Hi Ladies

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My name is Tam and I have an 18 month old daughter called Summer and #2 due in June 2010

Summer has always been labelled FTT.

She had her 18mth well check yesterday and she weighed in at 19lbs 14oz and 31.25 inches tall.

She has always been around 40th%ile for height and we have never been above the 15th%ile for weight.

Most of the time she has been around 5-10th%ile.

We have been told to put her on a high calorie diet.

At the moment I went out and bought half n half and have been putting 50/50 of half n half and regular cows milk into her milk.

I also bought some boost yesterday but she isn't a fan, but I am hoping with time she will learn to like it.

Hope to get to know you all!
March 30th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Hi! I am Sarah, Mommy to Danny (2.5). He was labelled FTT from 11 months until this January. We finally have a diagnosis for him...He is now one out of a whopping 9 people worldwide with Isolated Chymotrypsin Defficiency! He now weighs 27 pounds at 32 months...he weighed 18 pounds from the time he was 6 months until last march...then started Neocate Jr and went up to 21 pounds in 2 weeks then went up to 24 pounds in July I think...He was 2. In Oct he started pancreatic enzymes and has been steadily gaining since! I hope you can find a solution to your LO's weight gain. Is she a slow gainer or a no gainer? Can't wait to get to know you!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 30th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
Hi! I am Sarah, Mommy to Danny (2.5). He was labelled FTT from 11 months until this January. We finally have a diagnosis for him...He is now one out of a whopping 9 people worldwide with Isolated Chymotrypsin Defficiency! He now weighs 27 pounds at 32 months...he weighed 18 pounds from the time he was 6 months until last march...then started Neocate Jr and went up to 21 pounds in 2 weeks then went up to 24 pounds in July I think...He was 2. In Oct he started pancreatic enzymes and has been steadily gaining since! I hope you can find a solution to your LO's weight gain. Is she a slow gainer or a no gainer? Can't wait to get to know you!
thanks for the welcome! sorry to hear about Danny's weight issues but I was very pleased to read that he is on the increase!

Summer seems to be a slow and no gainer very frustrating!
March 31st, 2010, 09:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
At she does look proportionate. That is good. The thing I hated was Danny was always in the 70-90% for height but off the charts for weight. His ribs would stick out and his elbows were starting to look bigger than his arms...it was really pitiful for a while. Thankfully that is all behind us now!

I am curious though. Don't take me wrong with this because I obviously don't know her situation, I am just used to weekly weight checks so seeing 2 months and a gain to me is thrilling on her weights...
Why have they kept her labeled FTT? Is she taking in enough calories that she should have gained more or does she have those stressful flatlined periods with no development, etc? I only ask specifically because the general milestones she should have hit (trippling birth weight by age 1 etc) she met so I am just trying to get a more specific idea of what you are dealing with. Please, like I said I don't doubt that she has FTT and that you are stressed and know what your daughter needs, I am just trying to understand her specific issues more if you know what I mean... FTT is such a general diagnosis that you never really know what it entails from one person to another.

March 31st, 2010, 10:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
At she does look proportionate. That is good. The thing I hated was Danny was always in the 70-90% for height but off the charts for weight. His ribs would stick out and his elbows were starting to look bigger than his arms...it was really pitiful for a while. Thankfully that is all behind us now!

I am curious though. Don't take me wrong with this because I obviously don't know her situation, I am just used to weekly weight checks so seeing 2 months and a gain to me is thrilling on her weights...
Why have they kept her labeled FTT? Is she taking in enough calories that she should have gained more or does she have those stressful flatlined periods with no development, etc? I only ask specifically because the general milestones she should have hit (trippling birth weight by age 1 etc) she met so I am just trying to get a more specific idea of what you are dealing with. Please, like I said I don't doubt that she has FTT and that you are stressed and know what your daughter needs, I am just trying to understand her specific issues more if you know what I mean... FTT is such a general diagnosis that you never really know what it entails from one person to another.
no offense taken at ALL!!

you know I have NO idea why they are still labeling her as FTT..... I think 'slow grower/gainer' would be more appropriate.

Developmentally she is way above her age, she says (very clearly) over 100 words and speaks in 3-4 word sentences. She was walking at 9 months (although didn't crawl until 8.5 mths) she is very active and doesn't stop. She does eat but would much rather be running around than sitting down eating.

Honestly I think she is just going to be petite. I was small as a child (as was DH) infact Summer is slightly taller (and heavier) than I was at similar ages. I had a huge growth spurt around 16-17 and now I am 5'8 (not exactly small).

When she was born she had (well still has) an inverted chin, basically her lower jaw is further back than the top. She wasn't able to nurse efficiently and wasn't gaining much weight barely a few ounces a week. I ended up pumping 24/7 and bottle feeding her. They still kept calling her a FTT even thought I KNEW how much she was taking it and drinking! I just ignore the 'FTT' label now and just call her my pocket rocket

No one has ever spoken calorie intake with me but her pedi said her diet sounded good.
April 1st, 2010, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mummy2SummerNAshton View Post
I just ignore the 'FTT' label now and just call her my pocket rocket
That is cute...and from what you said is quite fitting. The reason I asked about Calories is because the reason Danny was FTT is that he was taking in 18-1900 calories per day and still losing weight. (He only needed about 900 to stay the same weight.) The general rule for calories is 100 calories per kilogram of target weight. If she weights 10 kilograms she needs 1000 calories to stay her weight and 11-1300 calories is optimal for gaining weight.

We have had many discussions with that, can you tell? haha I am glad she isn't having severe issues and like it seems that you feel...slow growing is not a huge problem as long as she keeps her own curve and stays proportionate.

April 1st, 2010, 07:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
That is cute...and from what you said is quite fitting. The reason I asked about Calories is because the reason Danny was FTT is that he was taking in 18-1900 calories per day and still losing weight. (He only needed about 900 to stay the same weight.) The general rule for calories is 100 calories per kilogram of target weight. If she weights 10 kilograms she needs 1000 calories to stay her weight and 11-1300 calories is optimal for gaining weight.

We have had many discussions with that, can you tell? haha I am glad she isn't having severe issues and like it seems that you feel...slow growing is not a huge problem as long as she keeps her own curve and stays proportionate.
thanks!!

she is JUST 9kg (well 9.02)

Honestly I have NO idea how many she consumes in a day but I bet she burns off whatever she eats and some :s

I'm not overally concerned because like you said she is keeping to her own curve although this last well check she had dropped but it wasn't significant.

I should probably aim to feed her 1000-1100 calories a day right? sheesh... that seems like alot.... maybe I should start a food journal?
April 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
you can start a food journal but it gets overwhelming if you do it everyday. When she isn't sick I would do one for 3 days and just find her average intake. Not around a holiday because diets are usually different around those times of year but that may help just to make sure she gets what she needs... I think 1000-1100 would be great for her. The half and half is great and butter, peanut butter, oil, etc are also good. Pretty much anything with fat in it works wonderfully to boost calorie intake.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search