Question regarding diagnosis

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2007, 04:25 PM
lovinglife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies, my name is Stacey and I'm mom to 11 month old Georgie. We had a pediatrician appointment yesterday because she's been losing weight and they took some blood and did a urine test and he said he thought her weight loss was due to failure to thrive. I know its hard to believe looking at the pic in my siggy! Georgie has always been a big girl, she weighed 24 pounds at her 4 month appointment but never really gained a significant amount of weight after that. She is currently 21.5 pounds. When she started losing weight we thought it was just due to being more active but it started falling off rapidly, we went down a size in diapers and her clothes started getting too big.

Isn't FTT usually diagnosed for babies with a low appetite? Georgie has a very healthy appetitive, she just isn't gaining weight. Did any of your little ones get a late diagnosis for FTT?

Here's a more recent pic, this was taken about a month after the ones in my siggy.

August 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi, we are in the Dec DDC together.

I'm not certain, but I think FTT might apply to any child that isn't keeping their same growth curve on the chart. Some kids on here have no appetite and don't eat much (like my son) and have a hard time gaining weight. Others eat just fine and still don't gain like they should. They can't find anything to pinpoint why my son doesn't want to eat, he's just not interested in food. They ran tests to see if his kindeys were working right, they considered testing to see if he had a malabsorption issue etc.

She looks very healthy to me, but doctors do get concerned when kiddos don't maintain their curve. My son had issues starting at 6mo but my nephew was FTT at 12 mo, so it's not unheard of to get a diagnosis a little later. At about 18 or 20 mo my nephew was cleared of everything though, once he started eating better and keeping his curve. HTH.
August 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
lovinglife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She looks healthy to us as well, she was always a chunk so now she just looks normal. All of her blood work came back OK. We've been given a specal diet for her and we have to take her back next Wednesday for a weight check. I think they are concerned because she lost about five pounds. Its frustrating, her last pediatrician said she was too fat and had us water down her formula for a few months (she wanted more than she should have per day). Now we can't feed her enough to put weight on her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search