not gaining at all FTT???

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Hi, I'm new, this is my first post, I've been searching for a board like this, very excited!
My 16 mo son doesn't eat, he has had issues since around 11 months. I nursed him almost entirely for 12 months, he did try all the foods from 6 to 12 months and tolerated them, liked yogurt, ate rice and meat etc. At 13 months I stopped nursing when I became pregnant since I have history of prematurity. He tolerated this fine. The problem is between 9 and 16 months he's gained one pound and nothing for the last 3 months, he doesn't loose, but doesn't gain, his height has gone up a little. We have a dr appt tomorrow, he's been several times and she keeps saying to feed him this and that, I know what to feed him, i sneak organic, unrefined canola oil or olive oil into anything and everything I can....but he won't take anything at all and if he decides he will its 3 bites and no more. He only wants to self-feed, but he doesn't actually eat, he plays. I've read the books, tried all the tactics, leaving food out, eating while playing, while at the table while doing cartwheels. Nothing helps. I am beginning to feel it's a medical issue maybe although he seems fine, he's ahead on all his milestones, he just isn't hungry and he's barely getting 400 cals per day for the last 4 days....I know, that's terrible. He was doing a bit better before only because I put him on pediasure plus (350 cals, 17 gms of fat per 8 oz), but if it werent for that he'd almost always be at 500 cals per day and it takes the whole day to get it into him, 10 to 12 hours of sipping his sippy cup. He gets cranky after 2 or 3 hrs of being awake and has 2 or 3 naps a day and sleeps 10 hrs thru the night. I'm asking for bloodwork tomorrow and a referral to someone that won't make us wait 3 months.
April 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to i3ai3ydanny
The sleep schedule sounds exactly like my son at that age. He has to eat between 2500 and 3000 calories per day to maintain his weight at this point and they are still unsure why. His issues started at 6 months when I stopped nursing. Was his eating a sudden stop or a gradual drop off? Danny had a literal overnight change. He ate 3000 calories daily for over a year then woke up one day and ate nothing. He ate nothing for 2 days, then 1-3 bites per day for 2 weeks, then gradually over the next 7 months he was back up to over 2500 per day. His sudden stop was due to a set of digestive issues that included reflux, bile reflux, gastritis, esophogitis, and digestive ulcers. After we treated this his eating finally picked up pretty quickly. (By month 5 he was still only getting about 5-800 calories per day but after these issues were found and treated his eating skyrocketed again.) If it has been a gradual thing however I would have him referred to a speech/feeding therapist for evaluation of sensory, motor, and other issues. :/

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my GREAT siggy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search