Could we have some introductions?

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2005, 07:53 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
if you are new here or visiting please stop in and introduce yourself.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
May 17th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Hi Ladies:

I am new to this board and happy to have found other people in my same situation. I have a 24 month old daughter who is 18.8 lbs and 32 inches in length. It seems that everytime she starts to gain weight she gets sick and then drops a pound. She had a bunch of tests ran and everything thus far has come back normal. I am so stressed. She will not take pediasure or milk. Any suggestions? I am getting desperate

Cheri
May 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Hi Cheri. It is so nice to see a new face on the board. I am sorry that you are struggling with this. Brandon is about 32 inches but he is now up to 25 pounds which puts him somewhere above the tenth percentile. I haven't checked it in a while. He was off the charts for a while so I am very happy with his weight.

What does she take? Does she take formula still? What about foods? Does she eat any table foods or baby foods? Does she having problems with feeding or swallowing? Has she seen a speech pathologist or been evaulated by a feeding clinic? Sorry for all the questions just trying to figure out where you are at with things.

May 17th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Hi Patty:

Thanks for the welcome. Lexi only drinks water and orange juice. I have tried Lactaid and Soy milk to no avail. She eats all table foods and is an o.k. eater. She has no problems swallowing or chewing, but can be a stinker at times to get her to eat. I have been to an endo Dr., but not the feeding clinic. That will be our next step. The endo Dr. said to feed her however she wants and if that means in the bath tub so be it. Now my pediatrician and myself have a hard time with that because we feel this will only cause future eating problems.....ohhhh the joy How old is your son?

Cheri
May 17th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Brandon is 22 months. He does not eat very much. Very little table foods so I guess you are lucky in that regards. I would insist on having her evaulated by a feeding clinic. I am not sure what you have in your area but that really helped with Brandon. We didn't have to go for very long. What I would work on is adding calories to what she will drink. If she drinks orange juice maybe you can add powdered formula to it or add a little vegetable oil to it and make a shake out of it. If she eats table food I would try getting her to eat as many high calorie foods as you can. Add as much fat to her diet as you can because it is high in calories, add a little vegetable oil to her meals. That is what was recommended to me. I am glad your doctor has sent you to an endo that is a good start. Is she haivng any other health issues?

May 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Patty:

We try to fatten up her food as much as possible, however, I will try the vegetable oil! I wonder if she will notice. It seems when I fatten up her food she just eats less of it.....go figure. We have been recommended to go to the feeding clinic, but I was just waiting to see until her two year old birthday. Well, her birthday is Monday so I am sure we will be setting up an appointment. We would go to the Children's Hospital in Milwaukee. Where are you in Michigan?

Besides her weight she is fine. She is developmentally ahead of the game (braggin' Mommy talking)! She is active and very independent....everything is "I do"! That's why sometimes I just think she is going to be small and all is o.k. Ahhhh....I don't know. The Dr. did not think an endoscopy would give us any new information so we didn't have that done yet. I guess we will have to wait for the feeding clinic advice. Thanks so much for responding it's nice to chat with someone about it that understands

Cheri
May 18th, 2005, 01:56 PM
I live somewhere near Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. Brandon did not have an endoscopy. Isn't that a probe they use to look inside you? He had a swallow study done. Basically they watched him eat and did an xray as he swallowed. He did not have swallowing problems per say but had problems with chewing and his oral motor skills. He was chewing/eating at the level of a six month old when he was about fifteen months old. He still does have problems with this. I watch him eat and he eats with the middle of his mouth instead of using the side of his mouth to chew like most people. He is a lot better but I think this is still something we need to work on.

You may be right about her being on the small side but eighteen pounds is very small. Are you small? What about your dh? Maybe that is part of it.

I will try to think of some more ideas to help.

May 18th, 2005, 06:54 PM
One of my very best friends lives in Traverse City. They moved from Detroit a couple years ago! I was just there about a month ago for her little one's baptism

Anyway, I hope the chewing gets better for your son. Yes, genetically she will be small with a 5'2 (110 lbs.) and 5'7 pool she probably will be petite. We will see what her next appointment brings! I know my Dr. did say they just had a little girl who was 17 lbs. on her 2nd B-day and all was o.k. so I am hoping for the same.

I will let you know what happens at her check-up.

Cheri
May 20th, 2005, 05:10 AM
Keep us posted.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search