Please help

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2007, 10:50 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 8 month old daughter, Ella, was born a month early with Intra Uterine Growth Restriction. She was 5 pounds at birth, and did a great job of gaining weight the first few months. However, in the last few months, her weight has steadily slipped on he growth percentage charts......She was at the 50th percentile around 4 months....slipped to the 25th, then to the 10th, and then she went in 2 days ago and is now at around the 5th or 6th. She weighs 15 pounds 5 ounces. They are a bit concerned because she keeps slipping.

I am having problems figuring out what I can sneak into her diet to up her calories. She is on Nutramigen formula because of lactose issues and reflux. She has been on table foods for about 2 months, but still gags/chokes/etc on a lot of different foods. We offer her pretty much everything, but she is just not an eater. Even with formula, she only takes about 3-4 ounces at a time, if that. Baby or table food she always only wants a few bites. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks so much, we are really starting to get concerned......she seems so tiny.

July 19th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My son was the same way. Even now he'll rarely drink more than 5 or 6 oz at a time and he's nearly 2.

Can she have butter? You could add butter to her baby food or table food. I think a pat has 100 calories in it. Sour cream, guacamole, Ranch dressing or cream of mushroom soup mixed in with food can also add some calories. Those are off the top of my head, if I think of more I'll come back. I'm trying to remember what I did with Brandon at that age and I'm having a hard time remembering!
July 20th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Super Mommy
You should ask your pediatrician for a referral to a pediatric nutritionist. We had one two weeks ago with my now 7 week old daughter. She only drinks 10-14 ounces of formula a day (Neocate, a hypoallergenic formula), way below the 25 or so ounces she should consume. So the nutritionist calculated how many calories she needed to not only grow, but to catch up and get back onto her original growth curve. We now do 5 scoops of formula powder in 3 ounces of water based on her recommendation (the normal amount is 3 scoops per 3 ounces) and she is now gaining weight and getting close to being back on her growth curve. I would think you should be able to up the amount of scoops of formula used per ounce of water too - but I'd ask the ped how much to do or ask to talk to a nutritionist for them to tell you. Good luck!
- Xty

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search