of it... I hope she does, Its killing me that we can't find the cause.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

January 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Good news at the last apt. we put her on an apitite stimulator. The not so good news is that she hasn't seemed to gain any weight at this point, but does seem to be hungry (which is a change). She got on a poptart kick, and I was hoping it would last b/c of the calories... but it didn't last too long.

January 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
*tacii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I hope the appetite stimulant will help. Have they done testing for reflux?

TTC our 3rd and last baby since Dec 2007

July 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; BFN
August 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 3-7; BFN
HSG Aug 27/09: Tubes are clear!
September 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; final cycle on Clomid; BFN

Referral to fertility clinic sent Dec 1, 2011.. the wait begins
December 2011: Vit B6, Folic acid, Preseed, OPK's + temping... and lots of praying
April 3, 2012: Initial consultation done at fertility clinic. Starting Prometrium to induce AF, doing b/w and pelvic u/s and doing Clomid x 3 cycles

January 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
welcome!!! I Hope she starts to gain weight for you!! Sounds like they have her on a good plan!

January 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, they tested for reflux when they tested for wheat allergies, dairy allergies, and did the endoscopy.. they did a couple of other tests too, during that time.. but at the moment they've slipped my mind.. we've done so much testing that it seems like a blur.

Thank you both for the welcome! Its nice to find somewhere a place where people understand the issue.

January 14th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I'm glad they've covered their bases with the testing. Has she always been a picky eater and slow gainer? My little guy likes milk shakes and it's great for calories.

December 2011: Vit B6, Folic acid, Preseed, OPK's + temping... and lots of praying
April 3, 2012: Initial consultation done at fertility clinic. Starting Prometrium to induce AF, doing b/w and pelvic u/s and doing Clomid x 3 cycles

January 14th, 2009, 01:10 PM
she's not very picky about food, if you put a plate of food infront of her, she will try everything but she will only eat a bite or two of anything infront of her. Savannah will take a sip or two of milkshakes but she doesn't like them along the same lines of ice cream, I think its too cold for her and when they are melted she won't touch them. LOL But yeah she's always been this way.

When she was born I breast fed her untill i dried up (all 3 of my kids I dried up after a few weeks~few months), then she went to regular formula. She was on formula untill she was 12mo. and I started to switch her over to milk and she did ok, but she didn't eat much; I tried baby jar food, making our own baby food, and using a mesh thing with food inside it. So I started giving her some formula with her milk to supliment. She used to fight so much when it came to eating, crying, spitting the food out, etc. and from 1yr untill we got in the hospital at 2yrs 3mo, she had a belly that made her look like an ethiopian. We tried all kinds of foods everything under the sun, what she really took to more than anything was fresh fruit... but as we all know fruit doesn't have much calories.

January 14th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I know it's frustrating. Hopefully the appetite stimulant will help. Does she like to snack? My little doesn't like ice cream either, but milk shakes he'll drink better than other things.

January 16th, 2009, 08:01 AM
She does sometimes, but we've been told by the nutrionist to stop any snacking so that she will be more hungry and meal times or scheduled snacks.. Sometimes we still let her sanck if its a good eating day.

January 19th, 2009, 06:35 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Welcome. Hope you are able to find some answers soon. It is definitely frustrating not having answers. (((hugs)))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search