Just wondering when they diagnose FTT or weight gain issues

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Adriana's Mommy's Avatar I <3 my kids
Hello.. My 17 month old has slowed way down in his growth.. I'm just wondering when do they diagnose FTT or weight gain issues.. Trust me, this is an issue I don't want to have but I want to prepare myself for it if it does happen.

When my son was born, he was in the 75th percentile for weight and 50th for height.. He is now down to the 10th for weight and at his first measurement he was Zero percentile for height and then remeasured and it brought him back up to 10th percentile.. The doctor did stress to me to get him to eat more.. Well, he's in the "picky" stage now..He eats like a bird and I can't force feed him.. My son has food allergies so it makes it hard a bit.. And he has Asthma.. He was weighed a week ago and he has not gained since his 15 month check up. Should I be worried?

Thanks for your help.

Melissa

Last edited by Adriana's Mommy; March 16th, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
March 16th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Ditzzy's Avatar Stupid Lamb;)
Send a message via Yahoo to Ditzzy
Welcome to the FTT board! Your son can be diagnosed with FTT at any age. It sounds like he's falling off his curve and the standard growth curve. Has he seen a GI Dr yet? If not, that would be my first step. There are so many reasons FTT occurs and a GI Dr will help rule out any serious health problems.

KUP!

Thank you, tasha_mae, for my siggy!
March 16th, 2011, 03:36 PM
daysfancarlymanning's Avatar Super Mommy
no real advice but welcome and hope alls ok but i agree with ditzzy
March 16th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
It is normally after falling past 2 major percentile lines which your son has passed. He is still proportionate but if his curve has been slower than that of the chart that can explain the difference. Do you have any other random weights to see if you can plot his growth curve and see if he has a curve or if he was fine at first then gradually slowed down growth wise? That would be helpful for you to know. Birth weight has more to do with the mom usually than the baby. I have seen you on either the food allergy or asthma board..or both. Danny has both as well. It makes feeding him hard but finding healhty fat foods that he likes has been extremely helpful. He eats a lot of meat and used to eat a lot of cheese but that started causing problems in the bm department so we have stopped cheese for a while. Yogurt, milk, avocados and garbonzo beans turned into hummus are good as well. Danny won't eat the avocado but if you can get your little man to eat them they are a really good source of good fats. We have started peptamen Jr because even with the high calorie diet he is on now and the enzyme replacement he isn't gaining weight. You can also make out a food diary. Write down serving sizes and brands, types, and condiments with the food. If you are in the area of a children's hospital there is usually a nutrition department that your ped can refer you to and they will calculate how many calories he is getting. You do the diary for three days and they take an average. If he isn't eating enough calories to grow than he won't. You can't force feed him but at least you will know that once he eats more you will be able to get him to gain weight.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

March 17th, 2011, 07:19 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
FTT is diagnosed when a child falls 2 or more major percentile lines in a relatively short period of time, or when they consistently fall below the 3% for an extended period with no upward trend.

Being that it took your son from birth to 17 months to fall they probably dont consider him FTT yet. Around 18 months is about the time genetics starts to take over, so it could be that he is just genetically small. Also, kids gain much less in their second year; only around 6 pounds where they gain about 15 pounds in their first year, so slowing growth is normal at that age. Picky eating is also very normal in toddlers. One of the best ways to encourage a toddler to eat is to limit their milk intake. They often fill up on milk, then wont eat food.

I would just talk with the doctor and see what he suggests. If you are concerned let them know. Good luck, hope he gains for you soon

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy
April 18th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Happy Mommy
C was watced starting at 2 weeks of age and her diagnoises came some time after that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search