Should She Sleep 10 Hrs

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2011, 11:04 AM
daysfancarlymanning's Avatar Super Mommy
ok i know that must be a crazy q but i can't call the ped to ask and I trust you ladies. DD slept from 6:30-4:30 last night. she averages about 8-9 hrs nightly before waking to feed. she's gaining weight great so not worried now with that but 10hrs means she's skipped 3 feedings she technically should've had, or 2 if a 6 hr stretch is ok. Since she's gaining, do you think it's ok for her to sleep so long at night? She's a DREAm when she does that I just am afraid of her falling backwards. We've only had good weight gain twice in her 9 weeks of life. I don't know if I shold try and wake her to feed or leave her? Other problem is I also slept from 9-4:30 and it felt GREAT! I don't wake usually unless she does. She starts stirring and then I'm up and grab her a bottle of bm and pump. Then she goes back for another 5-6 hrs. Is this normal? She's been doing this since birth but I'm afraid to tell the ped cuz they had her on a 3 hr schedule but now that she is gaining on this schedule, should I leave her be? I always thought you never wake a sleeping baby but with her I'm not sure? Thanks.
March 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
I would offer her BM at least every six hours but if she sleeps until the 6 hour mark that is fine. She was a preemie so keep in mind that per her adjusted age she is about 6 weeks old right? Around 6 weeks babies have a growth spurt. Some will sleep all the time, some cry, and some eat like crazy. She may be a sleeper. Danny used to sleep 14 hours solid everyday (including naps) until he was 2.5 years old! Before he turned one I think he slept 18 hours a day on a regular basis. Some kids need/want more sleep. I would mention it to your new ped when you go so that you can make sure with her history that it is okay but wouldn't worry about it other than that. He may want her in twice a week for weight checks to make sure she doesn't lose weight if she sleeps all night and if she does fine just have her in once a week and then wean off from there. You can also try having her nurse at night rather than a bottle. If you hold her and nurse her she may eat even if she is mostly asleep...

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM
thank you. Wow 14 hrs. Amazing! I thought 10 was a lot. See my darn current ped refuses to count her as being early and says she is considered ft. But I will make a conscious effort to try and wake her after 6. I never got her latched on. I pump and give her expressed bm. She has tried to latch but then gets so frustrated because it isn't fast and immediate like the bottle. She sleeps forever if I hold her though. Guess that's not too good though? She sleeps 22-23 hrs per day if I hold her. Is that too much? Or I guess she just needs it to grow? my other kids NEVER slept this long. Course they never wanted to be held this much either
March 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Different babies have different personalities. If she sleeps that often all the time and not just recently I would mention it to the new ped. You can probably google average sleeping time of an x week old and get an idea but I would ask the new ped when you go.
Can you get a supplemental nursing system to help her get latched on? It is a tube in a bottle of formula...or BM...that could be used to satisfy her until she starts latching well and gets used to nursing a bit more. Does she still try to latch or has she decided that she doesn't like the idea anymore?

March 11th, 2011, 12:21 AM
she sleeps like this ALL the time. Usually 8 hrs but sometimes 9 or 10. Now normally I would think that'd be a DREAM but today I had her back at the dr, or rather yesteday now, cuz she has a rash on her chest and swollen glands behind her head, and her weight platued and was 4 tenths of an oz lighter. Ped gi appt later on and she was quite concerned. She said her body is burning too many calories. Now she wants the sweat test done and weekly weights for at LEAST 3 weeks. If she doesn't start picking up weight she is now talking a feed tube and more hospitalization. I am desperately trying to avoid both so I woke her up after 5 hrs and will do so again to feed her, trying to see about getting in 2 extra feeds. Ped gi did encourage bfing, which Carly actually DID latch yesterday, so I was thrilled. Ped gi said that was perfectly fine too. Unfortunately NEW ped I am supposed to see cancelled yet again so I think I need to find another ped. This was the 3rd time they've cancelled and I don't take that as a good sign. So still stuck with my darn old ped and because of this latest weight gain or lack of I'm getting nervous again. Ped gi promised to call ped and explain. She truly believes there is a problem here but doesn't know what and says it is NOT me like stupid ped thinks and we will get to the bottom of this. I sure hope so I don't want my baby to keep being poked and prodded and need a feeding tube. We are going to disney in 4 weeks and I SO need a vacation right now.
March 11th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Have they checked a CBC? If her glands are swollen, etc she may have a viral or bacterial infection even without a fever. That could explain things a bit. If your ped GI is okay with it considering the situation, maybe you could do pretty much everything there for now? Especially weight checks and such. If she sleeps that much everyday I would be concerned. She is getting to the point...even with adjusted age...that she should be awake more. Danny has had a sweat test done several times. If carly is very fair skinned make sure they chceck the gauze under the stimulator before turning it on. Danny's was weak in one spot and he got a 2nd degree burn. 99% of test don't do that but he was VERY fair skinned and the nurse and staff nurse said that fair skinned babies are more sensitive.

March 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM
omg wow thanks. Your poor son How horrible that must've been. Was he ok? Was there any scarring? I was really hoping to avoid that test? She does sleep an awful lot. She did have a cbc done 2 weeks ago at the er and was ok. Least I believe it was a cbc. I know they checked her white blood count. Do they normally check cbc with that? I know she had it done during her hospitalizations. I am just beside myself. Unfortunately my ped gi cannot follow her as closely as the ped cuz she is in Baltimore and it isn't an easy drive. Ped is 10 mins away. I am feeding her more and trying to get her latched. Hoping iot's working?
March 11th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can she get wic or is there a wic clinic? Some pharmacies have scales aslo. Wic will often let you come there for weight checks if you get a letter from your GI. A CBC is a complete blood count. It checks red blood cells, white blood cells, and several other things as well. If they checked her white blood cells that is what is important to determine infection. No scarring and they had only had one other person do that and they do over 900 of them a year. It isn't common by any means but would rather tell you to have them double check the gauze than have her be burned. He was fine within a few minutes and we didn't know about the burn until after they took the gauze off to measure the test. Don't avoid that test. The only other options are rediculously expensive blood work and a mucous test where the stick a que tip type thing basically into their lungs to see if the thick sticky mucous comes out. There are probably others but none are comfortable. Like I said...this almost never happens so it is the most comfortable test for and one of the easiest ways to rule out CF. If the numbers are below 40 she is out of the borderline range even so if it is lower than that there is no more CF testing usually. Get the test done. It is usually simple, quick, and painless. If a DR suggested it for Danny I would do it again if I thought it was needed. It sounds like a good thing to check for. As busymomof4 can tell you breathing problems take A LOT of energy away from growing so it is a good idea. I hope you can get some answers soon but I am really glad that you finally have a doctor that knows that you are doing everything you can do. I know how helpful that is.

March 11th, 2011, 07:58 PM
thank you for this info. Going to ask the ped tuesday. I think a cbc is in order if no weight gain. I'm scared of all the tests she may need eventually and hoping we can avoid them. How long do the results take for the sweat test? Ped gi is setting it up for 1.5 weeks from now or so.
March 12th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They get the results basically the next day but you HAVE to, by law, go in to get the results due to the nature of the test and the complications of the diagnosis. Don't avoid the testing. I know this sounds dumb but if she needs testing, do it before her memory is very good. At this point if it doesn't hurt anymore and she isn't in the middle of it, after she calms down for all intents and purposes it is forgotten. It is super tough to see them go through these things and I wouldn't have decided not to do any tests that we did with Danny and we did A LOT of tests. Every test told us something. Either it was or wasn't this. So basically either a diagnosis was eliminated...normally the case...or a symptom was added to the list of concerns. I really hope that they can find something with one of the first few steps but if not, just tell yourself that what you can do is be there for your daughter. If you notice that there is one vein that they can always get the first time than suggest that one. We do and it always works except when he had to have IV's 2 days in a row...the good vein was to floppy still so they had to stick him three times to get the second IV. Be her advocate. If you see something that works, ask for it again.

March 12th, 2011, 01:15 PM
thank you. i agree with what you're saying. you either eliminate some problem or find a new one. It definitely makes sense. And yesI want these tests done before she remembers. It's SO hard watching them poke and prod her. They usually take 3 tries before they get her iv or blood and it hurts me to watch her scream. When they tried to cath her 2 weeks ago they tried 6 times and couldn't get it cuz she has a skin tag and they couldn't figure out where to do and I said enough! I drew the line though when they wanted to go in with a needle through her pubic bone to get urine. Thankfully she peed and they got it but I was livid at their incomptence. I just hope it's something simple. I personal;ly think she has a high heart rate and burns through calories when she gets too active or cries. her hr has gone up to 228 just 2 weeks ago. they maintain that's NORMAL but not to me it isn't. I think she has an overactive metabolism. Can babies have this?
March 12th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They can have a metabolic disorder that causes these symptoms. An endocrinologist would handle that aspect though. I can't believe they were going to go through her pelvic bone just to get urine!!!! The child will pee eventually! That would be something that if they said that to me I think I would literally have been speechless and then demanded a transfer to a new hospital or at least a new care team. That is just not acceptable. Does her HR jump that high when resting or only when she cries or is active. If it is only when active or crying that IS normal. If it does it every time she eats still and when she is just resting in general then THAT is NOT normal.

March 12th, 2011, 04:48 PM
its when she eats and active and crying. even when she just lifts her hand or foot it shoots up. and yea i told em heck no way would they be getting urine like that. then she peed. like she knew lol. sorry if this sounds stupid but what does an endocronologist do? they tester\d her for hyperthyroidism and that was normal is there something else you may knowe that i dont? thanks
March 13th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They deal with hormones, metabolism, and pretty much everything else "chemical" that the body...not brain...does. There are a lot more things they can test for than just thyroid. I would definitely see if there is a way to test anything such as adrenalin that is excreted that could cause her heart rate to go up. That could explain that part, but I would push and push for a cardio consult at least that way if by some crazy reason there is an explanation for a baby's heart rate to shoot way over 200 with just eating that they can give it to you from a heart doctor's point of view. The whole HR thing really bugs me...

March 13th, 2011, 08:34 AM
yes it bugs me too. we had a visit with a cardiologist last month and got nowhere. he said her tests looked normal, listened to her, said all was ok and sent us away. kept maintaining her fast hr was ok and she'd grow out of it. i think i'm going to push for an endocronolgist visit on tuesday. course ped will LOVE that one bt i don't care. I know I'll need a referral from her. But maybe they can explain her fast hr and seeming to burn more calories faster.
March 13th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Cardio---he sucks.
Endo---I really hope your GI has talked to your ped and knocked some sense into her. Have you heard anything from CPS yet? Have you found a new ped yet? You can usually visit a local hospital's website (children's hospital) and find a ped locator or look in your phone book. Also you can ask your GI if they would recommend anyone. Ask friends that you know that have kids, etc.

March 13th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I had a new ped until the have rescheduled 3 times now my appt and I'm getting fed up. I surely HOPE the gi dr might go to bat for me. She did last time but I wouldn't put it past my ped to say we maintain she's starving her baby even though child looks great and IS growing, just SLOWLY. Ped tells everyone I MUST be overhwlemed when I'm not. She just cannot understand WHAT would cause this other then a parent doing it, which makes me want to hit my head against the wall I've always been very up front and honest with her. She was wrong about carly still having jaundice. She maintained it was gone when it wasn't. She had cholestasis. Ped insisted that was from her not eating but the jaundice contributed to that. Now I don't know. And the cardio was a HUGE disappointment. I keep telling everyone about this high hr and they look at me like I have 2 heads. At 10 weeks she should NOT have a hr that goes to 180-190's or higher just to eat! She has fat on her. She looks like a banana to me. Longand lean. We live near hopkins and nthey have top notch drs, or so they say, so I'mgoing to look into an endo today. Thanks. I just HOPE she's gained some sort of weight for tomorrow? My dad is infuriated. He sees me always feeding her and feeding her. She eats good. She's meeting her milestones, smiling and all. She can roll over both ways at 10 weeks! Alex never did that till like 5 months.
March 14th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Oh and no thank God cps has not come yet but I think they have to follow up and will come at some point. I'm on my toes still. Especially with tomorrow's weight check looming.
March 14th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
John's Hopkins is a good hospital. I really hope that they can get you in soon. Your poor Carly needs a doctor to keep like a 2x a week eye on her until they figure out what is going on. AND it NEEDS to be a doctor that accepts that YOU aren't the one causing it. Sheesh... I REALLY hate your ped...

ETA: Maybe you could also check family practices and see if the Drs would see her. I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time with the ped situation...

March 14th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Thanks. And yes I totally wouldn't mind going in 2 x's a week if they weren't looking at me like what are you doing to your child? Thanks for the family practice rec too. I'll check them out and see. Maybe they're more lax? I wish my ped were on my side. They were with my ds's hearing issues. She was the only one in the practice who believed he couldn't hear(he has fluid and is geting tubes this week) and she backed me and worked with me. This is a total 180 now with carly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search