Pediatric Ensure and Carnation Instant Breakfast

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2007, 04:48 AM
How did you convince your children to drink pediatric ensure? My little one absolutely hates it. When we gave it to her instead of milk she went on a 15 hour or so liquid strike. However milk is not giving her the calories that she needs, and she is not eating enough to gain the weight and height like she needs. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to get her to drink the ensure?

Note: Changed title to include another drink.
July 24th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My son just liked it, we didnt' have any problems. If your daughter is old enough to have whole milk you could add Ovaltine or Carnation Instant Breakfast to the milk and come up with the same amout of calories per serving. They come in a few different flavors, so she's bound to like something. My son now asks for chocolate milk all the time.
July 30th, 2007, 07:50 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I struggle getting Anna to take the Pediasure too. Some days she does terrific, some days she won't even take a sip. I did discover that she HATES the Pediasure in cans, but is ok with the one in the plastic bottles. Sucks, because my pediatrician was giving me whole cases of the cans as free samples. Now I have to shell out the $$$! I have had much better luck with adding some Carnation to her milk. She likes that much better.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
August 1st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Super Mommy
my little girl will not drink pedisue but likes nutren junior. And if you have the Dr. write a script it will be covered by insurance. It is completly covered for us and delivered to the house.

Mom to boys: G 7, C 5, K 4, N 3

August 12th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Well, we toughed out a rough night, but my little one has finally drunk 2/3 of a straw cup of Carnation Instant Breakfast. She ate very little yesterday, and when she turned down dinner, we decided to try the carnation. She took a few sips and seemed to tolerate it, but she refused to drink it or eat anything else after drinking 1/2 in. With every wake up last night we offered her carnation instant breakfast, she'd take a sip and refuse more. Finally, in the morning I made her eggs with cheese, she ate about six bites, and then stopped. (She thought that she was going to get milk.) When she was only given carnation instant breakfast after that, she finally decided to drink it. Then she gulped down about 2/3rds the straw cup. I am happier that I have something with calories that she can drink down, but I'm trying to figure out how to use it. Do I need to worry about her filling up on this and not eating? When do you use drinks like this? Morning, after meals, night, with meals? I'd greatly appreciate any insights and pitfalls your willing to share.

Thanks.
August 12th, 2007, 09:13 AM
One more question, how long can carnation instant breakfast be mixed with milk and stay in the fridge?

Thanks.
August 12th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Ok, I have one more question. Can Carnation instant Breakfast cause diarrhea? Rivkah just had a major bout.

Thanks.
August 14th, 2007, 06:14 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure if I'm doing it totally right, but I add about half a packet to every cup of milk she has during the day. She has the milk/Carnation with each meal, although I don't offer it to her until she looks like she's eaten most of what she will eat. I want to make sure she doesn't fill up on it all before she eats, but it's nice to know she gets the extra calories and nutrition. She's thirsty after eating most of her meal, so she gulps it down readily.

About the mixing, I don't know. I've been adding it to each individual cup and stirring it in that way. And on the diarrhea, not sure. Maybe when she started it, but definitely not now. She is usually constipated, so I know it's not a usual thing, at least not for her.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
August 14th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When we do the packets of CIB (Carnation Instant Bkfst) I make it in a Rubbermaid container (for liquids) and only make 1 package (8 oz) at a time. He'll finish it within the day, I just make sure to shake it up before giving him the remaining drink. Ususally I prefer to use Ovaltine cause I buy the big container and make it as I go. Sometimes I make it more chocolatey than others. If I really just want him to have plain milk and he insists on the chocolate I can control the amount I give him. He has it a lot during the day. BUT you really shouldn't use it as a meal replacement, the kids really need to be eating. This is just a way to help get more calories in them. Also, Brandons BMs were never effected by the drinks, he also has constipation issues.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search