Kinda new

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2005, 02:14 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone,
I've been completely MIA from JustMommies for most of the summer because my 3 year old daughter, Anika who has multiple medical issues as well as mild cerebral palsy started losing weight. She's 30" tall, and was weighing 33 lbs in June, and went to 28 lbs. 2 weeks ago. She has severe GERD, and had a fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair on August 8. The surgery went fine, except she couldn't move up from clear liquids. Everytime she tried to eat anything thicker than that, she'd double over in pain and wretch for a half hour- it was horrible. The surgeon discharged us a week later thinking she'd do better at home. We were home for a week where I did nothing but try and get some nutrition in her besides broth and popsicles- I couldn't get in to see our surgeon, and went to 2 other Dr's who said that I needed to see the surgeon. Needless to say, a week after discharge she was admitted to the PICU for dehydration and acidoses. We went to the Peds floor 3 days later, and there we remained for 14 days! The end result is that the surgeon made the wrap ( too tight so that nothing but clear liquids can pass comfortabley without pain. The surgery can't be undone. There is a possibility that the DR can dilate the opening in a couple of months, but with her history of trachealmalacia- the risk for esphageal perferation is higher than most. So, she came home yesterday with a G-tube/Mic-Key button; where sh'es getting 100% nutrtion for now.

FYI- Nissen Fundoplication is when the wrap the lower portion of the stomach around the top part and the base of the esophagus creating a one way valve down the stomach- so content cannot be refluxed back up (to the lungs in Anika's case).

A Hiatal hernia is when the stomach comes up through the diaphram- Anika's comprimised 1/3 of her diaphram!

Tracheal malacia- the trachea is soft and floppy making it easily collapse and cut off airway

Anyway, I don't know if Anika is considered FTT anymore (she was as an infant)

</div>
September 13th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haven't been here for a while either.

At 33lbs before losing weight she would not be FTT. Nadia was FTT at 1 year, she turned 3 in April and was 27lbs. She suddenly gained 2lbs 2 weeks before her bday. She is around 29 on my scale, but my scale weighs me heavy so I don't know if she really is 29lbs. On her baby board there are kids who weigh less and in her playschool(from what I could tell this morning) she's on the small side, but there are a couple her size or slightly bigger. She was on the chart at her 3rd bday, i can't remember how high. It was around 5%.

I hope the surgeon can dilate it. How is she handling the tube?
September 22nd, 2005, 05:34 PM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At 33lbs before losing weight she would not be FTT. Nadia was FTT at 1 year, she turned 3 in April and was 27lbs. She suddenly gained 2lbs 2 weeks before her bday. She is around 29 on my scale, but my scale weighs me heavy so I don't know if she really is 29lbs. On her baby board there are kids who weigh less and in her playschool(from what I could tell this morning) she's on the small side, but there are a couple her size or slightly bigger. She was on the chart at her 3rd bday, i can't remember how high. It was around 5%.

I hope the surgeon can dilate it. How is she handling the tube?
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/quote]

Yes, I know that she was not FTT at 33 lbs. Her weight was not a concern for the first time in her life when she weighed 33 lbs.
She handles the tube quite well for the most part.

</div>
September 24th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad she is okay with it. Some things these little ones go through they can't really understand.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search