New Here :)

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! My name is Kristen. I'm 31 and mom to 5 kids (ages 12, 10, 5, 2, and a newborn son born 12/16/09). I had an extremely high risk pregnancy with tons of complications ranging from low amniotic fluid levels to being tentatively diagnosed with IUGR and I was antibody sensitized with the anti e, anti jka and parvovirus antibodies all of which can cause a hemolytic disease of the newborn.

My other kids are all very large for their age and were consistently in the high 90th percentiles for both height & weight. They never had weight gain issues ever and if anything the doctors were concerned that they were gaining too much weight, lol!

You can imagine my worry when during this recent pregnancy I was being told that he wasn't growing properly and that his limbs were at least 5 weeks behind the rest of his body and he was in the very low percentiles for weight. My Peri wanted to induce me at 36 weeks because of my antibody issues so Layne was born at 36 weeks on the dot. He was born pretty healthy and came out at 5 lbs 11.5 oz and 18.5 inches long, however he got all the way down to 5 lbs 5 oz. He is a very poor eater and pretty much sleeps ALL the time. He is finally back up to his birth weight but he is much slower to gain weight than my other kids. He's only in the 3rd percentile for weight so I have to bring him in every couple of weeks for weight checks.

The doc wants to closely monitor his growth patterns because of the problems I had during my pregnancy. At this point he is too young to know for sure if he has any type of growth restriction issues, but the doc said once he gets a little older and they have more data they will know what types of tests to run on him if any.

This is new territory for me since my other kids were all really large for their age. Layne is still wearing preemie clothes & diapers and he just seems so tiny & fragile compared to my other kiddos. I hope to get to know all of you better and it's nice to know there are others out there who understand what i'm going through
January 4th, 2010, 05:31 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Kristen I know you I lurk more on this board than post lately because Carries is doing so much better, but we've been through the ringer on her weight. I've read so many of your posts (maybe all) on the DDC, so I feel like I've gotten to know you and Layne pretty well.

I'm sorry to hear that he's struggling, but YAY for re-hitting his birth weight! I know how frustrating it is when you're trying so hard to make progress and it's a struggle, so I just wanted to say that lots of us have been there and come through the other side.

Carrie was consistantly less than 8th percentile until she hit 15 months old and even today at 26 month she's not yet 25 lbs. (just below 20th percentile and sh eats more than I do, it's really frustrating). Her delays are weight related, but are EXTREMELY RARE.

I'm hoping that little guy picks up the pace soon, but if not I'm sure you'll figure out a way to make it work for him. We had to alter bottle nipples and find the right rice/milk combo and lots of differant things to get her feeding as best as she could. It got easier when we intro'd solids, cause thereis SO much you can do to pack on weight when they're eating even baby foods, but I'll be hoping he catches up before then.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
January 5th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Congrats on your new little man! What a cutie!!! Danny didn't have issues until he was allready on babyfood so in regards to teeny LO's with weight issues I won't be much help but I definitely understand the not knowing factor! It stinks! I hope your LO puts on some weight soon and that you guys find out what is causing his lack of gain. We finally think we have answers for Danny. We get test results on 01/11. KUP on how your Little Man is gaining, growing, and trying!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search