Started Jules on DuoCal

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
Wow, this got long lol

We just started it today. We (the ped. and DH and I) were debating between the Scandishake and Duocal, and ultimately decided with the latter - because while the Scandishake would have more fat and would probably make her gain weight quicker, the Duocal would be encouraging her to eat solids (which she isn't really doing too well). Also, the Scandishake would only eliminate about 9oz of Pediasure/day (a little over 1 can), and the DuoCal eliminates 2 1/2 cans.

So, we're down to 4 1/2 cans/day of Pediasure, which basically guarantees that she won't be doing the NG anytime soon ( ). We do have to make sure that she eats some sort of solid/jarred food mixed with a tablespoon of the Duocal in the morning, and in the evening. If she doesn't finish the food and get all the calories from the powder that she should, then we have to guess and add it to her Pediasure lol So, we'll see how that goes. She was 18lbs 8.5oz when I weighed her today, so I'm going to weigh her again in a week and see how this new feeding schedule is working out.

On a side note, I'm at a total loss on what to do with her scalp. Because of her skin condition, she has this really thick, really hard cap of scales underneath where her hair is (the scales are *just* on the top of her head, not the sides or back). It sort of looks like cradle cap, but white instead of yellow, and harder to get out. In the past, I'd exfolliate her scalp everyday with a washcloth and/or comb in the bath, and it usually took about 30-45 minutes. Now that she's more active, she will NOT let me do that anymore (which is why the scales built up so much in the first place lol).

I just don't know what to do to get them out!! When I try to comb them out dry, while she's watching TV or something, big chunks of hair come out. I'm going to try something called Bakers P+S oil, which has glycerin and something else, to disintegrate the scales...but I'm really nervous because her skin is thinner than unaffected people, so it might hurt. And, other people I've talked to who have used it, said it made their hair start to thin out. So I'm thinking it might actually make her bald, because her hair has a follicle deformity which makes it really frail to start with.

So that SUCKS. I almost cry everytime I look at her scalp, because I see no way to get the scales out, that doesn't result in her having no hair. Makes me really sad. Of all the things this stupid disorder has thrown at us, this hair thing just really pisses me off the most, because it's not ENOUGH that she's incredibly small for her age, delayed in her motor skills, and will have wacky skin the rest of her life - you just HAVE to throw the hair thing in there, especially with her being a girl.

::

On a happier note, I've been taking care of me a lot better. I quit smoking about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I started doing yoga every morning, and I meditate for at least 15 minutes after Julia's gone to bed. The quitting smoking thing is huge for me, I never thought I'd manage to do it! Now I have to chip away at Dmitry until he gets sick of me bugging him about quitting and just quits
May 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yay for duocal!! It's expensive...but SO worth it!! Lots o' calories!!!

It sounds like things are going really well there!! Good luck w/ the duocal!!!
May 3rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like Miss Julia is doing really well. I'm sorry about her hair situation. I know that with everything else you have to deal with, this is the last thing you want to worry about. Of course, she's just precious any which way So is this Duocal like a shake? I've only heard you talk about it and I'm not really sure how it works. Scandishake comp makes a thing called scandical which is suppose to be a powder you add to food as a way of adding calories.
May 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
I am glad that she is doing well. I know that her head thing is like cradle cap...can you use baby oil on it? That is what I did for Sadie. I also used Tea Tree oil and this stuff called Cradle Cap. I am not sure who makes that but it worked great for Gabe. I would rub their heads with the baby shampoo and scrap it off too. I used to pick at it too....I am not sure if that is right and if they would say I was wrong but I couldn't stand the flakiness of it....

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
May 4th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Lisa - yeah, DuoCal sounds like Scandical. It's a tasteless powder that you can add to food to increase the calories. Hopefully we'll be able to wean her off most of the Pediasure and onto regular food this way. I'm going to weigh her tonight, it's been a few days and I'm curious to see if she's gained anything!

Since she was born, I've been doing baby oil on her scalp, and getting the scales off with a comb and/or washcloth in the bath, but now she won't sit still long enough for me to do it. It's gotten to the point where the scales are so thick and tight on the hair itself, that I can't see any way at all to get the scales off without pulling the hair out with it. I've been using Burt's Bees Feeling Flaky shampoo, and I think it's done a good job at minimizing the flaking, but does nothing for the scales. They discontinued it anyway, so it's going to be harder to find. We just got the OK from her doc to use something called Baker's P&S, it's supposed to work well at cutting through scales (it's an oil you leave on overnight, and then shampoo out with a special rinse). Just ordered it, so we'll see...
May 5th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Veteran
My daughter (also adopted from Ethiopia) has tight tight curls and also really dry skin all over. I was given avacado oil (actually a paste), you slather it on their hair and sculp at night and then put on a cap to let it soak in. Pretty messy but really has helped her hair stituation. I know there diffrent but it helped us and maybe it could help you too!!!

We add duo cal to everything of Isaiahs and he can't even tell, so I hope it helps for you guys too.
May 5th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd love to hear if that new product works for her scalp. Brandon had bad cradle cap up until he was a yr old. I hated trying to get rid of it. You feel like you're gonna hurt their little head. How's her skin doing? She's looking great in the pics you posted in the PR.
May 6th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Other than her scalp, her skin's been FANTASTIC. Seriously. I don't have to do anything in the bath except wash around her mouth a little (around her mouth gets drier than the rest of her body, and it's a bit redder on her chin for some reason) and wash her hair. I still do the ridiculous lotion routine after her bath, and I give her one twice/day, but I'm not complaining! lol

We were talking about looking into getting hair implants for her, maybe when she's 4 or 5, instead of messing around with a wig. I'm just not sure how that would work, b/c her hair is genetically damaged, and usually when they do hair implants they take hair from elsewhere and implant it. So it wouldn't make much sense to implant hair that will break off; and you can't just implant someone else's hair (I was thinking Dmitry's, b/c their hair color and texture is similar, before I found out it doesn't work like that lol). I guess we'll see. I just hate the thought of her messing around with a wig, particularly when she's young and kids are mean, and who wants to wear a wig when it's like, 80 degrees outside?
May 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
I hope the duocal helps and she gains weight!!! Congrats on quitting smoking. Good luck with the hair problem...I have no advice.

May 8th, 2007, 01:53 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
for Julia! Glad she is doing well with the DuoCal. As for the scalp issue, I have no idea what to recommend. The only thing I can think of is if there is some sort of plastic cap you can keep on her with some sort of overnight treatment. I know of some women who wear gloves to bed with moisturizers, etc. to make their skin extra soft. Maybe something along those lines would help her scalp absorb every last bit of moisture she can get from the oil. I don't know if that would work with a squirmy baby, though!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search