Hello

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2009, 10:57 AM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I introduced myself once a long time ago and then left. Sorry about that. My foster son is 22 months old and is FTT. He is in the 75% for height, the 65% for head circ. and below the 3% for weight. There is no known medical reason for it and most doctors assume it is because he wasn't fed much at all when he was an infant.

He eats pediasure (32 oz. a day) and we're working on getting him to eat other foods. He has started eating crackers now without throwing up. He has major texture issues with food and often throws up anything thicker than about a 2nd baby food. The crackers are the first real solid foods he has ever eaten well.

I took him to the feeding clinic in town yesterday (first time he's ever been there) and they basically said to stop allowing him to just have the bottle of pediasure all the time. Give him 6 or so minimeals a day which include the bottle, but don't just give him the bottle all day. This scares the crap out of me since we just got him to start gaining weight. He weighs right at 20lbs at 22 months old and is 32 inches long. He's just very very skinny. So, I guess I'm just looking for encouragement that this will work and he won't just lose everything we've tried so hard to get!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!
February 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
*tacii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I don't have much advice for you but I can offer support and hugs. My little guy is 20.5 months and weighs 18lbs, 31 inches. So I do feel you on the weight issue. Wishing you lots of luck with the minimeals, I hope he puts on some weight!

TTC #3 since Dec 2007

July 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; BFN
August 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 3-7; BFN
HSG Aug 27/09: Tubes are clear!
September 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; final cycle on Clomid; BFN

Referral to fertility clinic sent Dec 1, 2011.. the wait begins
December 2011: Vit B6, Folic acid, Preseed, OPK's + temping... and lots of praying
April 3, 2012: Initial consultation done at fertility clinic. Starting Prometrium to induce AF, doing b/w and pelvic u/s and doing Clomid x 3 cycles

February 19th, 2009, 04:52 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Best of luck to you. I hope he starts to gain faster! Let us know how the minimeals work out for you (and him).

February 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM
roving_gypsy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is 2'11, and weighs 24.8oz at age 3yrs2mos. She is perscribed 3 8oz pediasures a day, with no known reason why she is not eating much or gaining weight.

We were also told to stop the grazing and the milk/pediasure in a sippy cup with her all day. They told us the reason was is she needed to learn what it felt like to be hungry, so that she'd possibly eat more at meal time. We've moved the TV and other distractions out of view, and we all sit and eat as a family at meal time (they also do this at her daycare). We also incourage cal. adders like butter, syrup, sour cream, ranch, etc. to anything she will actually eat.

When she was 1 - 2yrs old She wouldn't eat solid food, she refused baby food and everything I tried.. She also had texture issues. (she was born full term, 8lbs5oz, breast fed and then bottle fed and hit her milestones..... ), we would push her so hard to eat and it seemed like the more we pushed her the more she wouldn't eat. So we just resorted to offering her everything we could, we wouldn't push her we'd just set it infront of her and then pick it up when everyone was done or if she was eating it we'd pick it up when she was done. Its very very hard to do, but I've found that my daughter is extreamly independant at heart and she will only eat when she wants to..

My daughter eats but after a few bites of solid food she is full, she will not eat ice cream, or sweets and prefers fresh fruit and veggies over other foods. She was watched for 8 days while we were admited in the hospital and she'd only eat a max of 300 cal. a day, so thats why we were put on the three pediasures a day. Now at meal time, I cook each meal and try to give her many options. Like tonight we had stirfry, so I gave her a plate with stirfry, a slice of avacado, carrots, and juice with a promise of yougart if she ate some, oh and there was some sushi (no raw meat in it) on a plate in the middle of the table. So she ate the carrots, asked for a piece of sushi but didn't eat it, refused the avacado, and took a bite of a strip of pork in the stirfry when I told her I'd get the yogart if she ate that piece of pork. It took a long time to get the pork down with a lot of ugly faces, but then she got her yogart... she ate about half of it (1/4 cup). Now it took her about 45min-1hour to eat only that! We've learned to slow down meal time alot, we eat slower to give her more time. Also I don't put much on her plate because I'm afraid it might overwhelm her, so I give her options but only a small amount of each and she's always more than welcome to ask for more, even if we know she won't eat it.

I can tell you, after a year of minimizing the snacking and the cup between meals, that not much has changed. She hasn't lost weight, but she hasn't really eaten any more than what she would eat on a normal day of snacking. She is saying she is hungry and I believe that she understands what the feeling is now, but she still doesn't eat very much.

Our only big improvement is her new found love for poptarts.. she asks for them at snack time after 'school'/daycare(its actually rare for her to ask for them at dinner, but she does at times) and she will eat one whole poptart, and she usually gives the other one in the pack to her brothers to share. LOL

We have days where she will eat alot and then days where she will eat almost nothing. I really can't wait to find the reason why, if we ever do.

I'm sorry to ramble but I wanted to let you know that my daughter was similar and we we were told the same things. It is a scary thought to take away the option of eating and snaking all through the day, especially for those of us with kids who we just want to give food to at all times. But it does help them learn what it feels like to be hungry and want food/pediasure, and if thats all they learn at first then I consider it a step forward! I wish you luck with your little one!!!

oh, and I wanted to add that with our pediasure, we give her one as soon as she gets up (pre-breakfast around 6:30), then she eats breakfast around 8am, then she eats lunch with pediasure around 11:30am, then she has an afternoon snack with a pediasure around 3 or 4 pm. And When she gets home she will either have dinner or she will have a after school snack and then dinner an hour or two later. If its been a bad day for eating then sometimes we will give her a fourth pediasure right before bed.

Ask me about dōTERRA Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils!

Or click on the picture above to visit my Facebook page!

February 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
welcome back!
I don't really have much advice either as my FTT is 8mos old and weighs 12lbs. I hope the mini meals help and he is able to start gaining some weight!

February 21st, 2009, 01:06 PM
SarahBethsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*Stones*, Thanks so much for all the information! Lil Buddy sounds very much like your daughter except for all his delays. He won't eat anymore than normal either, but at least he isn't refusing the food we try to give him right now.

So far he is doing well. We've gone 2 whole days without throw up! That's a record!! He doesn't much care for graham crackers, but we're trying different things. I bought some pudding today and will try mixing it with his pediasure to be a snack later. He ate some at the feeding clinic and seemed to like it. We'll see.

In other news he's starting to get to sitting by himself now. I found him in his crib yesterday morning just sitting up and playing. It is the first time he's ever sat up unassisted. Today, DH has been watching the kids while I was shopping and he said Lil Buddy was crawling to things and sitting up fairly regularly. He is still struggling a lot to do it and needs something pull up on to get there... but WOW! I'm loving it!

Thank you to AlexAiden Mommy for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search