Need opinions

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Veteran
Hi everyone,
My name is Jenn and I am mainly a lurker here on this board but I really wanted to see what you guys think about my son. He is almost 5 years old (will be 5 in the beginning of August) and we have had weight gain and feeding issues in the past. He was never dx w/ FTT but that is probably b/c my ped can be pretty laid back. Cade went thru feeding clinic and did feeding therapy and he was discharged from that in January of 2005. His appetite has always been pretty limited and small but in general if I knew I was doing all I could for him and he seemed ok, I didn't worry too much.

What I really am trying to figure out is what would be normal growth and weight gain for a child his age. These are his stats for his last 3 yearly checkups:

2 yrs 23.1 lbs
32 inches

3 yrs 26.11 lbs
36 1/2 inches

4 yrs 29 lbs
38 1/2 inches

Now that he is almost 4, at his last appt where he was weighed and measured which was in April he was 28 lbs and 39 inches.

He does have other issues going on, mainly neurologically based. I am going to see what his ped says at his checkup in August but for the most part people just say "well look at you, you are not big" and yes that is true. My daughter is pretty small and always has been but I never had this little nagging worry that I do with Cade.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for any input.

Jenn
Mommy to Kendall, Cade and Colton
June 12th, 2007, 04:05 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know what you mean about others saying "you're not big." I understand that different people are different sizes and some are just meant to be small. With my daughter being born at 5 lbs 9 oz at full term, I knew she would never be a giant, or even average. I would just love to see her at a HEALTHY weight. At this point, I'd be elated to just have her on the weight chart at all. I get annoyed when people tell me I shouldn't worry at all when I do feel there is something to be concerned about.

If you are concerned that he is not meant to be THIS small, try and make it known to the doctors. It could be that he is "just small," it could be related to his existing problems, or it could be something they haven't explored yet. Either way, make sure your concerns are addressed and you feel satisfied with the response you receive.

BTW, I checked two different growth charts online (including the JM one) and one said he was below the 3rd percentile for weight, another said he was in the 5th.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
June 12th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My doctor doesn't really care where on the chart (or just below the chart) my son is as long as he's following a curve of normal gain/growth. I have a growth chart printed out and on my fridge so I know the range Brandon needs to be in at each age (this one only goes up to 3yrs though). Sounds like he's fine to me if he's been consistantly on the lower end of the chart.
June 12th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Veteran
Thanks ladies for the replies! I really appreciate your input. I have to agree that my doctor isn't big into the percentages on the growth chart either as long as they don't fall off their own curve. Cade has only fallen off his curve once and that was when we had the major eating issues that warranted the feeding clinic and feeding therapy.

I realize that I had a typo in my original post, but Cade is almost 5 not 4 like I said. I just think that it is strange that he has gained no weight in a years time. I guess I will just talk to his ped and maybe his neuro too to see what they think - then maybe I get get rid of this feeling that something just isn't right.

Thanks again!

Jenn
Mommy to Kendall, Cade and Colton

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search