Please share your FTT story with me

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2010, 01:45 PM
morebluethanpink
How big was your baby at birth? How long did it take them to gain their birth weight back? Did they lose or just not gain? How old are they and how much does he/she weigh now? When did your child finally start growing? Did they find a cause? Anything else you'd liek to share..

My baby is 5 weeks old and has been labelled failure to thrive. At 3 weeks old she had JUST got back to her birth weight and then stayed there. She was hospitalized for poor growth, because she also got a virus at that point and stopped eating well so they brought her in to moniter her. After a few days she still hadn't gained soe they put her on high calorie formula and she gained about 2ounces a day! but only for a few days, then she stopped again. As of friday she was still only about 13 ounces more than her birth weight, and that weight was gained all in that week when they started high calorie formula. She was a 35 week preemie, born weighing 7lb1oz.. and friday she was just under 7lb 14oz. No one really knows why sheès not growing. Strangely, today I took her to the clinic to have her weighed and the scale said 8lb 5oz! So over the weekend she put on about 7 ounces. That is insane. Is this a growth spurtÉ Maybe she is catching up for the weight she hadnt been gainingÉ .. im kind of hoping that this is the end of our growth problems. But I guess only time will tell. She did do this one other time, but then lost a bit of it and then plateued and stayed there without gaining weight for quite a while.. argh. Its frustrating!
March 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my daughter (now 18 months) was 6lbs 13oz at birth, on the day of discharge she was 6lbs 3oz (I had to fight to get them to release her as they wanted to keep her)

at her 2 day old check up she was 6lbs 1.6oz

2 weeks later so just over 2 weeks old she was 6lbs 9.2oz

2 days later so almost 3 weeks old she was 6lbs 8oz

From then on we had every 2nd day weight checkes with the nurse so they aren't logged in her medical record.

@ her 2 month old appt she was 9lb 3.02oz

2mths 1 wk she was 9lb 8oz

@ her 4mth appt she was 12lbs 0.8oz

@ 6 mths she was 14lb 12oz

@ 8 mths she was 16lb 3oz

@ 12 mths she was 18lb 3oz

@ 14mths she was 19lb 5oz

@ 18mths she is 19lb 14oz

Summer has been labeled a FTT since she was 2 days old..... infact a nurse accused me once of not feeding her seriously who says that to a mom who just delivered a baby 5 days ago!!

I'm sorry your daughter is having weight issues, I know what its like. Hang in there
March 30th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I thought we had a sticky with ages and weights but it isn't there...

Danny was 8lb. 1.8 oz at birth...he gained like crazy until I stopped BFing at 6 months then he stopped gaining completely and was stuck at 18 lbs. He then started to lose weight a little at a time and wouldn't gain it back. At 11 months he was deemed FTT and was tested for allergies etc...he had weekly weight checks for almost 1.5 years with a few gaps of biweekly where he gained a few ounces. He started the high calorie formula (Neocate Jr.) and gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks then flatlined then gained to 24 pounds in 2 months....then flatlined again. In Oct 09 he started pancreatic enzymes to test for pancreatic function issues as the symptoms matched but no tests had come back positive...mainly ystic Fibrosis and Celiac as the symptoms are somewhat similar to pancreatic issues...he has gained well since then. He was up to 28 pounds then got sick and was in the hospital last week and lost an entire pound so he is back to 27 pounds but he is still going strong.
Just to make sure I answer everything...

How big was your baby at birth? 8lb. 1.8oz
How long did it take them to gain their birth weight back? 2 weeks...he was extremely jaundiced
Did they lose or just not gain? Both
How old are they and how much does he/she weigh now? 32 months 27 lbs. 0oz.
When did your child finally start growing? Without extra formula...October
Did they find a cause? He is now one of 9 total cases of Isolated Chymotrypsin Defficiency....worldwide....leave it to my kid to be that rare.
Anything else you'd liek to share.. see above

If your LO does better on the formula you may want to check into possible protien intolerances...such as dairy issues or soy issues. What formula did they put her on? If it is Elecare, Nutrimigram, Alimentum, or Neocate she should do fine if she has protien intolerances but Elecare and Neocate are better as long as corn is not a concern...if corn is a concern Alimentum is the best as it is the ONLY formula without corn. I hope something here helped!

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search