What causes this?

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Super Mommy
Are there any specific reasons a baby/child develops "failure to thrive"? Meaning, are there any diseases that cause it? Do any of you know why your particular child has FTT or are we all in the dark here? Do kids "grow out of it" eventually? I'm new to all this and so confused. Sarah is now 2 months old and we're still battling this and it makes me nervous to see how old some of your kids are - will we still be battling this when Sarah is that old too? Sigh. Our ped keeps trying to find the cause of her lack of appetite - she takes in less than half the formula she should per day and vomits 1-2 times a day (whole bottles). But Im beginning to wonder if we'll never find the cause?
- Xty
July 30th, 2007, 07:54 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From what I've gathered, there are a lot of different health problems that cause it. However, in my DD's case and a few others, there doesn't seem to be any real health reason. It's such a frustrating problem. Sorry you are going through it too!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
July 30th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
From what I've gathered, there are a lot of different health problems that cause it.[/b]
So what are the different health problems? I'd love to hear any that anyone knows about - so I can research them to see if perhaps that's what Sarah has...
Thanks,
Xty
July 30th, 2007, 10:34 AM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I think there are too many to name. There are some diseases that require a lot of calories and the food intake can't keep up with the demand. Like I know there are girls on here with cystic fibrosis and a skin disorder that do this. There are also metabolic disorders or malabsorption that would make the body ineffective in processing the food that is eaten. You would be suspcious of those things that if she's eating well, but not gaining weight. Then there are also digestive issues like reflux or constipation that would make it very uncomfortable to eat. But I also imagine that there are tons more that just cause you to feel yucky. When I'm sick, even if it's just a cold, I feel like eating less, so I imagine any health issue could affect your appetite.

Then there is my daughter who so far appears to not eat "just because." I wouldn't go crazy researching some of these diseases unless you think your doctors aren't addressing these concerns. It's hard because my cousin's boy is 9 months old, was almost 6 weeks premature, spent two months in the NICU, and had severe reflux and spitting up. Despite all of that,he is still 7 pounds bigger than my 15 month old who has never had any issues at all!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
July 30th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
ditto everything rosalie said. there isn't anything specifically wrong with brandon. he didn't have issues until he was 6mo old, his cousin had issues at 12 mo old...some babies are born with issues. CF or NS are two issues that some of the kids have here but those are not the only reasons kids have issues gaining weight.
July 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks! She definitely has the "won't eat enough" issue and not the "eats lots but doesn't gain" so that rules a bunch out.

I know "CF" is cystic fibrosis (she was tested twice for this), but what is "NS"?

- Xty
July 30th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Netherton's Syndrome....it's a rather rare skin condition...you'd know by now if she had this. One of the girls has this (OceanChild's daughter) and FTT is one of the signs/symptoms of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search