Question

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Hi, I'm Renee. I haven't posted here before. Here is my story....

DD#2 (Paige) weighed 5lbs5oz at birth on Jan 26. Then 5lbs2oz when she left the hospital. Then at 1 week old she was 4lbs15oz. Then at 2 weeks she was 4lbs16oz. Then at 3 weeks she was back down to 4lbs 14oz. The Dr is having me bring her in again tomorrow weighed. She wants to keep monitoring Paige's weight every week until she is at least 6lbs and also gaining consistently. I weighed her tonight on DH's mail scale and according to that she is still at 4lb 14oz.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had problems like this with their child and what was done to help him/her gain weight. I really don't know what is going to happen at the Dr's office tomorrow and I am really worried for my DD.

ETA: It doesn't seem to be a feeding issue as she is eating every 2-3 hours. I am breastfeeding and supplementing with Similac Neosure since it is 22 cal/oz where most formulas are 20 cal/oz. She is taking about 2-2.5 oz per feeding when we supplement and she is nursing for 15-20 mins on each breast when breastfeeding in addition to .5-1 oz of the formula.

Update - - -

Paige's weight today is 4lbs 13oz. The Dr is giving her 1 more week to gain some weight. If she doesn't weigh at least 5lbs next Friday then they are going to admit her to the hospital and put her on a feeding tube. I am sooo sad I left the office and have been crying since. I had been breastfeeding and supplementing due to supply issues. I have decided to give up the breastfeeding and just give her formula. She is being fed a higher calorie formula so I really hope this helps and she gains some weight this week. I can't bare to have her re-admitted to the hospital and even though I really wanted to breastfeed getting her to a healthier weight is more important.

weight at birth - 5lbs 5oz
left hosp (2 days) - 5lbs 2oz
1 week old - 4lbs 15oz
2 weeks old - 4lbs 16oz
3 weeks old - 4lbs 14oz
4 weeks old - 4lbs 13oz

February 24th, 2006, 02:52 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Oh ((Hugs)) I totally understand your feelings. Brandon had similar issues with breastfeeding. We ended up having to use a supplemental nursing system and he picked up weight but he still had a lot of problems. Brandon's problems were with oral motor problems. He had dysphagia so this is why he had problems sucking and swallowing. I hope that your baby starts to pick up weight soon. Its really hard to say what is going on. With Brandon they did a ton of tests. I am sure that your doctor will run a lot of tests too if she doesn't start picking up weight.

Keep us posted. And sending you some weight gain vibes. (((((((Hugs)))))

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 1st, 2006, 03:26 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Just wanted to give you another update. Paige has been on a higher calorie formula - 27 calories per oz instead of 20. She is doing really well on it and is back up to 5lbs! I have been weighing her everyday on our mail scale! She goes for her official weight re-check on Friday. The Dr does think she has some sort of an oral motor problem. She is waiting on the tests to see how she does on the new formula. She thinks it is possible that she may grow out of her oral motor problem. As long as she is gaining weight she is going to hold off on the tests for a couple of months.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search