GI appt today...venting

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
A little overview...

Until we found out Danny was allergic to soy 02/11/09 DS had diarrhea 5-6 times everyday. From about 02/15-04/02 he still had somewhat runny stool but was only 2 times a day. Since 04/02 he has been back up to 5-6 times a day, liquid/runny and green/tan. He has not gained anything in 2 months and has now stopped eating.

The GI said that all his test results came back normal except for the Celiac Genetic Screening and that since he "gained 6 ounces" (not sure how they figure that as he goes to the allergist for a weight check weekly and has actually lost 2 ounces...) and he is apparently "medically stable" they are not going to do anything and just see if the diarrhea goes away over the next four weeks.

WHAT???? So he has had diarrhea for two weeks allready and they won't do anything about it for another four weeks. That means that apparently a child having diarrhea for all but 6 weeks of his life (right after eliminating soy) is completely normal according to him. Does that seem a little off to you guys? I got the weights from the allergist so that they could see the weight and loss pattern not the weight itself and he said that they don't accept weights from any other office as valid...WTH? He went on to say that there is no need to do anymore testing and if Danny's "condition" as he called it starts to concern me that I can bring him back in. I said that I was allready concerned and guess what...The BRUSH OFF! Then he said that if I needed anything to call in and they would see what they could do...I said well I really don't agree with anything you are saying but it doesn't really seem like I have a choice. He told me that I was welcome to get a second opinion...

So we scheduled an appt with the last GI in our region for the second opinion on the 28th. I really hope that it goes well this time! I hope that if nothing else he will give me an answer to my questions even if it is not an answer to Danny's problems instead of more excuses why not to do anything for four weeks...

If you got through that and understood it thank you and if you would do anything different or think I am a hypochondriac please let me know because sometimes I wonder if I rely on my gut feelings too much and not on what is actually visible to a DR that sees him for 15 minutes out of the month compared to me all day everyday...KWIM

TIA.
April 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
((((hugs))) I am so sorry hun..we just went through this with Abbey, she had diahrrea for 18 days straight, we did finally do a stool smaple and it came back fine, she had some kind of "bug."
I know how frustrating it is to not get answers,and i am glad you decided to get another opinion.

April 18th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It isn't just the diarrhea though...other than he had it for 19 months straight, took a 1.5 month break and is back to it again. That doesn't make sense to me. I just hope that if nothing else the new GI will give me reasons that I shouldn't worry other than well it might be this or it could be that but is shouldn't be this so really you probably don't have to worry...
KWIM
April 19th, 2009, 10:58 AM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
I'm so sorry. I know what it's like to have the docs just attribute some abnormality to being your child's "baseline." A lot of times, that means, "I don't know." So, I'm all for finding someone who DOES know!

Glad you decided to get a second opinion. I think that you should have asked the doc if he would have liked having diarrhea for his whole life, minus 6 weeks. You can bet he'd have been trying to get his 50th opinion.

(((HUGS)))
April 22nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys...I hate it when you know something is not right and then so many people try to tell you it is fine that you start to wonder if you are nuts. It is always good to know that there is someone who understands that you aren't completely insane!
April 25th, 2009, 09:44 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
Well, you're not crazy because of THIS, anyway!

I hope that you get answers!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search