New here

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son had his 6 month well baby visit today and he lost an ounce since his 4 month appointment. He looks fine, grew in height an inch, but isn't gaining weight. He's hitting his milestones just fine, so they aren't really concerned yet. They are concerned enough that I have to bring him in for a weight check next month.

He's breastfed and I've been trying to feed him solids, but he just doesn't like them. He'll eat cheerios fine and will open his mouth for them, but not baby food. I've been doing a song and dance show to get him to open his mouth. If I can get the food into his mouth he'll eat it most of the time. I hate forcing him to eat, but now I'm concerned about his weight.

I don't want to give him formula, but his pedi recommended maybe doing one bottle of formula a day. He has a milk allergy, so it'd have to be soy formula. I just don't know what to do. I feel like such a bad mom.

January 17th, 2006, 01:47 AM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Hi there!

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think if you decide to give him a bottle a day of formula, make sure to pump for that feeding, so you don't deplete(sp) your supply.

Have you tried pumping and giving him hindmilk as a suppliment? You can pump on one side while he's nursing on the other. Usually you can tell the difference between hindmilk and foremilk, b/c hindmilk's creamier-looking, while foremilk is more transparent. Hindmilk is a lot higher in calories than foremilk. You might want to try that first. Or pump for a few minutes before you nurse him, so he has more of a chance of getting at the hindmilk while he eats.

February 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Bug-n-Ed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just wanted to update on my son's weight gain issues. It turns out the main problem for him was that I wasn't producing enough milk due to the fact that I had hypothyroidism. Once I got on thyroid meds my milk supply increased and he started gaining weight again. Thanks for your support.

February 27th, 2006, 03:07 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
That is great news!

BTW, your siggie is adorable. I love it!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search