Too small in weight and height

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Regular
My child is small with both weight and height. The doctors just recently did a growth hormone test but, they said that there was no growth hormone problem. He is drinking Scandishake and the doctors said they think it has helped him gain weight a little but, not much. They want to do more tests but, the growth hormone test was hard enough. Are all of your children small in height also or just weight? Any advice to help my child with not just weight but, height too? He is in a playgroup with other children his age and they are all a lot bigger than he is. He looks so tiny.

October 9th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry, we just had issues with weight, not height, although he's been consistantly in the lower percentiles for height as well (about 10%). I'm not sure if there is anything you can do for that.
October 9th, 2007, 07:18 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anna's height was always average, even when her weight was no where near the chart. I can't help with that, unfortunately. It sounds like you are giving him plenty of calories with the Scandishake. I think that's about all you can do until you figure out if there is something else going on. I hope these tests go well. Good luck!

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
October 10th, 2007, 04:51 AM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
Paige is tall. She has always been like 90-95% for height but her weight is not even close to being on the charts.
My older dd Alexis is not considered FTT. She is small for both weight and height however, they are not concerned because she is proportionate for weight and height. Also she is following her own curve...she is growing and gaining weight...she is just small for her age. She is and has always been around 10% for both weight and height.

October 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When they did the growth hormone test, did he get the pill and the shot and have blood drawn at 1 hour and 2 hours post pill and shot? Or did they just draw blood levels and look for IGF-1 levels?

The IGF-1 levels are an indirect method of measuring growth hormone. GH stimulates the liver to produce IGF-1 and that is how the IGF-1 levels are used to indirectly measure GH. The GH stimulating test, the pill and the shot, are substances (I forget what they are) that stimulate the pituitary to produce GH. One peaks GH production at 1 hour, and the other peaks at 2 hours post. In this test, they compare the post stimulation levels to the baseline levels. The magic number is 10. They like to see the levels rise above 10. If not, then there may be some problems.

Who did the GH tests? Was it an endocrinologist?

My dd was diagnosed with her GH defficiency at almost 3 years of age. We had to do the stim tests in order to have the insurance cover it. Other than that, her IGF-1 levels were right at the low end of normal. She was small for her age in both height and weight (>10%) but she still did maintain her own curve, it was just a very slow growing curve.
October 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Regular
They did the growth hormone test at an endocrine clinic. Yes, they kept him at the clinic for about 3 hours and drew blood about every half hour. They gave him a medication halfway through the tests to stimulate the growth hormone. They did not give us any baseline numbers, all they said was that he passed the test and therefore did not have any growth hormone deficiencies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search