New here, as well....

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2010, 11:12 PM
Mom-Mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello. My name is Marsha and i have two children. Samantha is 2 yrs old and Charlotte is 23 days old. I joined this board, bc Charlotte isnt gaining weight.

When she was born, she was 11 lbs 1.3 oz. When we were discharged from the hospital, she was 10 lbs 7 oz. At her first well baby weight check, she was 10 lbs 5 oz. Then for her first check up, 9 days later, she was 10 lbs 7 oz. So her dr wanted us to come this week for another weight check, bc she should have been at or closer to her birth weight. We had her weight check today, she was still at 10 lbs 7 oz. So now her dr wants us to mix her powdered formula with less water, to make it richer in calories. In a week or two, we have to go back for another weight check. If she still hasnt gained any or enough weight, then they will adjust the formula again. After that, i dont know.

I googled about this and i am worried. So i figured i would talk to you ladies and see what we might be in for.

What if she is diagnosed with ftt? Will she have any handicaps, physical or mental? Are there any good websites where i can read up on it? I did google about ftt and newborn weight gain issues, but i thought you ladies might know of some others.

Thanks.

July 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
With newborns it is entirely different. The Dr's are more aggressive to find out what is causing the lack of weight gain because there is so much development going on. Watch the consistancy of her stool. If it is oily looking or if it is a color other than yellow or green. If she is vomitting she may not be keeping enough down to gain anything. She could have pyloric stenosis if she has projectile vomitting. FTT is not normally in issue that is diagnosed as an infant and left alone so unless she starts gaining anything soon I would be braced for testing. Most FTT onsets between 6 and 12 months of age. I don't know of any good websites but you can feel free to PM me with other questions. It may take me a while to get back to you as I am getting ready to move, start classes again, and have a few friends with very ill children but will get back with you as soon as I can. Document everything she eats, everytime she poops with color consistancy etc, document wet diapers, document any vomiting, and if she cries for extended periods of time document that as well. Anything you can see that could be helpful for the Dr's write it down in a journal or a notebook. The more you can tell them the less they will need to watch and ask...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

July 25th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Thank you for responding. I have been writing things down in a notebook. I also switched her from enfamil lipil to enfamil enfasure lipil, it is made for premature infants and has a few more calories then regular formula. So i am hoping this helps. We go next week for our weight check...i really hope she has gained enough.

Thank you again for responding.

July 26th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You're welcome. Trust your mommy-gut. If you think something is off persue it. Dr's tried to tell me nothing was wrong with my son for 2 years before we finally found out that he doesn't make an enzyme that he is supposed to have to digest fats and protiens. Obviously, that is a significant problem. Some children are just small but if you think something is wrong and they start to say that she may just be small keep pushing for answers.

July 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks. Is it a good sign that at least she isnt losing weight? She was 10 lbs 7 oz for 2 checks in a row, but i am hoping she is above 11 lbs when we have our weight check next week.Thanks

July 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It is definitely good if she is not losing. ANYTHING is better than losing weight. At one point Danny was eating 1900 calories a day...as an 18 month old...and losing weight!!! And the Drs tried to tell me he just had a high metabolism. When Drs get outside the range of typical disorders they tend to act like the child is normal for him/herself and just odd compared to everyone else... hmm. Tell me how that makes sense again?

July 30th, 2010, 07:21 PM
That definitely doesnt make sense.

We were at the grocery store tonight and i was so tempted to put her in the scale just to ease my mind. lol. We are going Monday for our weight check...we were supposed to go today but when i called they told me it could be an hour wait...so i opted to come in on Monday.

August 7th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Aww. Did she gain any weight?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search