New to this forum..

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 10:08 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Hi Everyone my name is Amy! Ive been on JM for a while now but didn't have to come into this room till now. I have a almost 3 year and a 9 month old. I just took my 9month old for his check up and it went bad!!! At his 6 month check he was 12.5lbs and had to come back 2 weeks later to get his weight checked since he was only 25 percentile and didn't seem to be on track. Well I took him back and he was gaining and into the 13's..Well I just took him to his 9 month check and he LOST almost 2lbs!!! Im freaking out, I dont know how this happened!!! He's only 11.6 now and only in the 5th for weight!!! He gets 25-30oz's of formula plus I try and do 2 jars of food a day. My Peid is having me make 3 scoops in his formula and come back next friday to see if he's gaining. If he doesn't gain by then he has to get blood work done. Im so scared! I dont know what happened or what I can do to help!!! Any food suggestions???? Thanks!
June 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Welcome...I now what this is like but don't get too worried just yet. My son has never been higher than the 16% and he is almost 6, however my daughter has alwasy been in the 50% or higher. I think every child is differnet and doctors need to take this in to consideration. Not every child is gonna be at the 50% line but that doesn't mean something is wrong. ( my son does however have crohns disease ) I have always had to put cereal in with the formula for my son. Has your son been sick lately? That could be a reason. My son always loses weight when he is sick. Does he poop more than normal? I know its hard but all you can do is what the doctor says and just hope for the best ..at his age there isn't much you can do in the food department...like I said maybe add some cereal to his bottle to make it a little more filling . Hope this helps and that everything works out.
June 3rd, 2011, 10:07 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Thanks! No he hasn't been sick. He got a fever and an ear infection when he was 6 months and it was also cause he was teething. But since then been fine and didn't lose weight then. He did start army crawling and is pretty fast! Im thinking this is another reason he has started losing. He doesn't have any abnormal poops and does spit up but is more a happy spiter.
June 5th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
Sorry for the delayed response! I have been on vacation and just got back in today.

I am biased due to my son having enzyme issues but they usually start around 6 months old symptom-wise. My DS Danny will be 4 years old 7/13 and has exocrine pancreatic insufficiency among many other complications/issues. (The root is still being determined for him.) He was 18 pounds at 6 months old and then stopped growing all-together. He weighed 18 pounds or less for a full 18 months. He finally started a high calorie formula (Neocate Jr.) and gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks. Then he more or less stalled again. He weighed 21 pounds 3 months after his 2nd birthday. He started digestive enzyme supplements to replace the enzymes he didn't make and he gained 8 pounds in 4 months. Since then however he has fluctuated between 30 and 31 pounds... This is due to some other reason which we have not yet found...but if your LO continues to lose or simply fails to gain for an extended time period I would mention this to your docs so that they can check for this. Our doc did the enzyme supplements before the actual procedure to see if they helped him. He gained the first 2 pounds in 30 days. I really hope he has just had an off week and will get back to growing soon, but if not we will be here for support or advice where ever we can give it.

Suggestions...
You can try upping the calories per ounce in his formula by mixing it thicker. Danny was on 30 cal/ounce with the neocate jr. We still added more formula to the water at some points and eventually added canola oil to his formula to raise the fat and calorie count when it stopped helping him. Keep us updated on your LO. This board is slow but I try to check it every time I get online.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search