Catch up Growth?

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2011, 10:16 AM
daysfancarlymanning's Avatar Super Mommy
My ped gi told me to give carly 27 cal formula into bm using 3 oz of bm to 1 tsp of nutramigen. She said she needed catch up growth. I am not ok with this and asked this new ped dr in my ped practice and she said do whatever i was told. carly is gaining 1/2 oz about per day and just tiny so i dont want to do this. i feel its wrong to supplement and that she doesnt need it. shges 8'14 at 8 weeks. should i or not though?
February 26th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Happy Mommy
I'm new here, so Hope it's okay I just right in. My little C, she was that way, wasn't even 8'14 at 8 weeks, but I know now, that's just how she is/was. she'll always be little. if she's gaining, even just a little bit, I wouldn't make it harder on you, or her.
February 26th, 2011, 11:51 AM
thank you and yes Im new here too but welcome How old is your dd now? I am not going to supplement. My gut tells me she's fine and it's wrong. She's growing but she will be small and that's ok. I don't want them pumping her to gain 2 lbs in like 1 week, or whatever they're trying. I think that's overkill.
February 26th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Cheep Sk8's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by daysfancarlymanning View Post
My ped gi told me to give carly 27 cal formula into bm using 3 oz of bm to 1 tsp of nutramigen. She said she needed catch up growth. I am not ok with this and asked this new ped dr in my ped practice and she said do whatever i was told. carly is gaining 1/2 oz about per day and just tiny so i dont want to do this. i feel its wrong to supplement and that she doesnt need it. shges 8'14 at 8 weeks. should i or not though?
I really don't want to come across as rude. That's not my intention at all, but I'm kind of concerned. Can I ask why you are not following the Dr's orders? I'm not sure what Carley weighed when she was born, but at 2 months old she's in the 4th percentile. In an earlier post you said she was in the 10th percentile.If her growth chart is dropping down, then that's FTT. FTT is something to be taken very seriously.
You had mentioned that one Dr. called CPS on you. It will look very bad if you are not following the Dr.'s advice.
Again, I really don't want to seem like I'm being nasty, but I cannot stress the importance of keeping her growth chart curving up.

February 26th, 2011, 02:50 PM
srry my ped told me she was in the 10th. ped gi said 3rd%. They told me she is not ftt at this point. She was earlier. she was born at 6.5.4 and is now 8.14. she was 8 weeks fri. I usually do follow drs orders. This time I'm just questioning why they want to her suddenly JUMP in weight when my ped, who isn't seeing me right now(long story), said her weight gain was otherwise fine.
February 26th, 2011, 03:38 PM
So at birth she was about the 10th percentile and now she's in the 3rd, but she's no longer FTT?
Why not just give the supplements a try? This seems like such an easy solution. It won't hurt her at all to have a jump in weight if she is in the 3rd percentile. It will however seriously impact her development if you do not.

PubMed Health - Failure to thrive

February 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
At 8 weeks old gaining 1/2 ounce a day is actually good growth and going from the 10% to the 3% is technically not considered FTT. FTT is diagnosed when a child crosses 2 major percentile lines in a downward trend in a relatively short period of time. Jumping to 27 cal without starting at 22 cal, then 24 cal seems a bit drastic, especially for a child whose weight gain is decent and who is not really FTT.

She has reflux right? Is it controlled? Reflux can definitely cause slow growth, and if it is not well controlled, I would start there first. Nutramigen formula tastes really bad, and many breastfed babies refuse to drink it, so by adding it to her breastmilk you may find that her intake actually goes down. Sometimes that happens when you fortify milk anyway; the richer it is the less they want to drink, not always but sometimes. Its kind of a double edged sword.

Personally, I think this decision is up to you. I would probably try a 22 cal mixture to start with, but use something other than nutramigen unless she has allergies. Neosure and Enfacare are excellent ones to use; they are designed for premature and low birthweight babies. I realize she was neither, but she will still benefit from them.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do and how it goes for you. I dont think 8 lb 14 oz is too bad for 2 months old. Nyla was 7 lb 8 oz and Brandon was 7 lb 2 oz at 2 months. Im so glad to hear that she is gaining now in stead of stalling out.

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
February 28th, 2011, 03:08 PM
THANKS. I've chosen not to supplement at this time. The nutramigen does taste nasty and I don't want to cause anymore problems as she is gaining. The 8.8 at the ped gi was in the 3rd%. She's actually 8'14 and that's the 10% so she's 10% now. She got sick though with a cold and bad ear infection so eating has been hard but hopefully she isn't losing? If so dr weill have a FIT!
February 28th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMom4 View Post
At 8 weeks old gaining 1/2 ounce a day is actually good growth and going from the 10% to the 3% is technically not considered FTT. FTT is diagnosed when a child crosses 2 major percentile lines in a downward trend in a relatively short period of time.
"There is no official consensus on what constitutes failure to thrive (FTT). It usually refers to a child whose growth is below the 3rd or 5th percentiles for their age or whose growth has fallen off precipitously and crossed two major growth percentiles (for example, from above the 75th percentile to below the 25th percentile)"
That is taken directly from this link. Failure to thrive (FTT) definition - Medical Dictionary definitions of popular medical terms easily defined on MedTerms

Days Fan,
I really wish you and your LO all the best. However, I absolutely cannot wrap my head around willfully disregarding the advice of trained professionals in favor of advice given on a message board, and I will not validate your decision.
If your child's weight is such an issue that you have one doctor calling social services on you, you're terrified every time they weigh her , and your new doctor is going to "have a fit" if she looses weight, then you really should be following the guidance of a professional. Perhaps you could get a second opinion?

March 1st, 2011, 02:28 AM
thank you I am getting a 2nd opinion on march 17. If they feel supp then I most certainly will. She's gaining 1/2 t 1 oz per day right now on just bm so my question is WHY supp then? I don't want to hurt her by overdoing it either. She's gaining normally now.
March 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Cheep Sk8...like you said...you don't know much about the situation... If you did you would understand why she is reacting the way she is. The ped had NO reason to call CPS..at all. She took her in for daily weight checks and acted like Carly was fine. After she asked for a meeting with the ped because she was concerned that Carly wasn't growing well enough the ped demanded that Carly be admitted to the hospital or the hospital call CPS because "mom isn't feeding the baby." THe ped has not listened to one thing that mom has said and refuses to admit that she is wrong. That is why she is switching. Every scale is different and the GI scale was weighing a few ounces lower than the ped's scale. If she follows the Ped scale most of the time than she has stayed on her curve. There was no reason for them to say she needs to pack on weight. The ped is a nightmare. She sets unrealistic goals for this child and expects them to be met. The reason she is terrified of weight checks is because if she doesn't gain something at every single weight check the ped hounds and hounds and hounds her for no good reason. A child who is sick is not going to gain weight. Once they recover from the illness tey will grow again. It is a fact of life and it needs to be acknowledged by the ped.

Days fan...in your shoes I would have done the same thing until we got a 2nd opinion. And per your updated post you stuck to your word. She lost 2 ounces... which is great considering it hurts to suck when a baby has an ear infection...and you still started the formula. You are doing what needs to be done for her and keeping her long term interests at heart rather than the next 2 weeks like the ped is.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM
thank you so much. it is so nice to have peopkle who understand and know what we are going through
March 4th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
anytime.

March 4th, 2011, 06:33 PM
[quote=i3ai3ydanny;23248948]Cheep Sk8...like you said...you don't know much about the situation... If you did you would understand why she is reacting the way she is. The ped had NO reason to call CPS."

I only know what she has posted, and something seems off to me about this story. She has never answered my questions. In fact, she has allowed other posters to respond for her and then merely agreed with them all the while insinuating that I'm being a big meanie pants for not understanding what she is going through.
Do you really know what the doctor's take is in this?
The fact is the FTT is, in most instances, either caused by an underlying health problem or neglect. I have a feeling that her doctor is leaning towards the latter based on her observations; Whatever they may be.
Doctor's are mandated by law to call CPS if they suspect abuse. Do you know what that entails? I do, and you can bet your sweet bippy the doctor knows. We are talking subpoenas for records from both prosecution and defense,subpoenas for depositions, hearings, trials, ect. What doctor do you know is going to commit to possibly loosing 6 months of Tee- times to hang out in court over a few disputed ounces? Unless, of course, she is exacting her revenge on Daysfan because Carly is actually her husband's lovechild that she unwittingly conceived while she was suffering from amnesia after Stefano's botched murder attempt.

Last edited by Cheep Sk8; March 4th, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
March 4th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You are free to have your opinion. People who have children with Osteogenesis Imperfecta are investigated for physical abuse 90% of the time before doctors realize that there is actually a medical problem. FTT frequently falls in the same category even though the percentage is lowerl.

Last edited by i3ai3ydanny; March 4th, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
March 4th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
So because I happened to be back online first that means she was waiting...smooth.

Sorry. I'm trying to understand what you are referencing. I think it has to do with my saying that she is allowing other people to answer for her. Am I right?

March 4th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
yes...and it isn't just me. Because "someone" else gets on and posts before her you can't just assume that she is waiting for someone. This has been going on for weeks and you are just jumping in and assuming you know everything about the situation and are ready to condemn a person. I am not here to judge whether someone's story adds up according to my experience. I am here to offer whatever advice I can based on the situation and given the benefit of the doubt, if someone is looking for advice in a legitimate situation and I feed them to the dogs, what help have I done. There is no point in stirring up trouble on a virtual board that is meant for communication and support. Put in a helpful 2 cents or ignore the topic. This isn't the debate board.

March 4th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I didn't assume anything. I'm not "just jumping in". I joined Just Mommies over two years ago because of this board. It has never had much action until Days Fan showed up. Wonder why that is? Just check out the January 2011 playroom.
You can think whatever you like about me. I really don't care. The fact of the matter is, I call BS on Days as do several others in her playroom. I called her out because I found it disgusting that she would be trolling the internet looking for sympathy from mothers like you, me and others on this board. Mothers whose children have been through hell, mothers that would walk on glass, give up everything they own, mothers who push for more testing and another referral, mothers who have had to hold their LO down while Doctors and nurses poked and prodded, and mothers who have had to shove NG tubes down their children noses.

ETA: Being supportive does not always mean telling people what they what to hear. I'm actually a very kind and considerate person, but I will not keep my mouth shut if I think there is even the slightest chance that a real child could be involved in this.

Last edited by Cheep Sk8; March 4th, 2011 at 08:55 PM.
March 5th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am done with the conversation. We each have our opinions.

March 5th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Keepin' it real!
NM Sorry, wrong thread!

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search