hi

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2010, 01:27 PM
Super Mommy
hi
im julia, mommy to rebecca(7), Reggie(3) and John(18months). Im new here but not new to JM. But im not tooo sure if i belong here.
my daughter was just diagnosed with celiacs in june, but so far she is still at a healthy weight.
My littlest one is my problem. he is 18months, and 21Ibs...not that small i guess, but he has lost 2Ibs in a month, he has many food allergies and he is super picky.
We just recently found out he is allergic to milk(long story), peanuts, pineapple, strawberries,blueberries and we are wondering if he is allergic to either corn or eggs.
It is frustrating me because my ped. wont take me seriously. He is also not walking or talking yet. At his shots in sept. he was in the 50% and now he has dropped below the 25%.
Im very frustrated. and while he is happy just eating bannanas at every meal, or nuggets and grapes for a week, im thinking its not good. We have put him back on soy formula to help him but it hasnt really been working.
looking forward to getting to know u all.

December 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Sorry for taking so long to reply!! My son has been pretty sick and just had a minor surgery so we have been MIA. I am Sarah mommy to DS Danny (3.5). Danny weighs 29.6 pounds on the dot and has since April other than a short peak to 30.0 before getting sick and dropping to 29.0 then back up to 29.6 where we are stuck again. He has had weight issues since he was 6 months old and stayed at 18 pounds for 18 months. It sounds like maybe the ped isn't concerned yet because his weight is still in the normal range, but he should be concerned because of the drop. Is there a nutritionist at a local hospital or clinic that you ould send a food diary in to? You would need to include as much info as you could down to appx tsp for sauces and cup amounts for solids. They can see if it is the number of calories that is is eating due to a limited diet from allergies or if it is a digestion issue where he is getting enough in and not getting what he needs out of it. At one point danny was getting almost 3000 calories a day (at 19 pounds) and started losing weight again. That is a big trigger that something is wrong. If he is getting enough calories to gain weight and isn't I would worry. If he isn't getting enough calories to gain weight there are many ways to increase his calorie intake. Add LOTS of butter or sunbutter to anything you put it on. A dr or nutritionist can give you instructions on how to mix his formula differently to increase the number of calories per ounce. danny was on a hypoallergenic, amino acid based formula that gave him 35 calories per ounce until last October. Things like that can be a big help especially if he has issues with the calories and not the digestion part. Also watch for whatever symptoms he had with the milk allergy with the soy. If he has a lot of stools or if he has oily/slimy stools that is a good sign of a soy protein intolerance. that was one problem with Danny. Milk and soy proteins are VERY similar so if he has an allergy to milk or an intolerance to milk it is likely he could have one to soy as well. If he had allergy testing done see if they will test soy. If you have figured them out it is just as good but you will need to try to eliminate it to see if he improves in any way. An allergic reaction to soy can range from anaphylactic to snotty poop or a runny nose. anytime a child has several allergies there are possibilites of ones that aren't identified yet or that have not developed yet. Join us on the Food Allergy Board for help with working around allergies if you want to cut out soy and milk. Danny is allergic to eggs, milk, soy, tomatoes, carrots, red 40, and cinnamon. I really hope that you can get your little man straightened out soon! For you daughter with celiac's you can join the food allergy board too. There are frequently helpful ideas on there or people asking questions about things that I think you could benefit from.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

January 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Hi and welcome

Failure to thrive is generally recognized when a child drops 2 major percentile lines in a relatively short amount of time. Your son has crossed one line, so I see why your ped is not yet too concerned. It is very normal for toddlers to be picky.

I see an issue with a developmental delay though. Ask your ped for an evaluation by early intervention. At 18 months a full term baby should be taking their first steps, and if not it can be perfectly normal, but it warrants an evaluation to see if there is a delay.

Any time there are multiple food allergies you run a risk of FTT. Keep in mine though that around 18 months is when genetics start to take over and kids will begin to be large or small depending on who they are going to be genetically. If he continues to rapidly fall down his curve then there could be a problem, and if your ped still refuses to listen, find one who will.

As for the weight loss, I would be a bit concerned too. My DD is in a constant battle of gain/lose and all you can really do is 'calorie pack' everything he does eat. A nutritionist can help you with this. Good luck, hope to see you around more

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
January 6th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Super Mommy
just to update, we saw our new ped. yesturday, we are waiting to see an allergist and nutritionist now. Doc wasnt too too concerned about the percent drop so he will see him in 3months.

January 7th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am glad you are at least getting the ball rolling. I am also glad the new ped isn't too concerned but is taking your concerns into consideration. I hate it when doctors wait until something is REALLY BADLY wrong before they decide they will test to see what to do about it...

January 7th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Super Mommy
i totally agree, that is why he is our new ped. lol for all his allergic reactions he has gotten hives and the runs... our old ped said its not an allergic reaction. This new ped. says it def. is. im not going to sit around and wait til he has to be driven to the hospital!!
with his weight im still a little concerned, but im hoping the nutritionist will help, eating bread 24/7 just doesnt go for nutrition in my books, but that and bananas is all he will eat.
we will see

January 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yah, Danny is on a chicken nugget and oranges kick. He will eat 1-3 "mini"-bagels in the morning, 4 slices of lunch meat and oranges and a fruit roll for lunch, and 7 chicken nuggets wil oranges for dinner. Thankfull he will eat something other than bread and bananas but it is the same everyday unless we make smoothies then he gets the strawberries, blueberries, bananas, and yogurt trather than rice milk to drink. He eats the same thing every day and is definitely not getting the vitamins and minerals he needs. He takes a vitamin everyday...which we had to special order due to so many allergies, but it still doesn't cover it all...

January 18th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Cheep Sk8's Avatar Veteran
:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search