Rude woman at the grocery store

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2007, 12:46 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I went to the grocery store today real quick for a few things. Anna is sitting there in cart happily chatting away. I had given her my keys, and she was showing off to everyone "Mama keys! Mama keys!" This old woman comes up behind me and goes, "Excuse me, how old is that baby?" I was a little taken aback by how she said it, thinking she was going to lecture me on something I was no doubt doing wrong, like letting her play with my keys. I said 16 months.

"NO!!" she says as she lets her jaw drop. "She's tiny for 16 months isn't she? 16 Months?"

"Yes, she is small," I said.

"Wow! It's incredible how small!" then she turns around and goes, "Hey Barbara! Come over here! Guess how old this baby is!"

I kind of kept walking to see if I could slide out of this situation, but the woman just got louder as her friend came along.

"Look at her! Guess how old!" Her friend shrugged and then goes, "16 MONTHS! Can you believe that?! 16 Months!"

"No kidding! She's tiny for 16!" her friend said. I just kept walking.

What, is Anna some kind of freak show or something?? I'm used to the "tiny" comments because I get them every single time I go out, and what can I say? She IS tiny, so it doesn't bug me anymore! Surprisingly, I wasn't very hurt by this episode. More kind of baffled about how rude people can be. Would you ever act that way about someone else's child?? Of course, I almost always get how cute she is, and very often get what a little peanut she is, but why do you act like that? I hope people cut out this kind of ridiculous behavior by the time she's old enough to understand what they're doing. I was always self-conscious about my height growing up (shortest in my class every year until puberty, now I'm totally average at 5'6"), so I can't imagine how I would have felt if people went off on how small I was like that. She's a person, not a dog or something.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
September 7th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ugh, people are soo rude. I've gotten comments like that about Brandon too, it's hard to know how to respond sometimes. IMO, people like that don't deserve a reply. Even still Brandon is the smallest of his cousins/friends...people fail to remember he's usually the youngest too HUGS, that was really rude!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search