Testing now at this stage??

Forum: FTT and Weight Gain Issues

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To FTT and Weight Gain Issues LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
AnnaBananasMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Today, Anna saw a new pediatrician for her 18 month appointment since her previous one left. I decided to stick with the practice and see who the new one would be before I thought about looking for someone new. We couldn't talk too much because Anna decided to throw the fit of her life for no apparent reason, so I have no idea what to think of this new doctor.

Anyway, this pediatrician was surprised that at no point in all of these months of nutritionists, GI appointments, feeding team visits, etc. have there been any tests done. Frankly, I was always surprised about this too. She is ordering a whole series of tests for Anna after talking to the GI she has been seeing to see if there is a specific reason that no tests have been run on her.

I'm having mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I always thought it was weird that I'm running to all of these appointments and going through such extraordinary means of having Anna gain minimal amounts of weight yet simple test were shrugged off. I mean, hello, I actually butter her Cheerios, ok?? There is always that little nagging part of me that wonders if something hasn't been missed along the way. However, I have asked all of these experts multiple times, and none of them ever found reason to believe her weight issues would have anything to do with anything other than her lack of eating. I feel almost silly after 6 months of dealing with all of this to get a new general pediatrician who hasn't been a part of this whole saga suggest checking. I feel bad about submitting Anna to all those needles and tests when in all likelihood, everyone else is right that there is nothing wrong. The fact is, Anna doesn't eat hardly anything, so that is a clear reason for her weight.

So, I'm having to take her into the lab at some point this week and also have to attach a bag to her to collect her urine. I feel bad about all of this when most of me feels like I'm just having to humor this doctor who I don't even know when she mentions things like Celiacs. Still, it might be nice to KNOW for sure. Ugh. I don't know what to think.

Video Montage of Anna's First Year
November 7th, 2007, 09:11 AM
fiefer87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know it seems silly at this point, but I am absolutely amazed that no testing has been done to date. There are some GI illnesses and disorders that cause discomfort when eating so the person stops eating, or eats very little. I have irritable bowel syndrome, and when I have flareups, eating just makes me so uncomfortable, that I don't eat. Also, things like reflux, will cause the child to not eat as well. When we were being evaluated, we ran the whole gambit of testing as well. It sucked for my dd because everything turned out to be within normal ranges, but we needed to know. So it is possible that the could be an underlying GI problem that is contributing to Anna's refusal to eat. PLus, there are some GI disorders where nutrients from food cannot be absorbed, which will decrease weight gain as well.

I know, as a mom, I would want these tests to be done, even if they turn out to be negative, because there could be some underlying issues that are contributing to Anna's refusal to eat.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that everything comes back normal for you guys.

November 16th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know how you feel. My Carly is 15 months and weighs 18 pounds. This is the second time she has had blood drawn and has had 2 x-rays done (for a cough). Now the doctor wants to test for cystic fibrosis. I hate putting her through all of this, but I want to make sure that there is nothing wrong with her.

November 17th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
In my opinion, it's better to know. At least, that's how I treated Brandon's issues. We've done multiple blood and urine tests (bag and catheter), sweat test for CF, ultrasound to check his kidneys, upper GI for reflux etc and they never found anything wrong with him. Like Anna, if he would just eat, he'd gain weight. Once they ruled everything out they put him on meds to increase his appetite and it really helped. Just before his 2yr bday in Sept he was cleared by all doctors and delcared to "just be small". Personally, I feel better knowing that there is nothing wrong with him AND for us getting ready to have another baby I've maybe helped to establish that it's a genetic thing if anything is wrong with his ability to gain weight. It's a personal decision and there are lots or reasons to be apprehensive. It's hard seeing your baby stuck with needles! For us, the combo of the Periactin meds and the Scandishakes made ALL the difference but we wouldn't have had that option if we hadn't gone through with the test to make sure nothing else was wrong. Let us know what you decide.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search