hunger strikes

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but I have a few questions. I don't see any threads about hunger strikes on your forum. I've tried several times to do a search, but for some reason that function isn't working for me. I have a VERY determined little one. She has been on hunger strikes for quite some time in response to weaning. After doing some reading on the board, I realize that she has been drinking too much milk and filling up on it, in order to avoid eating solids. The other thing she does is eats little bits of food through out the day, just enough to stave off hunger. She has been borderline FTT. We've been to the endocrinologist and he said that she was fine. They also ran a bunch of blood tests. I know there are more tests that can be run, but I'm pretty sure this is all about weaning. Do any of you have head-strong little ones who do similar things? What have you done?
May 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
One of the most common things I've heard...seems so obvious, but it's sooo hard to do.

Don't put so much attention on the food. Sound contradictory? It is. But, especially with a stubborn girl, you have to ignore the strike. Don't try to push food on her, don't cheer when she eats. Try to cut back the amount of milk she gets to leave room for solids...but don't force the solids on her. If she is truly being stubborn, the more focus you put on the food, the more she'll refuse to eat it. Take a "chill pill" when it comes to food. Offer it at set times (if possible in your house), but don't make a huge deal if she does eat or doesn't. With time maybe she'll stop doing that to defy you and (fun for you) move onto something else *LOL*

But that's just my $.02!!!
May 14th, 2007, 06:19 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree about putting less attention toward food. She used to SCREAM at the high chair forever and wouldn't eat a single bite. She could go days without eating if she wanted to. She is very, very stubborn. She totally rejected being fed baby food and only accepted finger foods she puts in her mouth herself. We realized maybe she felt too much pressure or too controlled. We bought a booster and bring it out to the living room. We put food on her tray while we go about our business (usually that's when I'm on the computer, supposedly ignoring here). A lot of times the TV will be on, which I know is supposedly a no-no, but it's the way she eats the best. I'd rather her get the nutrition she needs now and deal with the consequences later than let her starve herself! She is still far from a good eater (hence why I am visiting this board), but it has improved from non-existent eating by changing up the eating environment.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
May 14th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. We tried the no pressure approach, but she is now falling down alot and wobbly on her feet. She is still quite active, but there is a distinctive change to me. I definitely think decreasing the milk is important, but she gets obsessive with it. I don't think we have the room to let her get hungry. Even if we did, she only eats enough to stave off the hunger. I have an appointment with the doc today. She started the high chair screaming so now we have her eat while I hold her standing up or sitting down. She will not drink ensure. The last time I tried diluting it in milk, she went on a liquid strike for over 12 hours during the day. I give her milk fortified with formula. Any and all thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.
May 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM
We went to the doctor today. She is 15 months old 18 lbs 7 oz. , 18.5 inches tall, and HC of 18. She grew half an inch and is 3 oz heavier then last week, but that may have been the food she ate this morning. decreasing the milk is helping today, but she is still fighting about eating solids. The doctor suggested not putting formula into the milk and maybe that will keep her from filling up so fast. I think she is gaining weight because of the formula.

I guess I should mention that I'm 4'10'' tall, but my husband is much taller. I think the docs is writing her size off to genetics, but I'm still concerned that there are several months of non-growth interspersed with 1/2 to an inch of growth here and there.

If you have any thoughts, please let me know.

Thank you
May 14th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like her checkup went okay to me! My son is just under 22lbs at 19 mo old (about 3rd %). He just doesn't ever seem hungry. We have him on a prescription called Periactin which increases his appetite. We also add things to his milk to add calories (adding Ovaltine or Scandishake, heavy cream). Seems like a lot of parents say that once kids start walking they are more picky eaters or eat less, which is really frustrating. We let him eat in front of the TV too, or eat off our plates, whatever he wants, as long as he's eating. He had pudding, pineapple and animal crackers for breakfast today and I was thrilled. HUGS to you.
June 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Sorry it has been so long. My daughter is now eating a reasonable amount and even looks like she is storing fat! We ended up giving her whole milk without formula. The doctor was worried that the formula was filling her up. We limited the amount of milk that she was aloud to drink. Then we hand fed her food for several days (amounts that we thought were reasonable). We then went on vacation and let her regulate the food again. She didn't eat much on vacation till towards the end, but since we were in another country, that is some what understandable. When we got home, we made her favorite foods, and she started eating like there was no tomorrow. She's been going strong for two weeks.

A couple of questions have come up though. Do FTT kids ever catch up?! My daughter is 16 months and VERY small. Is there any chance that she will be closer to her "intended" height? Unfortunately, her problems started between 6 and 8 months of age. So, she missed some critical growth spurts. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
June 13th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know that they ever "catch up". Three of my cousins were FTT infants/toddlers and now they are all still very trim and of average height. You never know what will happen in their teen years either, they may catch up then

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search