My parents & Anna's non-progress

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2007, 01:08 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, so in my little intro, I posted how my parents joked how they could fatten her up. I went to visit them down in Florida this weekend, and they made the joke again. I had to walk out of the room, though I don't think they noticed. It really gets to me. I beat myself up enough, I don't need to hear from others that she'd do better out of my care.

Well, I was mildly pleased when my mom nearly lost it with Anna during several meals. Some days, she'll just decide she's not eating and there is nothing you can do. She kept saying, "I can't believe she doesn't eat!" And we came up with all sorts of theories as to why.

Maybe she's not really physically advanced enough to handle 100% tablefood. Unfortunately, with her extreme stubbornness, she won't accept more than a bite or two of anything by spoon, even foods she loves. Sometimes I try putting peas (one of her favorites) onto the spoon, but she'll knock the spoon on out my hand and then pick the peas up with her fingers. Therefore, anything that SHE can't put into her mouth is NOT going in her mouth.

Anyway, she barely ate all weekend until my mom made pasta for her. Now, I've made pasta for her several times, but apparently she likes this particular kind of pasta. She couldn't get enough of it, even picking past the peas to grab them. They were doused in butter and olive oil, so she got calories at that point. So in the three days we were there, she had two meals that I would qualify as a full meal. Other than that, a couple bites of fruit, and everything else would be thrown to the floor.

We're waiting for our appointment with the nutritionist. We are supposed to get a call at some point this week. I'm excited about being given real advice about Anna's eating. I got so desperate with her the other day I tried to give her bacon cheeseburger, fries and a frosty! She could have cared less about it!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
May 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have yet to find a rhyme or reason to Brandon's eating habits. Try not to beat youself up about it (I know it's hard). Some days he eats way better for my mom, or my husband, or when we are at a playgroup. My doctor made a comment once that I might be stressing him out about eating (which I don't think and hope is not the case) and it made me mad that I was getting blamed for it. Usually Brandon won't eat things I make especially for him, he only wants to eat off our plates. I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. Do you have regular weight checks at home or with a doctor for her?
May 9th, 2007, 08:53 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
When my mom was visiting she also made the comment that she would "fatten Paige up" during her visit. It made me really mad as well.
Good luck with the nutritionist visit.

May 12th, 2007, 07:19 PM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
I think it is really hard for people to understand that not all kids are good eaters. I tried explaining things to my family about Gabe and I might as well been speaking another language because they didn't get it. Gabe is very funny about his eatting too. There was about 4 months where I couldn't eat at the table with my DH and the kids because Gabe wouldn't eat. I ate by myself in my room because if he couldn't see me or hear me he would eat well. We also know that for some reason he will eat anything that my friend Missy gives him. I have been known to invite us ovver for lunch or dinner just so that he would eat. I think that she is one of my only friends that understands and is happy to have him over. It gets really hard sometimes. With my family I ignore it. Gabe went through a grazing phase where if it was on someone elses plate he would eat it...not on his though. Everyone was fine with it except my mom. She would not let him eat of her plate and it was the plate that he wanted so he got upset and didn't eat for 2 days. I think her seeing that opened her eyes a little to the issues that we are dealing with and she felt horrible. I hope that your appointment goes well. Good Luck.

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search