What is a normal weight?

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Regular
Hi,
My dd is almost 2yrs old and was just diagnosed with ftt. She was 4ilbs 15ozs at birth and just never grew fast. She has yet to actually hit a growth chart, and now she has actually started losing a little. She was just in the hospital with rotovirus last week and the ped on call went nuts over her size (she is 19 pounds 9oz. and around 33inches tall). He basically said I was under feeding her and called social serves on us. I can chase her all day with food and she refuses, and when she does find a food she will only eat a tiny serving of it. She normally drinks about 3 pedisures a day and 3 glasses of milk. But they told me to limit her to only 3 servings of eithier of those a day. The found nothing medically wrong and the childrens hospital she went to after the ER said that she was perfectly fine other than a slightly low iron level. I am just so afraid that she is going to lose even more with limiting her milk. she is actually eating a little now, it just takes about 1-1 and a half hours per meal plus snacks and really the key with her is for me to act like I don't care if she eats. The nutritionist we went to said she thought it was mostly a power issue. She knows she doesn't have to do it and we want her to so she if exercising her power. So far when she shows to interest in food I just sit the plate or whatever down and say "that's ok you don't have to eat it" and I just leave it at that and within a few minutes she will go over to it and if i just ignore her she will eat some eventually. Has anyone else had any luck with limiting the milk to increase appitite? Her iron level was not even an entire point low so they did not think that's what was causing the problem so really all the said was keep doing what your doing. I am just so afraid that another dr will think I don't feed her, even though we have had one dr out of about 10 that have thought that. Most drs just say she is small and doesn't like to eat, but not that one, sheesh. Wow, sorry its so long but its wonderful to be able to vent to people who understand the guilt and frusteration that comes with all this!!

Thanks and have agood day!!
~~~~Sarah~~~~

Mom to Abigail (4-8-03) and Jeremiah (8-24-04)
April 4th, 2005, 04:45 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
OMG! I can't believe the treatment you have received. Have you been sent to a feeding clinic? Have you seen a speech pathologist to make sure there aren't any problems with chewing or swallowing? What about an occupational therapist to look into sensory integrationi disorder.

My son was like yours he still doesn't eat well. But he is in the tenth percentile now. Right now he mostly drinks pediasure and still doesn't eat very much food. He is twentyone months.

I don't agree on the power struggle. I think that you have been given lousy advice. What I was told was to put Brandon in the highchair to eat at least three times a day. They had me put him on scheduled feedings. We started with having him eat things he liked and built from there. We went to a feeding clinic once a week for a while, until he started eating a little better. He still doesn't eat very well but much better than he did before.

What does your dd like? Is there anything she will eat?

I am sorry I am late replying. I hope you will stick around. There are a lot of great ladies here.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 5th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Regular
Patty,
Thanks for the reply. I am really still trying to decide which dr to really trust. She has never been to a feeding clinic, until I read about them on this board I had no idea they existed. We had a nutritionist that came in while she ate once and she said there didn't seem to be anything at all wrong with the way she eats. And we know that other than her weight she is healthy, besides the fact that she gets every cold or flu that comes by. As far as her actually liking foods it just depends on her mood. One minute she loves a food and the next she will not touch it and then a week later she loves it again. Right now teddy grahams are her big thing, I know I know so good for her lol. And right now she is eating the gerber toddler foods really well, she only eats about a third to half of one in a meal but she is eating. I really dont know what to do or where to go from here. The childrens hospital she was in is the best in the state hands down but in some ways I dont think they really checked everything out. Has your son ever seen an endocrinologist? I have had a lot of people tell me that she should see one and I just wondered about it. I really don't feel like there is anything wrong with her health wise, she never cries after meals like she is in pain and she seems to do fine swallowing and chewing other than the fact that she tends to cram a ton in her mouth and chew and then gag herself. I'm not sure if thats a normal kid thing or what. I told drs about it though. The totally ironic thing is that my 7 month old son eats EVERYTHING in sight!! His dr suggested trying finger foods even, he loves food and his weight is normal even though he was smaller at birth. I really in some ways feel like my daughter is just small, I am just over 5 foot tall, my mother is short my grandmother was 4 foot 10 when she passed away and I can remember wearing clothes that were a 3t in kindergarten. But I know she should weigh more than she does and she should eat more than she does. Wow its insanely long again lol. My hubby is right, I go on and on lol. Thanks for listening again! In your next post could you dscribe what a feeding clinic is exactly? Thanks!!!!

~~~~Sarah~~~~~
April 5th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I don't have time to reply right now but I really want you to know that I am listening. I will be on later tonight or tomorrow to answer as much as I can. ((Hugs)) and stick around.

April 12th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Regular
Sarah, I am sorry to hear about your dd. I also have a son who is ftt. He is 3 and weights 25 1/2 pds. He is 371/2 inches long and barely wears a 2t in clothing. He was diagnosed with ftt at 9 months. He barely eats at all maybe 2, 3 bites. He is on pediasure he was drinking 4 a day now he has decided he only wants if i am lucky 2 a day. I have until may 23 to increase his weight or a feeding tube is going in. I have fought off the tube so far. I am now losing the battle. Has your dd ever gone to a gastroenterologist? Maybe she has something going on in her stomach. I was refered to one after my son came down with an awful intestinal virus that usually only affects children on mega doses of antibiotics. He had not been on antibiotics when he got this. He was in the hospital for a week. I was sent to the gastro and found out he had gastritis (bleeding spots in his stomach) he was put on prevacid to stop pain and heal the stomach. Now he still does not eat. Try not to stress I know its hard. My doctors told me if my son wants to eat on the roof let him. He has good days and bad. This has been a long battle for me. My son like your dd gets every cold and virus wich makes him not want to eat or drink. He is less than the 3 percentile for weight so a cold is bad for us. I have two older boys neither one has ever had a problem with eating or weight. If you need to vent this is a good place. Also like you I have had doctors make me feel less than competent. You and only you know you are a good mom. Don't let them project any guilt on you. We do the best we can for our children. They see kids all day and we live with ours and know how hard it is to watch them turn away food. That does not make us bad moms.

Alisa
April 13th, 2005, 03:07 AM
I am so sorry it has taken me so long to reply back. To answer your question Brandon has seen an endicrinologist and had lots of bloodwork on hormonal problems. So far he doesn't have any problems but he is at risk for hormone problems because of having optic nerve hypoplasia. He has a lot of other issues.

I would find a new pediatrician if you haven't already and see if he/she can do some basic bloodwork to make sure there is not a hormonal problem or some type of metabolic disorder. Does your dd have any other issues or just with size? Developmentally how is she doing?

I would also talk to your doctor about getting a referral to a feeding clinic or at least have her evaluated. Usually they will do a swallow study to make sure that there isn't problems swallowing. Brandon did not have problems that you would necessarily have picked up on if you weren't trained. That is why it bothers me that a nutrionist made a judgement call on how he is eating. I would suggest seeing an occupational therapist or speech pathologist to make sure there aren't any other issues with feeding/chewing. You will also want to see if you can get an upper GI schedule to make sure she doesn't have reflux or something that is bothering her tummy. Sometimes that will cause feeding problems.

Another thing I would do is demand a prescription for pediasure or some type of supplement. Your dd is definitely underweight and if she is not getting enough calories from food then she needs to get them from some where.

((hugs)) to you.

June 16th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Sarah, I posted to your other post. I hope you and your little one are doing well. I am so glad you found our site. I hope to get to know you better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search