New here...*Updated*

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM
lostlady21's Avatar Sarah--Joey's mom
My son, Joey, has had weight gain issues from the start, but more so recently. Here's the background.

From the start, Joey's had acid reflux pretty bad. When he finally got diagnosed, he was put on Zantac. We also found out he had a milk intolerance, so he's been on soy formula (Enfamil Prosobee) since his 2 month appointment.

When we had gone to see the doctor for the reflux issues (Joey was almost 3 months at the time), we found out that Joey had only gained 6 oz. since his 2 month appointment. The doctor said give him 3 ounces of formula every 2-2.5 hours and come back next week for a weight check. When we came back after a week, (Joey was 3 months old), he had gained 3 oz. The doctor said that was normal weight gain. He said to keep JOey on that same feeding schedule and he'd see us again at his 4 month appointment.

Well, fast forward a month, and Joey again only gained 6 oz. Since he last weight check, his servings went from 3 oz. to 3.5 oz. every 2-2.5 hours. The dr. was concerned, told me to start solids, and said to make a 5 month weight check appointment.

I'm so glad I found this board. Any advice on how to get through this difficult stage? Does it get any better?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: Saw the dr. today

Joey's stats:
Head Circumference: 40
Height: 23.5 in.
Weight: 10 lbs. 4 oz. (only 3 oz. gained in 2 weeks)

Dr. now has him getting 1 T. of rice cereal with every bottle, 1 feeding of cereal and fruit in the morning, and 1 feeding of cereal and veggie in the evening. He said he wants to see Joey gain around 8 oz. by the time we go back in two weeks.

Thanks ~:Kellirazzi:~ for my beautiful siggie!

Last edited by lostlady21; June 17th, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
June 11th, 2009, 04:25 PM
*tacii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm Tracy and my little guy is Jonah. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with Joey's weight gain. It definitely is tough. How has his reflux been since starting Zantac? Jonah use to spit up a lot when he was a baby, turned out he had a milk intolerance and was switched to soy at 7 months (13lbs). He was on soy for 2 days and discovered he was also allergic to soy. Switched him to Nutramigen and he started gaining weight more steadily after that. He's still a little guy, 20lbs at 2 years, but he's been staying on his little curve now. I wish I had advice for you, but I haven't dealt a lot with reflux. If he's still not putting on adequate weight at his 5 month weigh in, I would ask for some testing to be done or to at least see a GI for his reflux. It might be that it's not completely under control. Anyway, hope there are some other ladies that can give you some words of wisdom.

TTC #3 since Dec 2007

July 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; BFN
August 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 3-7; BFN
HSG Aug 27/09: Tubes are clear!
September 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; final cycle on Clomid; BFN

Referral to fertility clinic sent Dec 1, 2011.. the wait begins
December 2011: Vit B6, Folic acid, Preseed, OPK's + temping... and lots of praying
April 3, 2012: Initial consultation done at fertility clinic. Starting Prometrium to induce AF, doing b/w and pelvic u/s and doing Clomid x 3 cycles

June 11th, 2009, 05:49 PM
The dr. told me that the Zantac would only take care of the pain of the refux. He hasn't had any screamy spit-up episodes since starting it, so at least I know he's not in pain. The "spit-up" however, seems to be getting worse. He threw up the last two bottles I gave him.

June 11th, 2009, 07:10 PM
*tacii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would probably imagine that his reflux is playing a factor in his slow weight gain. It's not uncommon, but I would be asking to see a gastroenterologist.

TTC #3 since Dec 2007

July 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; BFN
August 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 3-7; BFN
HSG Aug 27/09: Tubes are clear!
September 2009: Clomid 50mg CD 5-9; final cycle on Clomid; BFN

Referral to fertility clinic sent Dec 1, 2011.. the wait begins
December 2011: Vit B6, Folic acid, Preseed, OPK's + temping... and lots of praying
April 3, 2012: Initial consultation done at fertility clinic. Starting Prometrium to induce AF, doing b/w and pelvic u/s and doing Clomid x 3 cycles

June 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
Definitley ask to see Gastro, they should be able to help with the reflux issues.
My Abbey is 11mos and weighing in at 13lbs so I know your frustration.
(((hugs))))

June 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Mama2Lyns's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Mama2Lyns
Hey playroom buddy!

I second what the ladies said about seeing a GI doc!

Oh and we saw a children's nutritionist and feeding therapist too (which are actually speech therapists)...and they helped a bunch with upping Addy's calories and such. But we also have totally different issues too. Addy was only 9lbs, 3ozs at her 4mth check.
**Heather**(24) Mommy to: Katelyn and Adelyn. TTC #3

June 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would definitely see a GI. If he is spitting up almost everything you give him you can imagine why his caloric intake would be down...what formula is he on as I was wondering about the allergy side as well.. DS was BF but I couldn't even have milk when we stopped BF he was on soy formula and we just found out this february that he is allergic to soy as well. After cutting out eggs milk and soy his vomitting stopped...as in your case he would scream everytime he threw up until he went on prevacid becuase zantac did nothing for him...I think the best place to start would be a GI because of the amount and frequency he is vomitting... This may seem like an odd question but what do his stools look and smell like? How frequent are they?
June 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM
After 3 formula changes, the dr. came to the conclusion that Joey had a milk intolerance, so we started him on soy. The spit-up was much better for a while. Since we started solids, though, it's increasing again.

As for his stool, he's almost never had normal baby stool. They're basically logs, and they are almost always green (pistachio) in color. Can't really give an accurate description of what it smells like, only that it stinks, lol. He usually goes once or twice a day.

I'll be asking the doctor on Monday for a GI referral. I called on Friday and the dr. told me that if his spit-up was still as frequent, that he wanted Joey in for a weight check sooner than his 5 month appointment.

June 20th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
does it kind of smell like rotton butter or eggs? That is how Dannys smelled until we found out he was allergic to soy to the malabsorbtion it caused. If that is what it smells like definitely go to see a GI and request a stool fat test if nothing else to rule that out. But Danny had that awful smell and that ws the best way I could describe it...almost like something was literally rotting up in there and just made everything that came out stink...
June 22nd, 2009, 08:46 PM
tay'smama's Avatar Super Mommy
Has your pedi ever mentioned supplementing-adding more powder in the formula? My dd had weight issues and reflux. She was on medicine and I believe (it was a while ago now) we added an extra 1/2 scoop of powder (formula) to her bottles. She was on this schedule from 3months until she 10months when we were able to add calories to her food (olive oil and butter). Also, when we started her on baby food we only did high calorie ones. I remember alot of banana and squash, greens are low so we waited quite awhile for those. Advocado is high calorie too, they don't make it in baby food but our dr had us mash it up for her. She still gained slowly but these things really helped her and I am proud to say that she just had her 2 1/2 yr check up and now weighs 29lbs and is in the 70%. I was in shock she has never gone above 35%. My daughter's pedi just gave us the ok to put her on 2% milk she was still taking whole. Your child can do it to. I know how frustrating it can be, for the longest time most of my husband and I's conversation's were about food for the baby and does she look any bigger to you. Good Luck.
Lisa, DH Seth and DD Tayla we have been ttc #2 since June 2007
Thank you .hoodihoo.this. for my rockin siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search