Nylas 6 year check up

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2011, 07:33 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
We had Nylas 6 year check up last Tuesday and it actually went really really well. Developmentally she is doing fantastic. She was 33.4 pounds and 43 inches tall Which is actually at the 12% for height and below for weight. We talked about how much she has gained over the last year (3 pounds) and how much she should have (6-7 pounds) which seemed alarming to me, but after discussing her history and her charts her doctor told me not to worry, she is just small. Honestly, I believe her. I myself am small, 5 ft 7 in and 97 lbs so my BMI is only 15 and that is one thing the doctor pointed out to me. It would be unlikely for her to come from a very small mom and be large or even 'average' herself; especially where she was a 4 pound preemie. She is also still struggling with several issues and isnt going to grow like a child in the 50% when she has always been below the 5%. She did tell me not to give her any empty calories (like juice) and only whole milk with carnation instant breakfast added to it or pediasure. She likes the instant breakfast better than the pediasure, so Im happy about that!! Also, just be sure she is getting enough to eat (which she knows is a challenge, but all we can do is our best) of good foods with healthy fats. Same thing we have been told for years.

As of now, she cant come off any of her meds. I was hoping to come off something, but no such luck. She actually started her back on Veramyst for her sinus disease. It works really well but has a tenancy to make her nose bleed. Her lungs sounded good and that is always great news.

I left feeling good about it. Wherever her future takes us I know we will be ready to deal with it. It has been a tough and scary road, but I couldnt be more proud of what she has overcome and I know she will meet each new challenge with the same tenacity she has in the past

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
March 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
daysfancarlymanning's Avatar Super Mommy
that's so great. Glad to hear she had an awesome check up.
March 8th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
I'm so glad to read this!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
March 8th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I am really glad that everything went so well! Is veramyst a nose spray? I can't use any nose sprays for that reason. I had to have my nose caulterized twice in one week last time I used them. I hope hers aren't that bad.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 9th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
I am really glad that everything went so well! Is veramyst a nose spray? I can't use any nose sprays for that reason. I had to have my nose caulterized twice in one week last time I used them. I hope hers aren't that bad.
Yes its a nose spray. It really works well for her sinus disease but causes nose bleeds. At first they were so bad we had to stop using it, but when I asked her ENT about it, he said to try and spray it so it does not get on her septum and that has really helped. Now she doesnt get nose bleeds so much as some bloody discharge. It is much better!!

March 9th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
That is good. I can't even use saline sprays. It is rediculous! Does she have a chronic sinus infection or is that something else?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 10th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by i3ai3ydanny View Post
That is good. I can't even use saline sprays. It is rediculous! Does she have a chronic sinus infection or is that something else?
She has been diagnosed with chronic sinus disease, also known as chronic sinusitis; she also has a deviated septum. Its most common in adults, but rare in kids. Very rare in kids as young as her. She was treated with several rounds of antibiotics starting at 3 years old, and nasal sprays before her ENT finally resorted to surgery. She had a sinus surgery in July of last year to irrigate her sinuses as well as widen the passages. It is a surgery they almost never do on kids as young as her (she was 5 at the time) but we had tried everything else. She developed an infection in her sinuses 4 days after surgery and her recovery was awful. Since surgery it has been better, but she still has chronic sinus discharge, often turning into an infection. The veramyst helps keep the infections at bay so she isnt constantly on antibiotics. She has had her tonsils and adenoids removed and all of these things together have helped a little but not as much as we had hoped.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search