Thought I would introduce myself

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm April and I have 2 kids Issac (7) and Carly (10 months). Carly is the one that is having trouble gaining weight. Right now she is at 15 pounds and 2 ounces. Last month she was at 15 pounds and 7 ounces . The doctor is concerned. I don't really know what to do. It is not like she is not eating. She eats all the time. I think she is just to active and burns it all off. Truth be told I'm not too worried about her. She looks healthy enough.

Does anyone else have a baby about Carly's age? Or do you remember how much your baby weighed at that age? Is she really that little? I know that she is much smaller than most babies in my PR.

June 22nd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi, welcome. I have a son and I know that the growth charts are a little different for boys and girls. I know my son wasn't 20 lbs by the time he was a year but he was probably 18 or so. If you look a little higher on the main part of this forum you can see where all of us are recording our kids' weights, you are welcome to add your daughters as well, just to keep track.

Initally our doc recommended adding butter, cream or any other high calorie product to his foods. Now that he's on whole milk we add Carnation Instant Breakfast or Ovaltine to boost his calories. Brandon's problem has always been that he doesn't eat enough, which can be much different than eating and not gaining. Have that talked about running any tests yet? Most of the kiddos here have been through a battery of testing so we might be able to answer any questions you have. HTH.
June 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! Welcome, and I must say, Carly is just beautiful!!

15 lbs 2 oz is well below the charts for 10 months. Weight loss over the course of one month alone isn't necessarily something to jump up and get concerned about. If her weight doesn't begin to follow the normal curve, however, that is when you need to figure out what is going on. It's good that she's eating well. Did she just start doing something new this month that might explain the loss?

Here is a link to a weight chart I really like. I like it because it lets you see the full picture of your baby's weight. The way my doctor explains it, there is no reason to be concerned about a small baby, only a growth curve that flattens out too much or, of course, begins to go down. My baby was born at 5 lbs 9 oz, so of course she isn't going to be a giant. The reason we're concerned now is that she did get as high as the 30th percentile when she was 4 months old or so and then has fallen back across the charts to all the way off of it.

As for what my baby weight at that age, I don't think I got her weighed at 10 months, but her 9 month weight was 16 lbs even, which was around the 10th percentile. She was fine. Unfortunately, that's the time when food began to be an issue, so her weight since that age is what has been a problem.

Anyway, I hope we can help if you have any questions!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
June 22nd, 2007, 02:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Rosalie, I've never seen that link. Thanks so much for posting it, it's awesome!!!
June 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Hi! Welcome, and I must say, Carly is just beautiful!![/b]
Thanks, I think so too!

She was pretty small when she was born (6lbs, 15 ozs). Until she hit 6 months she was going with the curve. Then her weight leveled off on the curve. Now it is dropping a bit. The length and head circumferences is still on the curve.

June 22nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
OMG, that's Brandon to a tee. He was 6.15 at birth and at 6 mo we started leveling off before dropping off the curve, eventually getting back on a few months ago.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search